MRJ 242

MartinWales

Postie brought my subscription copy a little while ago.  A brief skim through reveals much of interest.  It will get a proper read in bed tonight once I have dealt with the clocks.

Subject to that, I have a few comments.  "Tales from the Chitting Shed" by Iain Rice is as fine a piece of his lyrical prose as one could desire.  Irrespective of the subject, the man can write entertainingly and I would not dissent from the view expressed by others that he is perhaps the finest communicator in the hobby.  Gerry Beale has done one of his proper jobs on the new Parkside cattle truck and I will pay careful heed when I tackle one of the two that I have awaiting their fate.  I am glad to learn that the rumours are true, namely that Richard Harper's Sidmouth will be featured in issue 243 and if the preview photos are not enough to set the mouth a-watering then nothing will.

There is, so far, only one downside.  Rodney Cooper's exquisite coaches always look fine in glorious technicolour but the fully panelled vehicle is mis-described as a D95.  As it is in fact a 70 ft Toplight brake third I hope that Hornby do not fear that they are making the wrong thing.

Chris

Tom Mallrd's B2 is ingenious and lovely, but am I alone in struggling with some of the captions? They seemed, at times, to refer to photos which were not included, and I couldn't follow the description of setting the return crank: a drawing might have been a better way to explain it...

You have to remember that these things are only meant to tease. If Stella Artois revealed his secrets, people might do it for themselves instead of paying him up to five figure sums for masterworks like these.

I picked my copy up on Thursday in PZ..
It feels like many of the early editions with the range of articles etc.,  

This one I've enjoyed reading all the way through, which is not something I have been able to say for a few years.

Perhaps it's Iain Rice's article that's given me this 'comfortable' homely feeling.

A good edition, I believe.

The review of Modelu3d point rodding stools, was perhaps a little ahead of the game, and an error in the pricing.

When I went to the website http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/  there was no mention of the Stools,  however a very quick response from Alan to my email gave me the details I required and the website being updated.
The cost by the way is 10p per roller, not 5p.
I took the view that my requirements which included, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 roller stools to a total of just under 200 rollers, at £20 was far better value for my time than trying to assemble various etched brass kits available (I have the etches, just can't be bothered to spend time making them, let alone see what I'm doing).

• RMweb Gold

"Agreed - and the reference to Roy Jackson in the Trade Grapevine made me smile!​"

I added that to the end of the press release, I thought it might not get printed, I just hope Roy sees the funny side!

I laughed out loud when I read that - nice one David.

Regards

Dan

You have to remember that these things are only meant to tease. If Stella Artois revealed his secrets, people might do it for themselves instead of paying him up to five figure sums for masterworks like these.

Possibly true, but if he wrote an article that relied on the use of a vertical mill, lathe, custom etching and casting and maybe even a pantograph then people would complain about that too.

Just enjoy them for what they are, very nice models.

Craig W

Gerry Beale has done one of his proper jobs on the new Parkside cattle truck and I will pay careful heed when I tackle one of the two that I have awaiting their fate.

Indeed - but he did omit to mention something that I discovered by looking at the prototype photos in his article.

Parkside have moulded the independant brakegear back-to-front.

Don't, (as I did), assemble it detailed side outwards - and if you do, don't wait, (as I did), until next day to discover your mistake.

Taking a pair of pliers to a nicely completed model to extract the errant brakegear is not conducive to a calm disposition - and I have my pacemaker to consider !!

The annoying thing?

Mr. Beale must have realised this as HIS model is correct in the brakegear department.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Indeed - but he did omit to mention something that I discovered by looking at the prototype photos in his article.

Parkside have moulded the independant brakegear back-to-front.

Don't, (as I did), assemble it detailed side outwards - and if you do, don't wait, (as I did), until next day to discover your mistake.

Taking a pair of pliers to a nicely completed model to extract the errant brakegear is not conducive to a calm disposition - and I have my pacemaker to consider !!

The annoying thing?

Mr. Beale must have realised this as HIS model is correct in the brakegear department.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks for the warning, now my cattle trucks go back to the end of the line until MRJ 242 swims the Atlantic.

Cheers,

David

I've only just picked up a copy from Smiths and the immediately striking thing, from my perspective, is the quantity and quality of road vehicle photos in conjunction with Iain Rice's piece on Bob Barlow's layout plan. These, as well as being superbly evocative, will prove very, very useful. Paul Karau's Bedfords, which are not, strangely, on the contents page, are also rather natty models. Perhaps all these are insufficiently 'railway' to attract comment?

Adam

Another good un.

I like the trailer for Tollesbury Quay.

I love the typical MRJ caption about a building being "still there" when referring to a fictional layout.

To continue the theme, a photo taken fro a few yards to the right of the photographer's position in the first shot.

For those not familiar with the real thing the railway crossed the road a few hundred yards to the left and curved away to reach the coast, rather than heading for the quay.

Bernard

Archived