Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

Thanks for that Chris, so the driving car(s) traction motors are supplied with power from the diesel engines in the centre cars via batteries or is the power generated direct to the traction motors from the alternators.  If this is the case how is the phase balancing achieved.

Mike

Phases are balanced by having the same load on each phase 

If the motor control is  a VFD(variable frequency drive) & the motors at 3phase the balancing the phases ii taken care of by the VFD

If you meant how are the Gensets synchronised then this would be done by the on-board computers

When running on OH the transformer would be suppling power to the MC(motor control) gear & the genset sync sw's would be open

To change to diesel power the driver would operate a switch & the computer would take over.

It would start the Gensets & when it was up to proper running paramaters it would close the sycnro sw 

The OH supply syncro sw would be turner off & the Set would be running on 1 or more Gensets as required

The diagram is my thoughts on how the main traction components could be connected

post-28417-0-74778500-1521114210_thumb.png

As a retired electrician this is how I think it could be done

Of coarse I could be completely wrong

With regards to batteries to the best of my knowledge they are mostly for starting gensets, rising pantographs, supplying computers with power ,when the pan is down & gensets aren't running & emergency lighting

John

post-28251-0-52445400-1521119950_thumb.jpg

Test Train packs just arrived and I'm totally blown away by the detail/printing - incredible model. 

Still hoping Hornby bring out the coaches for this 

Edited by TFR
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

what would be the correct centre coaches? Just unliveried at moment ie white? Looks a lovely model but can't help think looks a little silly just as a 2 car. As others have pointed out it actually wouldn't be possible to move in the real thing

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

Phases are balanced by having the same load on each phase 

If the motor control is  a VFD(variable frequency drive) & the motors at 3phase the balancing the phases ii taken care of by the VFD

If you meant how are the Gensets synchronised then this would be done by the on-board computers

When running on OH the transformer would be suppling power to the MC(motor control) gear & the genset sync sw's would be open

To change to diesel power the driver would operate a switch & the computer would take over.

It would start the Gensets & when it was up to proper running paramaters it would close the sycnro sw 

The OH supply syncro sw would be turner off & the Set would be running on 1 or more Gensets as required

The diagram is my thoughts on how the main traction components could be connected

attachicon.gif800 power.png

As a retired electrician this is how I think it could be done

Of coarse I could be completely wrong

With regards to batteries to the best of my knowledge they are mostly for starting gensets, rising pantographs, supplying computers with power ,when the pan is down & gensets aren't running & emergency lighting

John

This probably isn't the right thread, but....

Your scheme makes sense but if my memory is correct then - as seems to be the norm for high speed unit electric trains - there is what looks like a high voltage (single phase) bus running along the top of the train.

• RMweb Gold

Just to throw my spanner in....

The IEP (IET) 5 car sets use 3, 12Cyl 'Power Packs' supplied by MTU that were specifically developed for this train. The 9 car sets use 5 Power Packs and therefore it seems that there must be an intermediate trailer of some description as mentioned previously.

As for the Test Train, I can't understand why Hornby haven't produced the coaches - being really picky, surely this is a misleading description of goods?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Although Hornby show the Test Train packs as sold out, the online New Modellers Shop show one for sale at RRP, whereas a well-kent auction site has them at considerably more...

And, yes, be good if the centre coaches were added at some stage.

Mal

In case anyone missed them the first time @ a respectable price as well. Have been quite impressed with Jadlam, purchasing a few Hornby Items at very good prices recently (not everything is a good price though and no Bachmann). Managed to sweet talk my wife...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Loco-R3579-Hitachi-IEP-Bi-Mode-Class-800-0-DPTS-DPTF-Test-Train/332591054739?_trkparms=pageci%3A36dad1b1-2b78-11e8-b5f5-74dbd1807a7a%7Cparentrq%3A3e6a94d11620a9c140c9e359fffa3e34%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607#shpCntId

Cheers

Edited by GEOEng03

Bit of a deviation from the superb model, but there was an interesting article in this months Rail Express that shows the electric 800 (54s to 60mph) are still slower than a 220 (53s to 60mph) and the sister 395 (38s to 60mph) class. This despite the month before showing the 800 on diesel to be quite lacking at 100s to 560mph. The latter being slower than a 2+8 HST.  I do wonder how the upspec'd 802xxx will fair. Haven't been on one yet (still lucky to have West Country HST's serving all my trips in and out of London.

