Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

Hornby collected my IETs last Tuesday and I was told that they should take about a week to fix them, so hopefully I’ll get an ‘update’ email from them tomorrow.

Any update on this?  They're collecting mine tomorrow.  It has gone very quiet on the repair front. I wonder whether it will have to be a Dapol style Class 68 fix with the next batch later this year. Not a great solution at all. It may be an option, but would anyone want bits of the loco chopped off ?!

Edited - changed to question rather than assumption.

Edited by GEOEng03

Any update on this?  They're collecting mine tomorrow.  It has gone very quiet on the repair front. I wonder whether it will have to be a Dapol style Class 68 fix with the next batch later this year. Not a great solution at all. And no one wants bits of the loco chopped off do they!

No one has suggested 'chopping bits off'. Don't let's blow this out of proportion. (CJL)

No one has suggested 'chopping bits off'. Don't let's blow this out of proportion. (CJL)

To be fair, I agree fully and wasn't trying to blow it out of proportion (it may have been worded and read like that though - the joys of text only...).  But with production runs the way they are, then that could be an option perhaps?!

In short, this is a massive QC issue, and that is surprising from Hornby seeing as they're trying hard to get their house in order.

The derailment issue - if it occurs - will only be discovered when the model is run as a complete unit. I would be surprised if (m)any of these are QC tested running as a complete unit. I would expect QC to be related mainly to visual inspection of individual vehicles and possibly to a 1-in-?quantity running test of the powered cars. I can't imagine that every unit is put on track, coupled, test-run, uncoupled and packed (with the same trailer cars that it was tested with). Maybe? but I doubt it. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Since my last message I've taken the body off my troublesome centre coach 812004 and made sure everything is sitting correctly, I've loosened the coupling screws and I've test run it on perfectly flat track, I'm still experiencing a derailing issue with the bogie that has the lighting pick-ups. It's not every time but it is happening regularly.  Subject the coach to any sort of gradient and both bogies derail every time.  The coaches with the factory applied filing of damper anchor point don't seem to have an issue with a slight gradient, they don't appear to have any other factory applied modifications but do have a very slight amount of lubrication on the bogie clip and pivot..

Lift coach 812004 off the track and move the bogies by hand and they more often than not catch and force the body out.  This was apparent straight from the box as it was the first thing I checked after reading about the problems with the model.

I'm reluctant to perform any modifications to coach 812004, such as filing the damper anchor point, until I hear what Hornby are doing to the models that have been sent back, I may send back my model, I haven't decided yet.

In short, this is a massive QC issue, and that is surprising from Hornby seeing as they're trying hard to get their house in order.

I have had quite a few QC issues with China made stock from all the manufacturers, maybe its becoming a case of you get what you pay for.

Hornby wont have tested any/many of them, that would have been done at the tooling stage, after that it is production, packing and delivery, all Hornby would have done is unpack them from the container and sent them out to the stockists.

Edited by royaloak

Putting aside my comments about quality, I have today received the test train pack and wow.  I though the GWR version was well applied, but this is just excellent for the livery. There are a few small blemishes, but I am mightily impressed with this set.  Some pictures of the presentation box and livery. I have two of these, one I picked up at a good price and then a second that my wife brought me. Happy to sell for what I paid for it, with receipt if interested. Much cheaper than the current RRP+ price.

40061355365_670e9d2535_z.jpg20180322_135702 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

39145765910_7d8f8c59c9_z.jpg20180322_135957 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

40954995921_08a3633f40_z.jpg20180322_135727 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Regarding the GWR set, I had to ask Hornby for them to pick the set up, which I found a bit disappointing, but they have been quite proactive in talking to me after the initial 4day wait to my email (which was within the 5 day timeframe they stated) and yes I chose this method and I am not complaining! I suspect that are a small team that may have been overwhelmed by contact recently (again an assumption) and I am sure all will be good in the end. 

Edited by GEOEng03
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It would be enlightening to know what “fixes” Hornby are making to the sets that have been returned. I suspect this will not be forthcoming from Hornby, as they have yet to make a public statement on this issue, possibly to avoid legal issues. Their silence and secrecy is somewhat disappointing, but not surprising - company leaders are loath to stick their heads up when things go wrong, just ask Mark Zuckerberg. Integrity and professionalism are now as rare in big business as they are in public life.

Perhaps when someone gets their “fixed” set back they can show what Hornby has been doing?

