Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Wishlist Poll 2015

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere in the blurb for all that, either from Bachmann themselves or from Kernow, the possibilities for the 116 and 118 were left open. These could be models from Bachmann's main range or Limited Editions from Kernow - that bit was not made clear at all.

The only thing that was said was by Kernow that there would be a future announcement. Seems pretty tenuous. Bachmann have said nothing on it. The impression I'm getting is that Bachmann announced a 117 ,DJ ,the original manufacturer , has stated it releases capacity for other projects and so it appears they are not considering making a 116/118 (which seems logical given Bachmann is doing a similar dmu). In fact the announcement of 117 seems to be a un announcement of 116/118. I think there is a case of having the 116 in the poll as no one has definitely announced they are making one.

The only thing that was said was by Kernow that there would be a future announcement. Seems pretty tenuous. Bachmann have said nothing on it. The impression I'm getting is that Bachmann announced a 117 ,DJ ,the original manufacturer , has stated it releases capacity for other projects and so it appears they are not considering making a 116/118 (which seems logical given Bachmann is doing a similar dmu). In fact the announcement of 117 seems to be a un announcement of 116/118. I think there is a case of having the 116 in the poll as no one has definitely announced they are making one.

Given the way some manufacturers are now announcing products but not actually delivering them within reasonable (sic) timescales, perhaps the team may wish to review its policy on whether or not to leave something in the poll?

As an example take Bachmann's phantom 158, announced in 2011 but, according to the most recent update from them, still in their design studio, with no production date indicated. Assuming their normal 18 month to 2 year window (though I'm not sure that makes any sense, given how long it has already taken), that suggests it may appear during 2017 - six years after announcement. 

I am not sure why a manufacturer should be allowed to play "bagsies" with prototypes when there are fewer and fewer of them (at least the diesel ones) left to produce.

Paul

Just cast your vote please otherwise there will be hundreds of similar posts (pointlessly) promoting personal interests. Any 'campaigning' posts may be removed.

Apologies Andy, I misunderstood the post. Vote now cast.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Sorry , I know I'm "off on one "again! I was disappointed when the 117 was announced, because I was looking for a 116. I appreciate for others it's the other way around. I just feel that the 116 is off the agenda and is now ignored in the poll, when people who actually want one should still have the chance to vote. I'm sure it would rank highly in dmu section along with the 120 , and perhaps even ahead of it.

No criticism of the poll team, it really is a stupendous piece of work , and I understand fully why they didn't include the 116 or 118 for that matter on the basis that has announced it. But is that really the case?

• RMweb Gold

Dear All

I'm catching up with you...

#49 Darrel

I'll get those items on the agenda for you.

#51/54 Legend

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place with the 116. Kernow announced the 116 but has not since 'un-announced' it, whereas they have specifically 'un-announced' the 117. Based on our policy that we do not include items announced, we have left it out and await news from Kernow (and we mentioned this on the Results up-date PDF a few posts back). Other makers have announced items only to change them during production. The Poll is never 'an exact science'! And it's even harder for the makers!

#52 Fenman

We keep non-appearing items under review and will make a decision on the 158 for next year. Whilst we have the policy of deleting announced items, that it always based on a reasonable production period.

Thanks all for writing.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

Hello again Legend

If you look back the Kernow Class 117 thread, you will find a link to the situation as at mid-September. Kernow said there (quote):

We have not forgotten the Class 116 and 118 and further news will be added to this web page when it becomes available.

That's pretty much why we took the decision to leave the 116 out for the moment. We had the 116 listed as Class 116/125 - so we need to take the latter into account as well.

Given the way some manufacturers are now announcing products but not actually delivering them within reasonable (sic) timescales, perhaps the team may wish to review its policy on whether or not to leave something in the poll?...

The reasonable and non-discriminatory method is to retain in the poll everything that has not yet gone on sale. If we wanted it, most of us go on wanting it until it is available to purchase.

There's an argument for subjects of 'one-off' batch runs re-appearing in the wishlist after some elapsed time too.

I realise all this adds to the work of the team, possibly even to a degree of 'too much!'.

• RMweb Premium

That's great feedback Brian, thanks for investigating. Thats also the statement from Kernow that I remember,but it could mean anything , even that they've eventually decided not to proceed.

There seem to be two possible options here

1. Bachmann make a 116 after they've done 117. With current Bachmann gestation periods that could be a long time as I imagine they wouldn't bring out a similar unit that could abstract sales from their 117 for at least 2 years after the 117 s out, so 4-5 years?

2. DJ continue with Kernow to bring out a 116, but that seems unlikely given comments made by Dave Jones that it releases capacity. Although he has never confirmed it I suspect that means DJ no longer working on it. I suppose Kernow could be talking to Dapol or Rapido

Maybe something to consider in next years poll. Again thanks for all feedback. Who knows Hornby could surprise us all in the next Engineshed!

• RMweb Premium

Hello again Legend

If you look back the Kernow Class 117 thread, you will find a link to the situation as at mid-September. Kernow said there (quote):

We have not forgotten the Class 116 and 118 and further news will be added to this web page when it becomes available.

