Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

On a more general note I would also comment that it appears to me that proportionately significantly fewer onliners talk in detail about performance compared with appearance unless possibly it is slow speed running. (e.g. 1361 splashergate vs its performance) It would be nice to hear more contributors talk about roadholding thro curves/points(advise type)/haulage capacity/whether the motor gets hot in constant use/how noisy it is (no point fitting sound if it already imitates a concrete mixer or whines like a Typhoon at take-off) /how many volts to get the thing started/etc

Good points to illustrate the positives of the Horny IEP.  My model will negotiate (all code 75) both at speed and dead slow through Peco short, medium and long radius points without any problems whilst passing through minimum radius of 22" of curves.  I have run the model in excess of 4 hours on my layout that includes a 9 road fiddle yard through the full speed spectrum of my Digitrax system.  The model runs through all speeds very quietly so quiet I cannot hear the motor as opposed  to a Bachmann Voyager, 37,or 47.  The motor does not heat up excessively nor does the fitted decoder (Lenz Gold).  The finish is first class and I'm really impressed with the level of decoration.  I will be fitting sound once I have sorted the sounds and will be using the compartment Hornby have allocated for the speaker.

• Like 2

I know there's been a lot of criticism of Hornby over this, but I've found them very helpful when I got in contact and I've just sent my 2 800s off to Hornby to have the mods done.

It's a fantastic new model that has had a teething problem (look at the actual thing) to which Hornby have admitted they didn't pick up on their test layout and are offering purchasers the opportunity to send the models off to have the mods carried out (postage paid).

I for one are not complaining.  Well done Hornby for admitting to the issue and offering to put it right free of charge!

• Like 1

Mine was returned today and while I haven't tested it, I can see that the clearance between bogie and body is much better now.  I will take a picture later, but there appears to be a bigger shaft where the bogie connects to the body which is aiding in providing the clearance.  It has taken them a little over two weeks with a Easter break in between, so well done to them for sorting the issue.  Will be a few days before it can be tested formally, but the note did say that they had tested as well!

I may have expressed disappointment at the issue, and I am happy to say so, but credit where credit is due, I can't fault them for dealing with it, regardless of if it was done on a case by case rather than mass recall basis.

Cheers

I’ve had both my IETs back from Hornby. The one that had all intermediate carriages derailing stays on fine now. The one that had one derailing carriage stays on fine but the problem with the trailing driving vehicle lights going out when cornering in an anti-clockwise direction which they said they’d fixed by replacing the chip didn’t work at all. On investigation they had put a new Hornby chip in the powered driving vehicle and put the Bachmann one I’d fitted to the powered driving vehicle into the un-powered driving vehicle the wrong way around, and it had ‘cooked’ it! (swapped chips to prove it), new chip should sort it.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone recommend a non-sound decoder for the class 800, please?

I have tried:

• the DCC Concepts ZN8D which is too thick
  • the DCC Concepts ZN8H, but the harness is not long enough and the wires coming from the plug make it too thick
  • the Lenz Silver direct, which is also too thick
Ideally I'd something which has a thin harness long enough but not too long, so that everything fits under the coach.

Both of those decoders are budget ones and some people prefer to use better quality ones with more tune ability or better running characteristics.

If you are referring to the Zimo MX600R as a 'budget decoder' without tune-ability, I think you'll find you're very wrong!

It's a top class decoder, runs perfectly with most locos straight out of the box and is unbelievably tune-able if you want to play around with a myriad of CVs (and the documentation is reasonable if you read through it a few times)

In my opinion they beat the pants of Lenz decoders, both Standard and Silver (and I have both Zimo and Lenz decoders so I am talking from experience, not theory)

Edited by NickC

• RMweb Gold

If you are referring to the Zimo MX600R as a 'budget decoder' without tune-ability, I think you'll find you're very wrong!

It's a top class decoder, runs perfectly with most locos straight out of the box and is unbelievably tune-able if you want to play around with a myriad of CVs (and the documentation is reasonable if you read through it a few times)

In my opinion they beat the pants of Lenz decoders, both Standard and Silver (and I have both Zimo and Lenz decoders so I am talking from experience, not theory)

The Zimo MX600R is a standard no frills decoder, and I threw the one I had away. Although it's better than a Hornby chip, it's on par with a Gaugemaster Opti....which is still basic and definitely not infinitely tuneable. It is however great value for money considering the stuff it can do over other entry level decoders.

Edited by scoobyra

The Zimo MX600R is a standard no frills decoder, and I threw the one I had away. Although it's better than a Hornby chip, it's on par with a Gaugemaster Opti....which is still basic and definitely not infinitely tuneable. It is however great value for money considering the stuff it can do over other entry level decoders.

If you think that then I’m curious to know which decoders you use or would recommend?

