DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

<snip>

Orders are still being taken for the King while it’s in design stage.

However once that’s completed ready fro tooling it will be ‘locked out’ and tooling deposits will be charged. So if your name is down for 1 or more models, you won’t be invoiced until then.

<snip>

Dave, the point that Doggerlonian is making is that, whilst he THINKS he's ordered a King, in the absence of any acknowledgement he can't be certain.  I'm in the same situation.  I think I've ordered the three BR liveried examples, but I've had no acknowledgement either.  What happens if the website failed to register my order, and I don't discover this until after the order process has been locked out?

• RMweb Premium

You have to remember that I live across the pond in America so the currency difference is a thing, plus I model 00.

Unlikely to make more than a 10% difference really. Just can't quite get my head around "I can afford £100 now, but won't be able to in a couple of months". Surely the OO gauge thing means you've just changed your mind too, that's nothing to do with timing...?

Anyway, Apologies for derailing the thread!

Dave, the point that Doggerlonian is making is that, whilst he THINKS he's ordered a King, in the absence of any acknowledgement he can't be certain.  I'm in the same situation.  I think I've ordered the three BR liveried examples, but I've had no acknowledgement either.  What happens if the website failed to register my order, and I don't discover this until after the order process has been locked out?

Hi Dave, the point made by dave_7820 is absolutely on the money, despite going through the expression of interest procedure & giving personal details, (3 times to date) I've absolutely no idea if I've ordered a model or not, as I've had no acknowledgement one way or another. I understand fully how the invoicing process works etc. I'd just like to know if I've ordered a model. Please could you confirm whether or not you've received my order/expression of interest  and anybody else who maybe in the same position in the same position. Many thanks in advance. 

I ordered a King when it was first announced in March. I hadn't received a confirmation so I asked if there was any way of checking my original order because I couldn't remember which one I'd ordered. I sent the message on 11th June and later that day Dave replied from the nthusiast@hotmail.co.uk address with details or my original order and the additional one that I added later.

Dave

I trust in the system. I went through the expression interest screen and as there was no indication of an abnormal end to the process I am pretty certain the registration was successful.

If I don't get an invoice when they are sent out I will contact Dave. I don't feel the need to send an email to check and would rather Dave spent his time working on the cad.

This is Dave's first crowdfunding and not his normal business model so I am sure he is learning as he goes. It would have been better to include an automated email acknowledgement of registration and, if he does another crowdfunding, I hope this little issue will be fixed.

• RMweb Gold

I trust in the system. I went through the expression interest screen and as there was no indication of an abnormal end to the process I am pretty certain the registration was successful.

If I don't get an invoice when they are sent out I will contact Dave. I don't feel the need to send an email to check and would rather Dave spent his time working on the cad.

This is Dave's first crowdfunding and not his normal business model so I am sure he is learning as he goes. It would have been better to include an automated email acknowledgement of registration and, if he does another crowdfunding, I hope this little issue will be fixed.

Class 71 in OO was Dave's first crowdfunded loco. As you say, the system does seem to work, even with no acknowledgements.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a King when it was first announced in March. I hadn't received a confirmation so I asked if there was any way of checking my original order because I couldn't remember which one I'd ordered. I sent the message on 11th June and later that day Dave replied from the nthusiast@hotmail.co.uk address with details or my original order and the additional one that I added later.

Dave

I'd previously tried info@djmodels.co.uk as per Dave's post in the N Gauge Forum.  I've now also sent an email as per the above posts, asking for confirmation.  Unfortunately, a week later, I've had nothing back yet.

Should've gone to Specsavers.... That's 5012 Berry Pomeroy Castle

Or don't do searches from minute phone screens.

Of course i cannot find the actual images of kings now.

Have to settle for video footage at 8 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwFV1_786Y&t=1026s

Kings were running through Oxford in their final years

Mike Wiltshire

Kings were running through Oxford in their final years

Surprising in that the route from Didcot to Aynho Junction was only single Red as far as I know. It must have been granted dispensation for the SLS special.

