Megapoint Controllers

• RMweb Premium

Although I've not experienced this myself on my DCC layout, Dave does a firmware upgrade (board version 1.8f on) with a mode to alieviate this by powering down the servo after each movement.

This is correct, and there is also the possibility of a hardware upgrade (new for old - little bit more expensive) - depending of what version you own. 

I like the idea of quiet servos so I upgraded all 4 boards I have.

Although I've not experienced this myself on my DCC layout, Dave does a firmware upgrade (board version 1.8f on) with a mode to alieviate this by powering down the servo after each movement.

Should have added that MegaPoints boards supplied after 18 Sept 2017 are supplied with this feature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is correct, and there is also the possibility of a hardware upgrade (new for old - little bit more expensive) - depending of what version you own. 

I like the idea of quiet servos so I upgraded all 4 boards I have.

I get quite a bit of chatter from my servos and like the thought of powering them down after they have moved. Can anyone advise what the hardware upgrade comprises and what it costs?. I am running the servo controller version 1.8 which I purchased in early 2017

thanks Rob

Edited by young37215

• RMweb Premium

If your servo controller is version 1.8 you do not need a hardware upgrade. A software upgrade will do. And this is £2.50 plus the postage for sending the PCB in.

Find here a link to the Megapoints upgrade page

https://megapointscontrollers.com/wp1/product-category/upgrades/

Best thing is to contact Dave per mail and tell him exactly which version of board you have. (This is printed on the PCB)

He will advise you what upgrade you need.

Edited by Vecchio

I get quite a bit of chatter from my servos and like the thought of powering them down after they have moved. Can anyone advise what the hardware upgrade comprises and what it costs?. I am running the servo controller version 1.8 which I purchased in early 2017

thanks Rob

Hi Rob,

The servos are not actually "powered down". After a delay the controller stops sending positioning pulses either by holding the servo's signal input continuously high or continuously low. The electronics in the servo are still "powered up".

The snag with this method is, if there is enough interference to trigger an unwanted excursion, the servo can move to an unknown position and remain there until the positioning pulses are turned on again the next time the operator changes the servo's position.

Andy

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been using my 2 servo controllers to control pointwork on my layout ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119560-west-highland-line-v4/page-3&do=findComment&comment=3074604 ) for several months now and have got comfortable with them. The servo controllers are linked to a Multipanel which I have been driving using the pop on switch which can control 2 servo controllers. Now I want to add more servo controllers I need to change how I control them and so my next step is to develop a control panel. Having reviewed the Megapoints videos, I also decided to upgrade my Multipanel to the newer 'plug and play' option. For an electrical dotard like me, the simplicity appears perfect. I bought the various bits from Megapoints and started to build the control panel.

My outline plan, a control panel for 4 stations and a fiddle yard.

post-24755-0-24223000-1520354966_thumb.jpg

Control panel with Megapoints Multipanel with 2 each of the Switch and LED expansion boards which allows switches for 6 Servo Controllers and control of up to 72 servos.

post-24755-0-09934100-1520356445_thumb.jpg

Garelochead station 'drilled' with switches installed

post-24755-0-19228300-1520355105_thumb.jpg

Garelochead again from below

post-24755-0-60850400-1520355137_thumb.jpg

Garelochead with LED's connected

post-24755-0-44811800-1520355178_thumb.jpg

Underside of the control panel with 80% of the required wires installed.

post-24755-0-80595600-1520356056_thumb.jpg

All in all the activity has been straightforward and, once again, just as shown in Megapoints videos on Youtube. There is a lot of wires involved but the 'plug and play' approach made this easy if just a little fiddly. When powered up all of the appropriate LED's lit up but before I could test changing them I made a power connection error and managed to reverse the voltage to one of the expansion boards. The result is that everything has stopped working! I am not sure what damage I have done and have just packaged the expansion boards and Multipanel up to send them back to Dave Fenton for his assessment. Watch this space for further developments.......

Edited by young37215
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The newer generation of boards have all rectifiers at the DC input - so no matter what polarity you connect them - you will not ruin them. I suppose all is still ok.

Have currently 4 controllers running (and one extension on the mimic board as it serves 2 controllers). So far I am all happy with it. I didn't use plug and play but made my own lead and connectors - due to that I have no loose hanging wires - all are in the right length. Making these connectors requires a special crimping tool and after some learning phase it works very well.

Vecchio

Edited by Vecchio

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have previously asked the question without a definitive reply.

I'm sure an email to Dave will get some help and assistance, which is my option when I get onto the board with the 3 ways on.

Mike.

Edited to give Steve the name he was born with. I blame the heat!

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Premium

Dave, you mean?

Why would a slip be an issue? Two servos, two switches. Just consider it two points back to back.

Three way point slightly harder I guess, you’d ideally want a three position switch, but I can’t quite decide if that’d work... otherwise again, two servos, two switches. Not any different to any other motor?

Edited by njee20
  • Like 1

Three way point slightly harder I guess, you’d ideally want a three position switch, but I can’t quite decide if that’d work... otherwise again, two servos, two switches. Not any different to any other motor?

You could use a single-pole double-throw centre-off switch like this to operate a 3-way point.

It will "feel" like a 3-way switch but the centre position leaves both Megapoints inputs disconnected and both servos will adopt their "off" position which should set the point to the middle road.

Edited by Fastdax
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, I have 3 Mega points DCC boards and point boards 36 servos and loads of leads for sale if any body is interested please PM me, reason for sale is ill health

Regards,

Steve

Just so that Steve doesn't get numerous replies, I have bought his Megapoints stuff. Thanks Steve, all the best my friend.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, Dave Fenton tells me there is no problem using a single-pole double-throw centre-off switch with this arrangement (below) if you are not using the MultiPanel and router which automates all of this.

The problem being though that there are also left and right hand 3 ways which wouldn't conform to this theory?

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, it’s not about left or right, all three way points comprise two tie bars which have two positions. Thus a centre off switch will always work by virtue of having 3 states.

Agreed, it’s not about left or right, all three way points comprise two tie bars which have two positions. Thus a centre off switch will always work by virtue of having 3 states.

Except that for two tie-bars there are four possible states. (Although one of them might not be allowed.)

• RMweb Premium

Except that for two tie-bars there are four possible states. (Although one of them might not be allowed.)

For a Peco asymmetric turnout, that's exactly the case. 

To turn right, it doesn't matter what the second tiebar does.

(Symmetric 3 ways are a different matter and the work of the devil.................)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

For a Peco asymmetric turnout, that's exactly the case. 

To turn right, it doesn't matter what the second tiebar does.

(Symmetric 3 ways are a different matter and the work of the devil.................)

I'd show you the truth table but some of the rude words would get me in trouble.

I will do it then:-

Left    Left

Right  Right

Left   Right

Right  Left

The crossed out one either does nothing useful or will result in mechanical interference so is the one to avoid.

Having just wired a couple of symmetric Peco code 100 turnouts using Peco motors  and using John Essex's diode matrix wiring diagram, the 3 position on - off - on switch for servo control appears to be a more appealing proposition.

As Suzie says: motor 1 Right, motor 2 Right (closest to the frogs) for each of the tie bars gives you the Left track, Left Left gives you Right track, and motor 1, left and motor 2, right will get you down the centre track,so hopefully that now is that as clear as mud!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

With reference to Steve's post #214, I have up to three (3) MegaPoints DCC Modules for sale versions 1.0, 1.1 and 1.3. (Don't know if the version makes any difference.) They are currently programmed for addresses 1-36.  PM me if interested before they go on Ebay. Thanks.