Either you had one with very old firmware (and unlike most other decoder, Zimo firmware can be updated) or you didn’t read the documentation. Pretty much everything about the decoder is tuneable if you so desire. You just need to read and digest the documentation. It supports ABC far better than Lenz, is tuneable for coreless motors and in the latest firmware supports a new brake function.

• RMweb Gold

If you think that then I’m curious to know which decoders you use or would recommend?

Either you had one with very old firmware (and unlike most other decoder, Zimo firmware can be updated) or you didn’t read the documentation. Pretty much everything about the decoder is tuneable if you so desire. You just need to read and digest the documentation. It supports ABC far better than Lenz, is tuneable for coreless motors and in the latest firmware supports a new brake function.

It's still a budget decoder - they even market it as that. All my decoders are either Loksound V4s or Zimo 645s

I have tried:

• the DCC Concepts ZN8H, but the harness is not long enough and the wires coming from the plug make it too thick
Ideally I'd something which has a thin harness long enough but not too long, so that everything fits under the coach.

A LokPilot V4 8-pin fits if you're not using a speaker, since it uses a harness wire from the socket that's long enough to put the decoder where the speaker would ordinarily go.

I have tried:

I've used a Hattons DCR 8 with harness. Runs perfectly.

Just unboxed mine which was repaired by Hornby and checked all the coaches and the bogies rotate freely without contacting the body sides although have absolutely no movement or play front to back. Presume this was the case originally. Will run it tomorrow. But Hornby have stated it's been track tested and all ok. We shall see.

Edited by martin_l_jones

I’ve had both my IETs back from Hornby. The one that had all intermediate carriages derailing stays on fine now. The one that had one derailing carriage stays on fine but the problem with the trailing driving vehicle lights going out when cornering in an anti-clockwise direction which they said they’d fixed by replacing the chip didn’t work at all. On investigation they had put a new Hornby chip in the powered driving vehicle and put the Bachmann one I’d fitted to the powered driving vehicle into the un-powered driving vehicle the wrong way around, and it had ‘cooked’ it! (swapped chips to prove it), new chip should sort it.

So a new chip didn’t sort it! As these photos show one of the contacts is completely ‘bent’ away from the wheel set so no chance of it picking up any current. How Hornby didn’t spot this when they had it back I do not know (and their paperwork said they’d tested it) - it’ll be going back to be fixed.

post-31677-0-83899500-1523135511_thumb.jpeg

post-31677-0-44301900-1523135529_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Hornby returned mine last week and i got chance to have a play this week. runs perfectly now and i'm over the moon.

Hornby turned my unit around from door to door in 2 weeks, at no cost to me. i think Hornby have done a good job.

Well, I've had mine back too, and the bogie issue is all sorted - C-shaped spacers have been added to the bogie shaft.  However, with no vertical movement between the couplings, and with the small gradient changes on my track, I still have derailment issues.  I could run the power car and various combinations of 1, 2 and 3 carriages/dummy car without problems, but never managed a complete circuit of the track with 4 or 5 carriages.  And never with the power car at the rear pushing forward in any combination.  It was also pretty horrible crossing points.  I tried loosening the couplings with a small turn of the retaining screw, but that didn't sort it either.

Sadly, I've decided to return to Hornby for a refund.

Edited by jonesey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, I've decided to return to Hornby for a refund.

That's put me in a quandary. I don't have a layout to test mine on so it has been in its box since purchase and will be for a year or two until we move house and I get my own railway room.

I've contemplated returning to Hornby for the bogie mod spacers, as that seemed to be the common issue. However, if it's still going to have problems with gradients and my proposed helix, then what to do?. I can hardly return it in 2 years time even though it would still be technically 'brand new never out the box'.

At £300 it could turn into a very expensive display item.

Edited by Scottish-Exile

So a new chip didn’t sort it! As these photos show one of the contacts is completely ‘bent’ away from the wheel set so no chance of it picking up any current. How Hornby didn’t spot this when they had it back I do not know (and their paperwork said they’d tested it) - it’ll be going back to be fixed.

First class response and action plan from Hornby this morning to get my IET problem resolved, including personal ownership of the problem by Simon Kohler and Mark Lodge. It’s on its way back :)

• Like 1

That's put me in a quandary. I don't have a layout to test mine on so it has been in its box since purchase and will be for a year or two until we move house and I get my own railway room.

I've contemplated returning to Hornby for the bogie mod spacers, as that seemed to be the common issue. However, if it's still going to have problems with gradients and my proposed helix, then what to do?. I can hardly return it in 2 years time even though it would still be technically 'brand new never out the box'.

At £300 it could turn into a very expensive display item.

Send it back and get it fixed to ensure it doesn't happen in the future. My retailer is sorting mine out and I am in the same predicament.

I contacted them regarding this fix, they declined to send me the spares to repair it myself (which I was happy to do) but alas my one is re packed ready to be returned for repairs. I’ve not even ran it in, didn’t see the point in the disappointment of de railing. Let’s hope my journey is a smooth as you’re all reporting