New southern EMU kits

crompton 33

Guest 40-something

Very poor mis-shapen mouldings for a ridiculous amount of money

Sorry to say that,but is true in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...

Always difficult in photos as they always highlight detail, but don't look as good as I would expect these days. One reason I think 3D printed ones might be better. I am looking at some Metroplolitan units , for my own HO project, but easy to resize. 

That picture of the assembled 313 in NSE looks awful.  I'm amazed that they are able to shift these.

The paintwork isn't bad but the grey stripe not matching up with the angled section by the cab just shows how wrong the shape of the bodies are when you compare it with the picture a bit lower on the page.

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully the 4DD will look right as a couple of those would be perfect.

Yes, right.

Seriously though, this lot's efforts so far don't exactly inspire confidence.

More to the point, the examples I've seen at shows have looked even worse than the photos.

I hate to be negative, but I think I'll give this lot a miss.

Huw.

Yes, right.

Seriously though, this lot's efforts so far don't exactly inspire confidence.

More to the point, the examples I've seen at shows have looked even worse than the photos.

I hate to be negative, but I think I'll give this lot a miss.

Huw.

Judging on the basis of the 507/508/313 I'm not hopeful. The website says they that they're looking for enough deposits to go ahead with the 4LAV and 4DD, on the basis of the 313 etc, I don't really see them getting many, if any.

Though the EPB/SUB looked ok when I last saw some.

I too will give them a miss.

• RMweb Gold

The ghost of MTK past...

Well I certainly wouldn't want one of the things at Christmas (or any other time of year, for that matter).

Some people might suggest that it looks like a steaming heap of "el crappo" - I couldn't possibly comment …

• RMweb Gold

Judging on the basis of the 507/508/313 I'm not hopeful. The website says they that they're looking for enough deposits to go ahead with the 4LAV and 4DD, on the basis of the 313 etc, I don't really see them getting many, if any.

Though the EPB/SUB looked ok when I last saw some.

I too will give them a miss.

They seem to be excepting deposits, an interesting variation?

Mike.

They seem to be excepting deposits, an interesting variation?

Mike.

Yes, I noticed that too!

I have built, or am in the process of building some of their SR kits. The ones I chose aren't too bad, and seemed to get better with each new release. Even so, some of the roof and end detailing is a bit coarse, and I replace the moulded on jumper cables with wire or finer cast whitemetal ones from MJT, but overall they look reasonable; certainly better than I could produce from scratch.

I have replaced the motor underframes with Hornby 2 BIL items, using bargain specials from Kernow Models and others. My efforts so far have included a 'tin' 2 HAL, a Bulleid 4 SUB, and a Bulleid-style BR 2 HAP.

I have looked at the 4 COR kit but deemed it too expensive, especially as i would wish to use a Hornby chassis again under a DMBS coach, which renders their fully motorised kit chassis surplus.

The 507/508 really doesn't look right at all. Much as I would like a 508, I will pass on this one.

• RMweb Premium

I don't pretend I could do as well, nor even anything approaching as well, but I'm happy to pass based on the photos as the 313 / 507 / 508 look truly awful.  Coarse detail, wrong shape, the painted sample looks like an experienced amateur job not one that might be offered for sale.  These I can live without.  But if the 4Lav is at the better end of the scale then maybe, just maybe ..... 

• RMweb Premium

post-1480-0-29357300-1469725998_thumb.jpg

nose to nose the n/2mm 3/4n sub against  a worsley works 207  to get the height down required using undersized wheels ( base chassis block for both units is the same)  removing all the moulded solebar and part of the body side, and considerable internal thinning, the supplied bogies where binned  but if you squint and stand twenty foot away it looks like a bit like a sub.

post-1480-0-14905100-1469726210_thumb.jpg

Nick

Is it me, or have they not even numbered it (the 313) properly?

31307 ???

The tragedy is that it ought to have been obvious to them that the cab windows were mis-shapen before they went into production, as witnessed by their own website photos.

At the risk of repeating myself, my scratchbuilt 508 cab can be seen here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109339-ayjay-class-507508-kit-project/?p=2241515

And the complete unit in operation here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88780-class-315-emu/?p=1543193

Apparently they will have an etched kit for a Tin HAL in the future. I hope to god they don't do the same thing they did to the 313..

An etched kit with 3d printed cabs would work well enough. But it depends on how much work they put into it. .

The resin 'tin' HAL comes up reasonably well, with the minor reservations I expressed earlier. I can say the same for the 4 SUB and the 2 HAP units, although I haven't finished those yet..

2HALrunningcondition3_zps37dddef7.jpg

2HALrunningconditionglazed3_zps00e45193.

6BILplus2HAL_zps589361ed.jpg

That promise of an etched Tin Hal has been on the site for years. 

They've got 3D printed Tin Hals but they are hard work to make presentable. Here's one (N gauge version) that I put together. The stratification effect of 3D printing is more apparent in 1:148 scale and it is very difficult (just about impossible) to negate it:

161043.jpg

160610.jpg

082354.jpg

G.

Archived