DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

I have tried sending you a PM and also emails, all to no avail. I have not yet received confirmation of the orders I have placed for the proposed King - the orders were placed some time ago. How can I find out if these are in your system?

Neil

Hi Dave

I have tried sending you a PM and also emails, all to no avail. I have not yet received confirmation of the orders I have placed for the proposed King - the orders were placed some time ago. How can I find out if these are in your system?

Neil

same with me Dave, I have not received any replies to posts or pm's

Regards,

Alex 

• 2 weeks later...

Glancing through the latest Model Rail mag there is a small news update on DJM products.

Regarding the King it says that the CAD is progressing.

Good to  know, but I'm sure a message on here from Dave Jones, to the very people that have expressed an interest in purchasing a model/s would equate to some good P.R.

Glancing through the latest Model Rail mag there is a small news update on DJM products.

Regarding the King it says that the CAD is progressing.

Good to  know, but I'm sure a message on here from Dave Jones, to the very people that have expressed an interest in purchasing a model/s would equate to some good P.R.

Hi,

I’ve just checked and barely 4 posts back there is an update.

Not sure that posting ‘nothing to add’ helps much so soon after the previous posting.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave Jones,

Have I missed an update on the King class progress / payment situation?

Thanks.

Hi,

I’m hoping to have a full update on this by the middle of next week and will post on here, my website and the n gauge forum.

And i’m Still on course to have a sample ep model or 3 on display late summer to early autumn.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I was expecting to give an update the middle of next week, but news has just come in that China have told me the cad/cam will be with us for mid May, and all being well, it can go to tooling within 14 days of that date, as a tooling slot is available for the king.

However, this, with experience, gives us 2 things to think about......

1) it is very rare for a cad/cam to be fault free and not need alterations and

2) please be aware that monies will be requested to start tooling from crowdfunders around that period or Just after.

Recently I’ve concentrated on the front bogie and have worked out a ‘gap filler’ (I call it this because every RTR model king to date has an incorrect gap where you can see daylight under the frames above the bogie.

I have designed a separate screw in piece of plastic for those with higher radius curves where this gap can be totally eliminated. This plastic will need customer fitting as the model will be radius 2 compatible straight from the box.

More in a few weeks.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After looking a couple of times in the past I just discovered the King details at the bottom of the page !! Thought it was all OO and O down there.

Hope it is not too late to tick the box and happy to pay the deposit any time. 

Have ordered 6023 as I had a rather nice double page photo published in popular railway magazine a few years ago and it fits into my preserved mainline theme. Whether it can convert to 2FS I'll have to wait and see, but I've a regular n mainline regardless. 

Might have another later but will have to wait and see.

After looking a couple of times in the past I just discovered the King details at the bottom of the page !! Thought it was all OO and O down there.

Have ordered 6023 as I had a rather nice double page photo published in popular railway magazine a few years ago and it fits into my preserved mainline theme. Whether it can convert to 2FS I'll have to wait and see, but I've a regular n mainline regardless. 

Still open for orders mate.

Any extra or new orders now will help cover all bases.

Cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

I was expecting to give an update the middle of next week, but news has just come in that China have told me the cad/cam will be with us for mid May, and all being well, it can go to tooling within 14 days of that date, as a tooling slot is available for the king.

However, this, with experience, gives us 2 things to think about......

1) it is very rare for a cad/cam to be fault free and not need alterations and

2) please be aware that monies will be requested to start tooling from crowdfunders around that period or Just after.

Recently I’ve concentrated on the front bogie and have worked out a ‘gap filler’ (I call it this because every RTR model king to date has an incorrect gap where you can see daylight under the frames above the bogie.

I have designed a separate screw in piece of plastic for those with higher radius curves where this gap can be totally eliminated. This plastic will need customer fitting as the model will be radius 2 compatible straight from the box.

More in a few weeks.

Cheers

Dave

It's nice to know things are still progressing even if it is taking longer than you thought. Let's hope the cad/cam is ok

Dave

Hi Dave, I would like one of the King Class, “King George” to be precise, I did express interest on the website and really just wanted to check that you received that and when payment is needed to proceed with the order. Regards, George.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That's because the original CADs were for 00. ;)

3 inches! 3 blinking inches.........no laughing at the back.

i've asked a member of this forum to check over the king cad/cam with me, and we are slightly squeezed on the length of both the body, and the tender.

its scales at roughly 3 inches over sized at 12 inches to the foot) for both, which is obviously not good.

so the engineer in the factory is re-checking measurements against the 2D and original 3D laser scan to see where this has come about and to see if its only for length and not height and width.

He's (the engineer) also put the capuchon 90 degrees to what it should on top of the chimney. but thats an easy fix, luckily.and i do not know how that simple error crept in, but thats what checking is for.

I've also noticed that theres more gap under the frames above the bogie than i would like so that will need a bit of remedial.

All the bogie detail looks superb on the cad/cam though, but i'd rather show a more complete model as the first one shown here.

fingers crossed the cad/cam will arrive over the weekend or early next week to give a Bank Holiday boost, irrispective of the weather this weekend.

Update as soon as i know, but i would think tooling is not far away now (yes i know, fingers crossed etc etc).

chers

Dave

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

First Cad/Cam designs of the King released!