That's pretty much why we took the decision to leave the 116 out for the moment. We had the 116 listed as Class 116/125 - so we need to take the latter into account as well.

You can do a lot with a Lima model

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64282-c301-116-dmu-modelled-from-lima/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1406211

Seeing the LNER tram locos in the list reminds me once again how surprised I am that no-one has produced one (any variety) yet. My gut feeling is that they are one of those models that have that 'must have' factor, far beyond the scope of just those that model that prototype.

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the LNER tram locos in the list reminds me once again how surprised I am that no-one has produced one (any variety) yet. My gut feeling is that they are one of those models that have that 'must have' factor, far beyond the scope of just those that model that prototype.

Hornby do Toby!

There are a few omissions I found surprising, though I will confess to not being totally au fait with all announced models- nevertheless, quick googling doesn't find my any.  These are for the 00 poll only...

GWR 850 ST

GWR 2021 ST

LMS Stanier Mogul (2-6-0 class 5)

BR class 90

I haven't cast my votes yet, but did find at least the latter two surprising omissions.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rich

You will find the first two listed in Locos: GWR & Constituents as:

0-6-0PT GWR Dean 1901 (850) (992,1903-2019 with many gaps)

0-6-0PT GWR Dean 2021/2181 (2021-2160, 2181-2190)

If you look at The Guide, you will see that they were built as Saddle Tanks, but most were rebuilt as Panniers. If the PT versions were ever made, we would look at listing STs separately.

The LMS Stanier Mogul and Class 90 have both been announced and have therefore been deleted.

Hope this helps.

Why can't we vote for improvements to models and stock which are already in the market such as the inaccurate Class 25s offered by Bachmann? I'm staying modelling HO US where the manufacturers encourage dialogue directly between customers and themselves and take note when their models are wrong and do something to correct them on future releases.

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hello Chris

If you have a look at The Guide, you will see The Purpose of The Poll.

We have looked into ways for pollsters to vote on liveries etc, but it all becomes a massive amount of work for pretty much nil return. I will put your idea on the agenda though.

Thanks.

#108 Devo63:

Suggested the three Collett 'Main Line & City' articulated sets. Sorry, we haven't listed them but they are on the agenda.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for keeping these in mind for a future poll. I've always thought that a manufacturer could sell these in 3 coach half sets to keep sale prices down.

This may have been covered in the past and, if so, please accept my apologies for bringing it up again. In a future poll do you think there could be a category for Pre-Group locomotives not by specific class but by wheel arrangement with a choice of railway companies? e.g. 4-4-0   LNWR, Midland, Caledonian, North British, Great Eastern, Highland etc.

As a fair amount of the major post 1923 and post 1948 steam designs seem to be covered there seems to be a trend by manufacturers to release earlier designs that survived into preservation. It would be interesting to see what type of extinct locomotives modellers would like to see.

An alternative question could be "For which of the following Pre Group companies would you like to see a ready to run locomotive produced?" and have a a choice of the major companies in existence between 1890 and 01/1923.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hello Devo63

I'm very hopeful that we'll get the coaches mentioned into next year's Poll. Rest assured they are on the agenda.

In respect of the locos, I will - of course - put the idea on the agenda. We believe, though, that the current format works well. You may recall that we were tasked in 2012 to 'rationalise' the content and most seem to think we have done that to a reasonable degree (from what people have said either on The Poll threads or via emails).

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hello Reeves

The Class 165 was in the 2012 Poll but polled very low votes - so I guess that's why we took it out for 2013. I didn't keep the list of suggestions for 2014, but there is nothing on the list for 2015. I will certainly put it on the agenda for 2016 for you, though.

Sorry, but we don't have any privileged information about this unit (or any other model).

Thanks.

About to submit my annual vote for the ex L&Y class 27, I noticed that  the second of the three links to illustrations,

http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p125564082/h7759570#h7759570

is actually of an ex Furness Railway D5 0-6-0, as re-boilered with an L&Y Belpaire boiler. In BR days the surviving examples of these locos were to be found in West Cumberland, my prototype area. A rtr model of the Furness loco seems unlikely, re-boilered or original, given their limited sphere of operation; but several of the L&Y ones worked alongside them, based at Moor Row and Workington, hence my interest. I think the L&Y locos with Belpaire boilers were class 28, as shown in the third of the picture links. Both classes 27 and 28 worked in West Cumberland.

Also, the description of the ex LNW Coal Tank suggests it 'came to market in 2015'. Did I miss something?

John Dickie

• RMweb Gold

Hello John

Thanks for writing. I'll have to take up your loco query with The Team, so it might be a few days before I can answer you.

Looks like 'a hiccup' with the statement about the Coal Tank!

Regards

Re the Class 70 (hornbys ) isnt there a  rensin kit of this loco  as there is a article in  this months  issue (december2015) issue how to build a  Class 70 ?

Didnt Bach mann come out with a  inpectors saloons  last year ? 

Archived