Never paid much attention to this section of the magazine, but will go back through back issues to see how other units faired!   

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a deviation from the superb model, but there was an interesting article in this months Rail Express that shows the electric 800 (54s to 60mph) are still slower than a 220 (53s to 60mph) and the sister 395 (38s to 60mph) class. This despite the month before showing the 800 on diesel to be quite lacking at 100s to 560mph. The latter being slower than a 2+8 HST. I do wonder how the upspec'd 802xxx will fair. Haven't been on one yet (still lucky to have West Country HST's serving all my trips in and out of London.

Never paid much attention to this section of the magazine, but will go back through back issues to see how other units faired!

Cheers

100 seconds to 560mph sounds mighty fast to me :)

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

Bit of a deviation from the superb model, but there was an interesting article in this months Rail Express that shows the electric 800 (54s to 60mph) are still slower than a 220 (53s to 60mph) and the sister 395 (38s to 60mph) class. This despite the month before showing the 800 on diesel to be quite lacking at 100s to 560mph. The latter being slower than a 2+8 HST.  I do wonder how the upspec'd 802xxx will fair. Haven't been on one yet (still lucky to have West Country HST's serving all my trips in and out of London.

Cheers

This has been discussed on multiple occasions in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94506-class-800-updates/

Let's keep this thread for the model.

Simon

Just to throw my spanner in....

The IEP (IET) 5 car sets use 3, 12Cyl 'Power Packs' supplied by MTU that were specifically developed for this train. The 9 car sets use 5 Power Packs and therefore it seems that there must be an intermediate trailer of some description as mentioned previously.

Yes, but they have inner bearing bogies (like a 220), so need a different bogie moulding to model the non-motored coaches

Simon

With regards centre coaches, depends what happens with the Virgin East Coast franchise, if they come out in DFT livery, Virgin or not?

I'm not sure what that has to do with the Test Train pack, as the centre coaches for that would be in plain grey/white (with the appropriate graphics).

Note that Hornby haven't yet revealed or produced an example of the Class 800 in any sort of VTEC livery.

• RMweb Premium

This has been discussed on multiple occasions in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94506-class-800-updates/

Let's keep this thread for the model.

Simon

I agree this is the wrong thread for it, but my recollection from the other thread is of discussion of poor performance on diesel only - I don't recall any mention of it being somewhat lack-lustre on electric power - quite the reverse in fact.

• Like 1

OK, so moving swiftly back to the model itself. Has anyone had a repaired unit back from Hornby and did they explain what they had done to fix the problem - I may have missed this, so apologise if I have... 

I had spoke with Rails and they had been informed for customers to call direct to Hornby.  I duly tried and had to wait and decided to drop a email for follow up. Will see how they respond to that.

I can see many of the coach pack being purchased for respray later this year as well... Unless they decide to release white coaches. 

Cheers

OK, so moving swiftly back to the model itself. Has anyone had a repaired unit back from Hornby and did they explain what they had done to fix the problem - I may have missed this, so apologise if I have... 

I had spoke with Rails and they had been informed for customers to call direct to Hornby.  I duly tried and had to wait and decided to drop a email for follow up. Will see how they respond to that.

I can see many of the coach pack being purchased for respray later this year as well... Unless they decide to release white coaches. 

Cheers

I telephoned Hornby last week and was told to phone back this week for an update on the fix.

I have had a response from them, within the quoted timescales.  They have given me an address to return the item to so that they can check. I have e-mailed back and asked who is covering the postage on a RRP £395 price loco, given its weight and the known issues to them.  I would hope that they will refund or provide postage labels for this.

Cheers

I agree this is the wrong thread for it, but my recollection from the other thread is of discussion of poor performance on diesel only - I don't recall any mention of it being somewhat lack-lustre on electric power - quite the reverse in fact.

They go like excrement off a digging implement on electric, that has never been in doubt.