MRJ 242

MartinWales

(sausages, although other foodstuffs are available - but when it comes to fishy puns, I suspect that the whiting is on the wall).

Maybe , in the style of a good 1970's European Art-house film which would usually include a train, a scene of people reading magazines and neked wimmin, we should end this thread now?

>>>   FIN   <<<

Now two days after I first saw it in Smiths, it still hasn't arrived. I hope it will eventually, but at the moment I feel as if I 'm being treated as a captive audience.

"Smiths" is quite appropriate to this issue too .....

(I'll say no more to spoil it if yours hasn't arrived yet)

Well I have a copy frae the local WHS.

Having peeled through the pages, I'm a bit peaved no one mentioned the Cattle Van article.

Anyhow, off to the local frying emporium for some sausage and chips.

Chippy sauce anyone?

• RMweb Premium

I find it outrageous that you should ask this question.

As you should know by now, these threads resolve entirely around one question (is it out yet?), one grumble (why has my right of receiving a postal copy before they are in the shops been ignored again?)*, and a diversion (sausages, although other foodstuffs are available - but when it comes to fishy puns, I suspect that the whiting is on the wall).

Anything else is simply bad taste, old bean.

* I thought that the point of a subscription was to be guaranteed a copy, and to not have to go to the effort of visiting the shops and running the risk of meeting ordinary (non-railway modelling) people, but it appears from some comments that the main point is to get a copy before anyone else.

You missed the most divisive topic, the size of your flanges!!

Tin hat and coat and I'm gone.

.....seems more like the Mandy, Rachel, Jennifer thread to me.

I collected 242 out of Leek an hour ago and have now settled into the armchair to savour the contents. As usual the various articles all look appealing and whether they relate to my modelling period/area or not I'll still be having a thorough read of them.

Keep up the good work guys

Dave

• RMweb Gold

.....seems more like the Mandy, Rachel, Jennifer thread to me.

I collected 242 out of Leek an hour ago and have now settled into the armchair to savour the contents. As usual the various articles all look appealing and whether they relate to my modelling period/area or not I'll still be having a thorough read of them.

Keep up the good work guys

Dave

Supposed to be potatoes not leeks Dave, wrong vegetable.

Mike.

Sorry to butt in, but I must say that my local newsagent has had 242 since the end of last week...

Its Quite Interesting and the spuddy story is nice - once spent a weekend on the bend at Outwell, fixing a leaking sterntube, you know.....

• RMweb Gold

Subs copies now appear to be arriving, probably to the collective sound of knickers being untwisted up and down the country. So, because I don't think it's been done yet:

Contents:

Small Suppliers Forum

Tales from the Chitting Shed - Iain Rice

Lowleigh Part 2 - Peter Harrison

LMS Cattle Truck - Gerry Beale

Improved Lining - Rodney Cooper

An Update on Llanfair - Roger Lycett-Smith

Ex-LNER B2 61632 Belvoir Castle - Tom Mallard

Croft - Mike Palmer

Optical Wheel Quartering using a Laser - Douglas Smith

Real Atmosphere

Two 4mm Bedfords - Paul Karau

Letters

Diary

Plus several Portfolio features:

Sidmouth - Richard Harper

Bourne End Signals - Peter Squibb

St. Ambrose - Gerry Beale

Note: Edited because there are actually more articles than listed on the "contents" page, as I found whilst reading :-)

• RMweb Premium

MRJ arrivals have always been a bit, shall we say, erratic. Sometimes it is problems with distribution. Sometimes it is at the printers and sometimes it is last minute hold ups at Wild Swan/Cygnet.

I would have thought that after all these years people would have got used to the little foibles of this lovely publication, put together in a way that reminds us that people used to sometimes manage to create great things without relying totally on  computers to do it.

To me, it is all part of the charm and appeal of the magazine.

Anyway, I picked up a nice crisp copy from the shelves of Smiths in Doncaster yesterday. Pretty much all the current crop of railway magazines are so "over produced" by folk with fancy computer publishing software. It is an absolute joy to pick up and read a publication that feels as though it has been put together by real people, with a great deal of love and affection for the subject matter.

MRJ seems to let the modelling do the "wow" bit, rather than an "in your face" brash approach where people are trying to convince us that the modelling is superb by wrapping it up in fancy presentation.

When magazines have to put fancy little bubbles round the photos telling you that what is in the picture is "amazing" then it only makes me wonder why I couldn't work that out for myself.

I haven't seen that yet in MRJ and I don't think that I ever will. Which is why it is the only magazine I buy now. Good (often superb) modelling. No 15-20 pages of reviews. No 50% plus of pages with adverts, often mixed in with the editorial content so you can't tell when one ends and the other begins. Articles where the text doesn't go all over the photos and jump about on the page so you have to search for the next bit to read. Long may it continue.

I actually enjoy the surprise factor in the arrival time. Life can be so dull and predictable sometimes.

Tony G

Archived