The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

Model Rail is the magazine with some Terrier photos....current issue, out now. (Not sure how much information though, only a quick flick through to date!)

(Not bought it though....I am getting the back-number with the Terrier feature "Improve the Hornby model", FEB 2002! should be in the post at the soon! ;) )

Real and model full details
Class history 1872 to 2002
Improve the Hornby model
Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Gold

So, multiple requests for an update seem to have happened! (all from the same person, but we'll ignore that bit!!)

As you will have seen from Linny's thread, (if you haven't then why aren't you reading it!!) I have been playing with my Silhouette cutter.

So for those of you that don't know what playing with a Silhouette cutter looks like, this is my first test with it:

post-22762-0-78136300-1522008647_thumb.jpg

I have heard from people that the Silhouette cannot cope with beading very well as it cannot make cuts that fine, I beg to differ!!

post-22762-0-15163900-1522008653_thumb.jpg

The biggest problem was my manhandling of the parts breaking them, however it did not take long to start being able to laminate multiple layers into something representing a Stroudley carriage:

post-22762-0-35073500-1522008656_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-28095000-1522008658_thumb.jpg

and once the duckets were built, I mocked up the carriage, so the boss could have a look:

post-22762-0-62277700-1522008660_thumb.jpg

He approved me continuing my work! It was close for a bit but he decided I deserved a chance!

So the rest of the walls were built and it started to go together nicely, at which point the boss showed up again!!

post-22762-0-98225000-1522008673_thumb.jpg

He wondered why I was making a carriage with no wheels, and gave me a long speech about how important wheels are to a carriage, I have proper plans for this in the future, but I wanted to see how accurate the dimensions on the Bachmann Stroudleys were. It turns out they are very accurate!!

post-22762-0-83739300-1522008678_thumb.jpg

Working on Linny's carriages gave me some motivation to play with the cutter a bit more, and although it took me a lot longer to make than I would like to admit, I do now have an unlimited supply of LB&SCR head code disks!!

post-22762-0-99484500-1522008669_thumb.jpg

I managed to cut over 130 of them from the leftover plasticard on the sheet for the Stroudley Brake, all in all not a bad for 50p of Plasticard!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 10

I should warn you, I had Sebastian's last sheet of 10 thou on Saturday morning... In my defence, I have been using it for strapping on a scratchbuilt LBSC van!

Looking good though, impressed at the level of finesse you can get from the silhouette. 

• Like 2

Looking good there, Gary! I think it might be possible to shorten the compartment dividers by lopping a bit off the bottom (and editing the inner end of the ducket) so that the whole body will sit on the Bachmann chassis. Maybe worth a try?

If you decide to do any of the other three designs, it should just need the bottom 3mm or so of the compartment dividers chopping off. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the whole thing fitted on a Bachmann chassis, but they are pretty much to scale, if you don't mind the fact that one wheelset is further away from the coach end than the other! That, and the full-third is probably a simpler shape, what with not having to form the duckets. How did you find that as a task, by the way?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I should warn you, I had Sebastian's last sheet of 10 thou on Saturday morning... In my defence, I have been using it for strapping on a scratchbuilt LBSC van!

Looking good though, impressed at the level of finesse you can get from the silhouette. 

Damn you!!!!!!!! I had best phone him and moan to get some more before I next go down then!!! I need a lot!!

Looking good there, Gary! I think it might be possible to shorten the compartment dividers by lopping a bit off the bottom (and editing the inner end of the ducket) so that the whole body will sit on the Bachmann chassis. Maybe worth a try?

If you decide to do any of the other three designs, it should just need the bottom 3mm or so of the compartment dividers chopping off. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the whole thing fitted on a Bachmann chassis, but they are pretty much to scale, if you don't mind the fact that one wheelset is further away from the coach end than the other! That, and the full-third is probably a simpler shape, what with not having to form the duckets. How did you find that as a task, by the way?

I imagine it would be quite easy to make it fit the Bachmann chassis, but I have a cunning plan for an easy scratch build!!

I have already cut all the other designs, I just haven't gotten around to building them yet. I had no issues with the duckets, but that is probably because of how flexible the 10 thou is. THey are very well designed carriages!! and it did not take much work to get the Silhouette to like them!!

