Darstaed Mk1 coaches for 7mm.

RandyWales

As a 'coarse' chap, who has quite a few Darstaed coaches, can I offer some thoughts to 'fine' chaps?

When Darstaed get something right, it can be exceedingly good. Witness, for instance, an LMS BG that I have, in the fancy lined livery (Period1?), the tin-printing on which is absolutely beautiful, full depth of colour, fine and accurate lining etc.

However, they've historically had two achilles' heels: wildly optimistic guesses at delivery dates, which, to be fair, seems a common problem among many suppliers; and, serious quality control shortcomings, which isn't really a common problem. I've had the lighting on a rake of coaches go up like a Roman candle because it was incorrectly wired, had a replacement loco when the first one ran like a bag of nails, only for the new one to be worse, and nuts and screws commonly fall off of the coach running gear, causing bits to detach. And I'm not alone in this: another 'coarse' person posted these words on another forum as I was typing this ".......I would not reserve one until I see it unless I can stop payment before purchase."

Hopefully, they have now sorted the QC issues, but personally I would advise close inspection of goods before acceptance. When they are good they are very, very good, ...........

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Hi,

I took a few photos of the new Mk1's on the Ellis Clark stand on Sunday.

They had two in a glass display cabinet so any specks and smudges are more likely to be from the cabinet or my iPhone, rather than the finish..

Enjoy

Dave

post-9509-0-04513700-1504531389_thumb.jpg

post-9509-0-49282800-1504531409_thumb.jpg

post-9509-0-09337200-1504531424_thumb.jpg

post-9509-0-54033900-1504531441_thumb.jpg

post-9509-0-45554000-1504531456_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for posting those photos Dave, particularly the bottom two where some of the detail around the doors and window frames can be seen more clearly. I think with a bit of weathering (not to much though) they can be brought to life a little more.

These do look very impressive.  I worry about the earlier comment about them being shorter by 10mm than Heljan Mk 1 coaches.  I would very much like to know whether the body and bogie lengths are correct.  If they are accurate in the basic dimensions, I'm in for a couple.

I agree with Sarah, the handles do look to be separate.

John

• RMweb Premium

The display samples at Guildex looked to be scale length with separately applied details

The effect overall is much better than moulded plastic sides, not at all like Hornby old style printed tinplate

A train of these will be impressive and you can't argue with the price

Dava

Thanks for posting photos.......

Firstly these do look nice and the curvature/tumblehome looks pretty good or certainly as far as I can see from the photographs.

I'm more of a Blue & Grey expert although this minor observation applies probably not just to Blue & Grey - are the window frames a little bit too rounded/raised?. I think they should be a bit more flat but overall they have certainly seem to have captured the Mk1 well which is what us modellers want.

Finally I see on the ScaleLink web pages (lots of detail now and a good read) it states the Blue & Grey ones will come with Commonwealth bogies - whilst some of the later Mk1's had commonwealth bogies in the Blue/Grey era many/most? still ran with the BR Mk1 bogie so that is a oversight I think. It would be great if both options were available. I might have a chat with them if it is not too late!

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, there is something horribly wrong with the BSK. It's been produced in mirror image, with the corridor and compartments/toilet on the wrong sides!!!

Yes - very well spotted.

I'm no expert but just looking at some BSK photos on Flickr I see what you mean......

STOP PRODUCTION!!!!

That has to be sorted - what a shame - unless the production ones are correct and these were just early samples but worrying non the less.

Yes - very well spotted.

I'm no expert but just looking at some BSK photos on Flickr I see what you mean......

STOP PRODUCTION!!!!

That has to be sorted - what a shame - unless the production ones are correct and these were just early samples but worrying non the less.

According to drawings in Parkins book it is a corridor composite which is fine.

Regards

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Regards

Alan

The top photo with the brake end? Suggestion is the corridor would be on the near side and the toilet window on the far side, when seen with the brake end to the right, which a quick Google images search seems to support. Edited by Hal Nail

The top photo with the brake end? Suggestion is the corridor would be on the near side and the toilet window on the far side, when seen with the brake end to the right, which a quick Google images search seems to support.

Yes you are right, i was looking further down. How come nobody has noticed it!

Regards

Alan

The photo in post No.28 is of what purports to be a Brake Second [bSK] - not a Brake Third!, or a Brake Composite. And even if it were, the sides on a BCK are also NOT mirror images of each other.

The BSK in the photo is of a coach that doesn't and hasn't existed. You are looking at what should be the corridor side and hence no lav. window present. That should be on the other side, but if the sides are indeed a mirror-image, then quite how that would work internally on a BSK I cannot imagine, unless the passengers are sharing a toilet! It is the most obvious of many glaring faults, but I won't list the twenty seven I've so far identified, as I know what happens to those who criticise RTR stuff.

Whilst I fully appreciate that many of the smaller inaccuracies won't matter too much if you just want a rake of coaches to run round the garden, I think it would be safe to assume that everyone reading this thread would 'draw the line' at buying a coach that is just wrong, to the point of being fictitous.

David Parkins

Modern Motive Power

Edited by djparkins
  • Like 3

The photo in post No.28 is of what purports to be a Brake Second [bSK] - not a Brake Third!, or a Brake Composite. And even if it were, the sides on a BCK are also NOT mirror images of each other.

The BSK in the photo is of a coach that doesn't and hasn't existed. You are looking at what should be the corridor side and hence no lav. window present. That should be on the other side, but if the sides are indeed a mirror-image, then quite how that would work internally on a BSK I cannot imagine, unless the passengers are sharing a toilet! It is the most obvious of many glaring faults, but I won't list the twenty seven I've so far identified, as I know what happens to those who criticise RTR stuff.

Whilst I fully appreciate that many of the smaller inaccuracies won't matter too much if you just want a rake of coaches to run round the garden, I think it would be safe to assume that everyone reading this thread would 'draw the line' at buying a coach that is just wrong, to the point of being fictitous.

David Parkins

Modern Motive Power

I wouldn't be so sure of that. It may be a mirror image of what it should be, but looks to be quite a good representation of a BR Mark 1 brake nonetheless. It isn't a model intended to stand scrutiny at 2", and in that price bracket never would be. Nor is everyone, garden railway or not, either clued up or into nth degree detail, so long as it looks the part, and seen in the normal context, it does.

As it is, I have several items of 7mm scale rolling stock that are entirely plausible but never existed, and it is really quite rare that anyone spots them as fictional when they get run on the layout at shows.

Jim

I find these issues with the BSK shocking. I don't understand how any of us could accept it in that state. I don't agree with Jim's last comment. I respect that we all have different priorities and tolerances of inaccuracies, but this is madness I would think for most o gauge modellers. Why would I spend £750 for a set of 4 coaches, 2 of which are plain wrong and, as was said earlier, fictitious? That's enough money for me to care about this. Most of us care about accuracy here.

I hope Darstaed gets informed of this ridiculous issue.

Regards, Thomas Wallner

• Agree 1