Darius

I too would be interested in seeing a result of the so called "fix". I need to get in touch with my retailer and see if Hornby actually has been cooperative. 

Thanks to those who do post with information, it is very helpful. 

Any update on this?  They're collecting mine tomorrow.  It has gone very quiet on the repair front. I wonder whether it will have to be a Dapol style Class 68 fix with the next batch later this year. Not a great solution at all. It may be an option, but would anyone want bits of the loco chopped off ?!

Edited - changed to question rather than assumption.

I have had a reply from Hornby saying that they’re waiting for parts to sort out my IETs.

• RMweb Premium

It’s still disappointing they haven’t made an announcement. I wonder how many people out there don’t know they have a problem yet or are just putting up with it. Hornby give the impression that they are trying to get away with the least effort possible ie only repairing ones that they really need to because you’ve contacted them directly. I know it’s unfortunate for them and it maybe random assembly issues , but it’s really not good enough. Customer care........I don’t think so!

what would be the correct centre coaches? Just unliveried at moment ie white? Looks a lovely model but can't help think looks a little silly just as a 2 car. As others have pointed out it actually wouldn't be possible to move in the real thing

These were the centre cars being used on one of the test trains.

post-9992-0-39726700-1521851284_thumb.jpg

You need the technical team of course

post-9992-0-49388800-1521851292_thumb.jpg

I bet Hornby have not illuminated the pantograph!

post-9992-0-40507500-1521851617_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 4

Hi, sorry about not being clear. Speaking to the Hornby rep at Model Rail Scotland, the next GWR livery 800 was to be a VTEC but was changed with the uncertainty of the franchise. With this there is a chance if the real 800s could come out unbranded, in this case Hornby could release an unbranded 800 which would do with the test train.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the Test Train pack, as the centre coaches for that would be in plain grey/white (with the appropriate graphics).

Note that Hornby haven't yet revealed or produced an example of the Class 800 in any sort of VTEC livery.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. I wonder what the parts are and if they need a manufacturing run or are available at the factory.

The parts are new C Clips that keep the bogies on. All new sets will have the mod already done.....not sure if we have to do the mod on existing sets or send them back....it's not a difficult thing to do. Hornby aren't aware of the decoder fitment issue as they've designed it to take one of their decoders and speakers....which is ok if you want a crap sounding IEP!

The parts are new C Clips that keep the bogies on. All new sets will have the mod already done.....not sure if we have to do the mod on existing sets or send them back....it's not a difficult thing to do. Hornby aren't aware of the decoder fitment issue as they've designed it to take one of their decoders and speakers....which is ok if you want a crap sounding IEP!

It doesn't even take their own TTS decoder or speaker - their line to me was that it's not designed for DCC Sound :shrug:

• Like 1

For those wondering the Hornby fix is a washer, to increase the ride height of the coach. Currently being manufactured, 

I would not read to much into the recent deliveries of a 800/1 and two 800/2s from Japan. These are 'Pre-Series' units and delivered under the TTS document, and would of always been in DfT Grey as they are a Hitachi unit - some of the last units to be delivered after extensive testing for Agility Trains East. The current 800/1 (101) and the 801s (801101, 102 & 201) are also 'Pre-Series'.

Though between friends, it is now a DfT intention to not have a brand on the ongoing franchise. But then, it is Stagecoach's intention to continue the Virgin brand. We shall see the outcome shortly, yet the first production bodies are about to start manufacturing in Japan (after the final 800/3s). 

• RMweb Gold

For those wondering the Hornby fix is a washer, to increase the ride height of the coach. Currently being manufactured, 

I would not read to much into the recent deliveries of a 800/1 and two 800/2s from Japan. These are 'Pre-Series' units and delivered under the TTS document, and would of always been in DfT Grey as they are a Hitachi unit - some of the last units to be delivered after extensive testing for Agility Trains East. The current 800/1 (101) and the 801s (801101, 102 & 201) are also 'Pre-Series'.

Though between friends, it is now a DfT intention to not have a brand on the ongoing franchise. But then, it is Stagecoach's intention to continue the Virgin brand. We shall see the outcome shortly, yet the first production bodies are about to start manufacturing in Japan (after the final 800/3s). 

This sounds like a bit of a bodge for a £400 model!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This sounds like a bit of a bodge for a £400 model!

Better than refusing to admit there's a problem I would have thought.

And if the washers really are in production already, that's quite impressive.