Gary

• Like 3

A scratch-build, you say? You mean you don't want a copy of the chassis parts? (Probably not - the chassis needs three(!) layers of 1mm card to make up, which would be mean LOT of laminating plasticard...) Glad you're enjoying them though!

• Like 2

Here is a daft question...

Bachmann Stroudley coaches?

What have I been missing? ;)

Meanwhile...

Looking for Terrier (loco) stuff....not barking! ;)

http://www.nrm.org.uk/~/media/files/nrm/pdf/archiveslists/tech.../1975-7012-boxhill.pdf

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

KILLIAN!!!

What have I told you before about not posting such tempting pictures as that?!

There's me hoping to make a start on 'Bognor' soon, then you throw that one in... and the fact that there was the LCDR and GWR at Victoria then... 

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Here is a daft question...

Bachmann Stroudley coaches?

What have I been missing? ;)

Bachmann US produce what they call "Red Branch Line Coaches" in their 00/H0 Thomas the Tank Engine range. It has been noted that the brake-end has the distinctively Stroudley end ducket, and the non-brake-end is decidedly a Stroudley D43 four-compartment second - laying the body over a 4mm scale drawing shows that it is actually a pretty accurate model, as long as you ignore the underframe... :P Sadly the brake coach is generic rather than a specific diagram that I can find, but it's still got that Stroudley look to it.

Edited by Skinnylinny

• RMweb Gold

Killian,

That is an excellent shot!! and yes I would assume that is a Craven amongst Stroudley's. My question is what it the engine on the left?? I'm guessing that is also of Craven design!

Sarah,

The Bachmann Stroudley's are the USA Thomas Range ones I have been using, as seen behind Hailsham below.

post-22762-0-84205600-1522065311_thumb.jpg

Gary

PS. While typing this reply I got an email!!!!!! 

post-22762-0-20367000-1522065431.jpg

It's on its way!!! :danced: :danced: :danced:

• Like 7

Killian,

That is an excellent shot!! and yes I would assume that is a Craven amongst Stroudley's. My question is what it the engine on the left?? I'm guessing that is also of Craven design!

Sarah,

The Bachmann Stroudley's are the USA Thomas Range ones I have been using, as seen behind Hailsham below.

2017-04-15 14.17.39.jpg

Gary

Capture.JPG

I'm rather perplexed by that saddle tank myself, going by the Willesden destination board it was an LNWR machine, I've put up an enquiry on the LNWR society group on facebook
  • Like 4

Killian,

That is an excellent shot!! and yes I would assume that is a Craven amongst Stroudley's. My question is what it the engine on the left?? I'm guessing that is also of Craven.

This picture has been analysed for the recent book on LBSC Coaches. The Craven first is discussed in detail, with a drawing, and the LNWR loco on the Willesden train has been tentatively identified as 0-4-2ST No 1168.

• RMweb Gold

It’s a Special tank, on a suburban service via Clapham Junction to Willesden.

The coaches look to be in a plain colour, possibly brown, so they might be “workmen’s coaches”.

• Like 1

It’s a Special tank, on a suburban service via Clapham Junction to Willesden.

The coaches look to be in a plain colour, possibly brown, so they might be “workmen’s coaches”.

As I said, the LNWR loco has been identified, not by me, but by Premier Line experts, as an 0-4-2 saddle tank. There are many points of difference between the picture and a Special Tank, which would also have been an unlikely candidate for passenger service, being primarily a goods tank.
  • Like 5

Killian,

Sarah,

attachicon.gif2017-04-15 14.17.39.jpg

Gary

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Bluebell....Nice.....possibly my favourite....but all the colourful liveries are rather nice!

I note it is 2010s livery. No name plate.

Mine (Kit Built...) will in theory be 1970s livery....I believe she had a cast brass nameplate then?  Shewing my age again! ;) Memories of that Cradboard model kit!

I wil have to peruse the binders full of old Blubell New mags again!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Sarah,

Yes she had cast brass nameplates in the 1970's, painted red I believe!

Yes I had to get Bluebell after my impromptu driving experience last year, she does look good from inside the cab!!!!!

post-22762-0-39993000-1522100672_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 5