Bachmann Europe - a 2016/7 overview

Andy Y

In presenting the new range announcements for 2017 Bachmann Europe's managing director, David Haarhaus, gave an overview of Bachmann's past year and what this means moving into 2017.

David paid tribute to the hard work of everyone in the team within the business for making 2016 a successful year with a year-on-year growth in sales as Bachmann built on their core strengths:

• Innovation with included passengers, improved factory weathering, DCC sound in N gauge and the Rail Controller system;
  • Quality with such products as the USA tank with its unprecedented number of tooling variations and the challenging Wickham Trolley,
  • Commitment to supporting their retailer base increasing the number of trade accounts supplied with marketing to support the brand, no competing direct sales or subsidisation of margins.

It was acknowledged that it has been a challenging year with increased amounts of competition in the marketplace and the Brexit effects on currency exchange. Bachmann held the pricing through 2016  and any pricing which comes into effect from 1st February has attempted to mitigate the impact of such. In the Bachmann Branchline range only 26% of items see a price increase, increasing by an average of 6%; in the Farish range the amount of lines with an increase is a little larger at 36% of the range although the average increase is less at 4%.

Collectors' Club membership has remained strong and the acquisition of Pocketbond and EFE has resulted in further growth and accounts and more opportunities for retail shelves to stock Bachmann products, conversely Pocketbond products appear on more shelves such as dinosaurs on the West Somerset Railway as an example.

It was acknowledged that there is still catching up to do on previous announcements; 12 new tooling projects reached the shelves during 2016 and this is still improving with the increased design resource in China. Long-standing projects such as the Class 158 were discussed and it is anticipated there will be visible designs of development on the more challenging projects during the coming 12 months. 20 new tooling items are planned for 2017 and these are addressed in the relevant topics here.

In taking a look at projects in the cabinets it was interesting to see the Class 450 and the approach to the weathered model with colouration on the roof more faded due to cleaning and UV exposure more evident than on the coach sides; subtle and convincing. The Woodland Scenic range features some interesting new developments for those wishing to create water features on their model with a new range of coloured basecoats, tints and finishing products. The plastic kit range features some astonishing models, particularly in the naval ranges with prices up to the £299 mark but extremely impressive and aimed at a different market than the typical model railway buyer it seems.

There was certainly plenty of optimism, positivity and enthusiasm for the coming years indicating that the hobby and Bachmann are in good health.

Good to hear.

I don't mind the weathered models ( although I removed most of it on 37242) but I wish they would release at least some in the same liveries without, same goes for sound equipped.

I'd think a lot of interest would be in the Dutch 47, but I'd rather add sound at a later date if I want than pay for it now.

That's my only gripe, o think they are doing really well. And I think the collectors club membership is a bargain TBH.

• RMweb Premium

Very informative, but please my I ask what their naval range is?

O/T, though: My thoughts precisely. Thanks to Andy for promulgating the Bachmann railway view, but the inclusion of the 'naval range' is interesting when taking in the Trumpeter model ship range. This range at present has very little of the Royal Navy of any era at present. I wonder if Bachmann would care to try to influence production via PocketBond. The example of the very expensive plastic kit is a large scale (1/72) warship, the other scales are usually 1/700, 1/350 (my interest) and 1/144. The 1/700 and 1/350 scales are not that expensive, unless aftermarket (P.E.) is included.

Ironically, Trumpeter is the only firm producing RN ship models in any number, as it would appear that Airfix has abandoned the products.

It was acknowledged that there is still catching up to do on previous announcements;

Andy has Bachmann Europe explained why/how they are in a situation where announcement - delivery lead times are now often four years or more and how they are addressing this?

I don't believe this is deliberate on their part, but it is what customers observe.

Your observation "12 new tooling projects reached the shelves during 2016 and this is still improving with the increased design resource in Chinahints that a big part of the problem might be the drawing and perhaps tooling teams in China though I don't want to misconstrue that. 

A shame it was wrong? Or a shame it was criticised? (CJL)

Shame people take the “best guess” of a magazine writer so literally. Have not seen the magazine article, but I am sure it would not be Railway Modeller.

I am sure the wise mag contributor can provide proof from GWR themselves as to the authenticity of their claim…… I think not, so it really is just some bloke’s opinion on paper isn’t it.

Well here is some other bloke’s opinion. I have not seen any other disappointment on the part of contributors to this forum, despite it being on display on the Bachmann Warley stand. It looked all right to me when I looked at it, so I shall be investing in the hobby and jolly well buy one….. despite the best efforts of the railway press to persuade me otherwise…… … perhaps said title had a forthcoming article on how to respray one…….sorry that was too cynical.

Happy to withdraw all comments when I see the posting from Mark Hopwood confirming the subjective view of a magazine correspondent.

Shame people take the “best guess” of a magazine writer so literally. Have not seen the magazine article, but I am sure it would not be Railway Modeller.

I am sure the wise mag contributor can provide proof from GWR themselves as to the authenticity of their claim…… I think not, so it really is just some bloke’s opinion on paper isn’t it.