Today marks just over a month since i changed this project from 1 factory to another and this is the second cad/cam that i have received for checking. so progress is quite quick by comparison.

Anyway, its a bit of a melange, and this will need sorting for all the alternate details this model will have (cab, smokebox door, Chimneys etc), but it does show good progress on this at last.

There is currently no gap between the top of the bogie and the underside of the chassis, which is prototypical and i hope will be kept on production models.

Just to note that the splashers will also be thinner in depth as they do look awful at the minute.

If you have not pre-ordered your model or models, you have only until i sign off on the tooling to do so (remember this is a crowdfunded model, and as it has reached the numbers needed will go into tooling almost immediately once the final cad/cam is accepted.

Once this is done, you can still order an N gauge King locomotives but the price will then rise to £169.95 per model as you will be outside the crowdfunded 'envelope' and as such you will not get the benefit of the lower price. this then plays fair with all those that have and will sign up before the tooling starts.

Anyway, hope you like the progress so far but please remember there are changes needed, but if you see something obvious, please comment here and i'll take a look.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-48191400-1527077431_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-33796100-1527077441_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-31939100-1527077451_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-41830400-1527077461_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-85091600-1527077469_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-18295100-1527077478_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-42396000-1527077488_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

First Cad/Cam designs of the King released!

Today marks just over a month since i changed this project from 1 factory to another and this is the second cad/cam that i have received for checking. so progress is quite quick by comparison.

Anyway, its a bit of a melange, and this will need sorting for all the alternate details this model will have (cab, smokebox door, Chimneys etc), but it does show good progress on this at last.

There is currently no gap between the top of the bogie and the underside of the chassis, which is prototypical and i hope will be kept on production models.

Just to note that the splashers will also be thinner in depth as they do look awful at the minute.

If you have not pre-ordered your model or models, you have only until i sign off on the tooling to do so (remember this is a crowdfunded model, and as it has reached the numbers needed will go into tooling almost immediately once the final cad/cam is accepted.

Once this is done, you can still order an N gauge King locomotives but the price will then rise to £169.95 per model as you will be outside the crowdfunded 'envelope' and as such you will not get the benefit of the lower price. this then plays fair with all those that have and will sign up before the tooling starts.

Anyway, hope you like the progress so far but please remember there are changes needed, but if you see something obvious, please comment here and i'll take a look.

cheers

Dave

The shape of the inside of the coal bunker doesn't look quite right to me. Looks like the sides are too vertical and there is a stepin half way along. Which also leaves the two tank vents too close to the centreline of the tender.

compare it to here:

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/gwr_collett_4000_gallon_tender.htm

When I get home I'll look in Russell where I know there is a good aerial photo of the 4000 gallon tender.

EDIT: An aerial photo in Russell p233 shows the shape of the bunker interior well.

Do you have a CAD view of the tender front as there is are sloping lines of rivets on them which match where the bunker sides are behind. 

I've attached a view of how I think the inside of the bunker looks. Although I may have the tank vent at the top of the image too close to the tender sides.

EDIT: The position of the tank vents also matches the photo in Russell p233

post-1605-0-47934100-1527078726.png

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Presumably the drawings are some way from being finalised as eg there are no couplers as yet. I'll be very impressed if that minimal bogie gap can be maintained on the production version - what is the target minimum radius?

Presumably the drawings are some way from being finalised as eg there are no couplers as yet. I'll be very impressed if that minimal bogie gap can be maintained on the production version - what is the target minimum radius?

the target is second radius, but that may mean fitting an alternate bogie.

The fix for the light under the frames/ above the bogie is actually surprisingly easy. 

cheers

dave

Hi everyone,

More progress and a slight couple of back steps on the King Cad/Cam, but here's the latest one hot off the press form an hour ago.

Things to note:

1) The BL**** horrible coupling housing on the front! i hate it, can see why its there, but dont want it. Opinions?

2) Splashers are thinner, but please note that the driving wheel flanges might be seen from certain angles

3) Buffer Beam corrected

4) Cab roof profile not corrected

5) Loco to tender connections designed and in place

6) Mechanism and chassis block currently being worked on

7) Tender detail not quite there yet.

Anyway, on with the pics. As always C+C welcome.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-87919000-1527760429_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-31247000-1527760437_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-29046300-1527760445_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-29191100-1527760454_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-35128000-1527760462_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi,

I can only comment on the coupler housing, hate is not too strong a word, it surely has to go - this is not a toy.  I'd cancel my 'interests' if something that ugly were produced.

Regards, Gerry.

And i wouldn't blame you to be fair.

I know some would like but apart from tooling for a second bogie frame (which will cost) i'm not sure, given clearances needed that its a good idea either designing wise or aesthetically.

I know some would like but apart from tooling for a second bogie frame (which will cost) i'm not sure, given clearances needed that its a good idea either designing wise or aesthetically.

First thing I do with any new loco,is to get rid of the front coupler, except on shunters.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'd subsidise the two bogie solution, the lesser of two evils...

First thing I do with any new loco,is to get rid of the front coupler, except on shunters.

As do I, but take another look at that first image, the pocket itself is far too obtrusive, I don't see a way of reducing that.

Regards, Gerry.