Pump house now built, from card and brickpaper, with a concrete paper overlay. Windows are cut down ones from the Scalescenes goods shed windows print on film. Vandalized door from balsa. All based on a picture I found on the net (photo © David Bullock). It will be weathered before being properly 'planted'.

post-24883-0-30849100-1502862736_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-95046000-1502862743_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-25693300-1502862766.jpg

• Like 6

Hi viper-polo, thank you! and thanks for asking. I use a mix of card. The factory was built, as per the instructions (Model Railway Scenery), using laminated cereal box card. Most of the other buildings have been built using offcuts of mounting board in various thickness, which I get free from a picture framer. He has so much that he burns it in his stove and is very happy for some of it to be put to a more creative use!

Edited by Booking Hall
  • Like 1

The roadway and parapet over the tunnel entrance is now finished, apart from weathering. Next up is the low relief backs of buildings to screen the view into the fiddle yard box. I had thought of some run-down tenement type houses, but now I'm thinking of a block of art-deco flats.

post-24883-0-47701800-1503646613_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-06976700-1503646623_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Well, here's a print of a possible three-storey block of 1930's flats. Material-wise, I think a mid-red brick with concrete projecting string courses and black window frames. However, I'm not sure about the scale and size, is it a bit overwhelming? Would some two-storey older style property with pitched roofs be better? Any thoughts please?

post-24883-0-60968000-1503687406_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-05310900-1503687416_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just found this thread and Im completely blown away with the detail you are putting it.  Very atmospheric!

Thanks very much! I thought the 12AD MRG rang a bell - we (Pendle Forest Model Railway Society) were on the layout opposite to you when you showed 'Helenston' at the 2016 Kyle exhibition!

The block of flats - having thought about it overnight, and, more importantly, after consulting my wife! I decided that it will look OK, so construction drawings were made and the flats are now in production! Construction of these low relief buildings (15mm depth) is from 1.3mm mounting card and will use Model Railway Scenery light brown brick paper. I'm going to produce the representative 'Crittall' steel windows by drawing them in AutoCAD and printing them on film, before cutting out and fitting.

post-24883-0-96796900-1503815493_thumb.jpg

Edited by Booking Hall
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Whilst the flats are low-relief, the differing depths of the wall helps to break it up a bit. Looks great so far.

May I make a suggestion? You could carry the 'sky' backboard straight across above the fiddle yard, rather than having it bend 90 degrees to follow the flats. The reason I say this is I find 'sky corners' so distracting when the foreground is so lovingly modelled, it's so strange that so many layouts have 'flat skies' so to speak, which somehow bend around corners. If the background carried on behind the flats, and you modelled part of the roofs, it would maintain the feeling of depth you have.

Edited by Corbs

Whilst the flats are low-relief, the differing depths of the wall helps to break it up a bit. Looks great so far.

May I make a suggestion? You could carry the 'sky' backboard straight across above the fiddle yard, rather than having it bend 90 degrees to follow the flats. The reason I say this is I find 'sky corners' so distracting when the foreground is so lovingly modelled, it's so strange that so many layouts have 'flat skies' so to speak, which somehow bend around corners. If the background carried on behind the flats, and you modelled part of the roofs, it would maintain the feeling of depth you have.

Thanks for the kind comments Corbs, and for your suggestion. Having thought about it I don't think I can make it work unfortunately, as there is no 'back' to the fiddle yard box. This box will be reversed to the others, with its lid at the front of the layout as seen in post #128, to screen operations and lots of 'hand-crane' shunting!. But I'll have another look at it when the flats are in place and the boxes are all joined up.

do you have a real building to base design on. just curious, you know I have a particular interest in brick buildings , especially locally.

Hi Simon, thanks for stopping by. No, I just researched a few suitable looking blocks of flats on the Internet and then drew one which fitted the space, including a few architectural elements which will (hopefully) give the block its 1930's look (angular lines, concrete projecting string courses, steel framed windows etc.).

All wall components for the block of flats have been brickpapered and the windows have been drawn and printed out on acetate film, ready for cutting out and inserting. I don't need as many as I've printed, but it would be wasteful not to print out a whole sheet. Just hope that I need to make some more art-deco buildings at sometime in the future!!

post-24883-0-72276200-1504202944_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-80714500-1504202953_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

just a pity you can't print the windows in white, which was probably most common colour, or even  green.

Yes, it is, but your comment got me thinking, and I found that you can buy a printer that will print with white ink, at a price that makes even 0 gauge RTR locos look cheap! But looking here on RMweb suggested an alternative of laser laminating foil. Looks like it might be worth a try http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16237-printing-white-window-frames/

Yes, it is, but your comment got me thinking, and I found that you can buy a printer that will print with white ink, at a price that makes even 0 gauge RTR locos look cheap! But looking here on RMweb suggested an alternative of laser laminating foil. Looks like it might be worth a try http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16237-printing-white-window-frames/

I used some of that foil for business many years ago, when monochrome lasers cost and arm and a leg, and my whole family didn't have enough body parts for a colour one! I hadn't thought of using it for windows.

I've laser printed green windows on OHP film that came out quite well, and tried some brown ones too that were OK. This is a pretty cruel closeup!

post-7091-0-49783000-1504216975.jpg

• Like 1

I used some of that foil for business many years ago, when monochrome lasers cost and arm and a leg, and my whole family didn't have enough body parts for a colour one! I hadn't thought of using it for windows.

I've laser printed green windows on OHP film that came out quite well, and tried some brown ones too that were OK. This is a pretty cruel closeup!

attachicon.gifDSCF8366.JPG

Wow! I want to see more of your work BG John!

Wow! I want to see more of your work BG John!

Have a look at the links in my signature. There's quite a lot of unfinished stuff there. I'm working on a few layouts, and none have got anywhere near as far as you have! I lost the plot a bit last year, and haven't posted any updates for a long time, but I'm gradually finding it again. Once I've got the electronics stuff I'm playing with working, I'll get back to building actual models.