Well here is some other bloke’s opinion. I have not seen any other disappointment on the part of contributors to this forum, despite it being on display on the Bachmann Warley stand. It looked all right to me when I looked at it, so I shall be investing in the hobby and jolly well buy one….. despite the best efforts of the railway press to persuade me otherwise…… … perhaps said title had a forthcoming article on how to respray one…….sorry that was too cynical.

Happy to withdraw all comments when I see the posting from Mark Hopwood confirming the subjective view of a magazine correspondent.

As you say the magazine reviews are someone's opinion, but I'm sure they are not going to make a statement like this without being reasonably correct.

However, we can all judge for ourselves as and when it hits the shelves...

Andy has Bachmann Europe explained why/how they are in a situation where announcement - delivery lead times are now often four years or more and how they are addressing this?

I don't believe this is deliberate on their part, but it is what customers observe.

Your observation "12 new tooling projects reached the shelves during 2016 and this is still improving with the increased design resource in Chinahints that a big part of the problem might be the drawing and perhaps tooling teams in China though I don't want to misconstrue that. 

I think the best way to answer this is to look at the slide which we were shown which shows the number of announcements each year and the number still outstanding from each year.

Bachmann_Project_Status.jpg

Immediately it's easy to see where any backlog was caused in numerical terms with a large number of announcements in 2013 (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69149-Bachmann-announcements-20134/).That set of announcements included the Mk2F, Birdcage and Thompson coach ranges which are demanding from a research, design and tooling variation perspective . The Mk2F coaches are also a significant impact on the Farish total for the same year. The Thompsons are imminent. Those announcements also included the inspection saloon and the Hawksworth auto-trailer so it's easy to see why they took a faster path to the shelf. The Stanier Mogul is also nearly here (a superb model) but the Class 24/1 does seem quiet.

Although there were a number of announcements in 2012 all bar one have reached the market so those figures were not included. The outstanding item is the Class 158; considerations during development meant further work to aim to produce a chassis which is more useful for further developments.

2013 was a very ambitious programme and has meant that Bachmann has had to work hard to make inroads into that backlog whilst maintaining interest with more normal quantities of announcements in subsequent years. I know much of the research work was ready and complete on several projects for some time before there was a resource available to feed the products into the CAD design stage at the factory. Investment in a larger resource there over the last year is seeing more projects going into the factory workflow. It will still take a time to fully catch up but I see the will and the work is there.

I also know that projects were started which accounts for many hours but had not reached the point of announcement and were subsequently announced by competitors. Bachmann are evidently keen to try and avoid duplication battles, I don't think there are ultimately any winners where there is duplication on anything other than bread and butter lines. That's several projects which accounts for some time over the last few years.

I don't think you've misconstrued anything I've said and you've accurately assessed where the pinch-point has been. It's evident that all of the larger companies and some of the smaller ones have swinging fortunes in productivity, there will be a real issue behind such situations rather than any perceived laxity or disinterest which some inflame the situation with creating self-absorbed and selfish demands for wanting everything now (and at minimal cost).

• RMweb Premium

On magazine reviews, they should provide an honest opinion, be it good or bad. Provided a review remains objective and refrains from weilding a hatchet then I see no problem with a critical review. Surely it would be an announcement rather than a review if it was otherwise.

• RMweb Premium

I would also suggest that Kader had a change of strategy in 2014 which affected the 2013 range and everything subsequent to that. We know that 2014 was the start of the very large price increases which continued in 2015 and 2016. It was mentioned at the time it was a three year program. So we know there was a change of strategy on pricing then. I would suggest it affected new development too. Not a conspiracy theory before someone accuses me of that, but it's clear items have taken a very long time to come to market since that time. The Stanier 2-6-0 is the obvious example.

I do wonder if some of the price increase has been the reason why Kader seem to have been happy to allocate extra design resource to their British range?  I suppose if you were Kader then allocating scarce design resource to other ranges which charge more per unit item than has been the case traditionally in the British range would make sense.  Perhaps now the amount of profit per British item sold has hopefully increased they are happier to allocate more resources to the range.  Or perhaps I'm taking a simplistic approach?

Talking about projects that never got there due to competitors, I must be the only one disappointed that Bachmann didn't do the GER J15.

Nothing wrong with the Hornby's work, and indeed we probably still be waiting for a Bachmann J15. However since Bachmann tend to do a group of engines from the same region and had already done the Lancashire and Yorkshire tank which has a 2-4-2T wheel arangement, a Bachmann J15 might have led to a model of the GER F5/F6 tanks happening.

On the other hand, doing two further models probably would have delayed everything else even further....

I don't think you've misconstrued anything I've said and you've accurately assessed where the pinch-point has been.

Thanks for sharing that data Andy.

Combining 11 new projects announced in 2017, with the un-produced totals increasing only by 3, (42 - 39) a nett 8 reduction in backlog suggests that the development trajectory is indeed headed in the right direction.

I don't find it misleading, but the emotional component is that many of the remaining 31, older, un-produced announcements were eagerly anticipated glamour announcements including such items as the SECR Birdcage stock, 94xx, 009 items, H2 Atlantic and the steam crane. 

Archived