Tinner's Forge

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Me too !

Have spent the rest of the evening drawing up the scenic elements, where the road and gates will be, how wide the bridge needs to be, etc.

Basic ground contours will be built up using polystyrene sheets, carved then covered in tissue paper & tester pot paints, then static grass. I'm thinking setting the season as late autumn, so lots of brown leaves both on the trees and the ground. Walls will be Cornish hedges , using either Das stabbed with old paintbrush ferrules or built from fish-tank gravel.

I think a front frame opening height of about 12 inches should be enough.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As recommended by Graham Muz (usual disclaimers !!) 4 Dignham electro uncouplers arrived in today's post.

Now, a question.  As the top of the electro-bolt is fairly small, it means accurate positioning of the wagon is required to ensure the hook is activated by the magnetic force.

Has anyone tried using a length of steel bar (e.g. a piece of Hornby rail) attached to the electro-bolt, to increase the length of the available magnetic field ?

• RMweb Premium

As recommended by Graham Muz (usual disclaimers !!) 4 Dignham electro uncouplers arrived in today's post.

Now, a question.  As the top of the electro-bolt is fairly small, it means accurate positioning of the wagon is required to ensure the hook is activated by the magnetic force.

Has anyone tried using a length of steel bar (e.g. a piece of Hornby rail) attached to the electro-bolt, to increase the length of the available magnetic field ?

Stu, I've never used Dinghams but as I understand it they work in a similar way to DG, B&B and later Sprat & Winkles. You don't need to stop over the magnet. You just push the vehicles over the magnet while it is energised to uncouple them.

Apologies if I've got this wrong.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

No, I'm not using Dingham couplings, just the electro magnets. I'll be using the Brian Kirby inspired 'staples on a Bachmann coupling hook' method, as before, but hopefully with improved reliability over the permanent magnets.

No, I'm not using Dingham couplings, just the electro magnets. I'll be using the Brian Kirby inspired 'staples on a Bachmann coupling hook' method, as before, but hopefully with improved reliability over the permanent magnets.

On my last layout I used the staple on tension lock coupler with success, however I had to use two magnets to uncouple, one for each staple, are you taking one hook off the wagon? that would work but the wagons will need to be set up spot on too each other as any inconsistencies in track levels may cause them to uncouple when you don,t want them to.

Cheers, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

On previous layouts I've only used a single hook per wagon and generally this has not been a problem. You are correct that uneven track will cause uncoupling, as did the permanent magnets, hence the move to electro ones.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I see - I misread your post. Sorry I can't help after all.

• RMweb Gold

That's fine, thanks anyway. The instructions with the electro magnets explain how to use them with Dinghan couplings, but as the magnets can be used with AJs or Spratt & Winkles as well, I could experiment with the different sorts fairly cheaply.

• RMweb Premium

That's fine, thanks anyway. The instructions with the electro magnets explain how to use them with Dinghan couplings, but as the magnets can be used with AJs or Spratt & Winkles as well, I could experiment with the different sorts fairly cheaply.

As you know Stu, I use DGs. Give them a try as well.

• RMweb Gold

Baseboard now wired for track, frogs and point motors.

1st Seep point motor fitted and flying leads connected.

Testing of point motor - passed.

Testing of frog polarity switch on point motor - failed. Reason - not a point motor with built in switch.....

Bu$$er.

• RMweb Premium

Testing of frog polarity switch on point motor - failed. Reason - not a point motor with built in switch.....

Bu$$er.

sorry but  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

very much the sort of thing I do 

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Control Panel front piece drawn up:

post-7025-0-73528200-1483907413.gif

Provision has been made for isolation switches for each siding, plus the uncoupler and point push switches.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Bu$$er.

The worst part was the two point motors I had in storage were already wired with the point motor control wires, I just added the frog switch wires (thinking that if the points were non-switch they wouldn't have the 3 extra connection points...).

Still, the mount holes are in the right place, so a swap should be fairly simple.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm.

Added the short flying leads to the 2 new point motors, all colour coded to match the layout.

Fitted the new motor in the old mounting holes and turned the layout over. Plugged in the track power via wires direct to the track.

Using the trusty 08,  there was power to the headshunt but nothing to any of the sidings. Cue head scratching.  Reason was I'd not connected to the baseboard track wiring...

Sorted that and found power to all sidings. Cut off the unneeded length of point motor tiebar moving rod, and used 16v ac to change to point to find a track short.

Isolated the point motor from the track - still a short on the auxiliary switch. Took the motor off completely - no short.  Gave up for the evening.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

More numpty moments...

Spent this lunchtime drawing up the wiring diagram for the control panel. First attempt abandoned because the track plan wasn't upside down. Second attempt abandoned because the incoming power position made the wiring pattern too messy. Third attempt abandoned because I'd connected the uncoupler motor supply to the 16v ac not the 12v dc...

Must try harder !

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Point motor refitted, short sorted out.

More test running with the 08.

Control panel box started, but the front piece 6mm ply is too thick, so am changing that to a sheet of aluminum.

Scart lead sourced from loft - a bit confused as to why the two plugs are not a 1:1 match for connections.

• RMweb Premium

Point motor refitted, short sorted out.

More test running with the 08.

Control panel box started, but the front piece 6mm ply is too thick, so am changing that to a sheet of aluminum.

Scart lead sourced from loft - a bit confused as to why the two plugs are not a 1:1 match for connections.

good man but we want pictures and video

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So, SCART lesds are designed to have swapped pins. This will make the wiring of the layout socket a bit more of a challenge, but a decent wiring diagram will help ( see earlier post for how well that went).

• RMweb Gold

I've actually wired for DCC... As each siding is open ended, I didn't need to use isolating fishplates and could have fed the whole rail via the frog. But keeping all the rails live will allow a DCC sound loco to sit in a siding whilst another shunts.

Not that I have any DCC stuff, let alone sound, but never say never...

• Like 1