Surprising in that the route from Didcot to Aynho Junction was only single Red as far as I know. It must have been granted dispensation for the SLS special.

6000 ran several specials in the 1970's via Oxford, including the first Return To Steam 2nd October 1971 and the line had not been upgraded to my knowledge with steam only having finished three years previously.

The Newport - Gloucester route was not double red, though 6011/18 double headed on the line to Chepstow for bridge testing 5/11/62 and 6019 was routed Swindon to Newport via Gloucester on its way to be cut up at Cashmores.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

The commentary contradicts itself stating firstly via Oxford and then on familiar territory Ayhno and High Wycombe. Also it states that it takes the Greenford loop. I was always under the impression that Kings were banned from Oxford

That is not the route the train is on it has always  been double track. There are two sections of split running between Aynho and High Wycombe which give the appearance of single track running

Surprising in that the route from Didcot to Aynho Junction was only single Red as far as I know.

That is not the route the train is on it has always  been double track. There are two sections of split running between Aynho and High Wycombe which give the appearance of single track running

I meant single Red in terms of the weight restriction rather than the number of tracks.

A 1958 WTT gives loads for 'King' via Bicester or Oxford which would seem to indicate that by then 'Kings' were permitted via Oxford.

Let's all hunt for pictures of Kings at Oxford. Most steam photos seem to be from those last years so there should be one somewhere. 6018 could have had special dispensation for that last run - the weight restrictions were mostly about track damage from sustained use rather than something collapsing under a one-off run. Or it could be the line was upgraded as the line to Cardiff was.

There cannot be many normal service trains at Oxford that a King would be rostered for. They could not run on to Worcester and I can hardly see one on an Oxford commuter service. So diversion of Birmingham services from the Bicester line seems the most likely.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

The commentary contradicts itself stating firstly via Oxford and then on familiar territory Ayhno and High Wycombe. Also it states that it takes the Greenford loop. I was always under the impression that Kings were banned from Oxford

The run filmed, from the Midlands, went up to London via Bicester, turned off the main line via the Greenford loop (Double red rated????) then left again to join the GW mainline to Slough for a stop, then on to Swindon, Turned, then back to the Midlands via Didcot west loop, and Oxford.

I have just been to the Shildon show and we were all taking about this. There is an opinion that the Bicester route was shut due to a derailment, at one point and all the Birmingham services had to travel via Oxford, some via Thame but the Kings had to go via Didcot.

I was also reminded regarding 6029 in 1930 working Manchester to Liverpool ( at one point in convoy with Hush Hush 10000 and a garrett - now there's a train to model!, but how did it get there without going off double red routes - it came back via Chester????

Mike Wiltshire

Let's all hunt for pictures of Kings at Oxford. Most steam photos seem to be from those last years so there should be one somewhere. 6018 could have had special dispensation for that last run - the weight restrictions were mostly about track damage from sustained use rather than something collapsing under a one-off run. Or it could be the line was upgraded as the line to Cardiff was.

There cannot be many normal service trains at Oxford that a King would be rostered for. They could not run on to Worcester and I can hardly see one on an Oxford commuter service. So diversion of Birmingham services from the Bicester line seems the most likely.

Chris

Kings have run on a number of routes in preservation that were not permitted during their service years, for exampe as described here:

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/archive/The-Works/Locos/35.html

• RMweb Gold

The run filmed, from the Midlands, went up to London via Bicester, turned off the main line via the Greenford loop (Double red rated????) then left again to join the GW mainline to Slough for a stop, then on to Swindon, Turned, then back to the Midlands via Didcot west loop, and Oxford.

I have just been to the Shildon show and we were all taking about this. There is an opinion that the Bicester route was shut due to a derailment, at one point and all the Birmingham services had to travel via Oxford, some via Thame but the Kings had to go via Didcot.

I was also reminded regarding 6029 in 1930 working Manchester to Liverpool ( at one point in convoy with Hush Hush 10000 and a garrett - now there's a train to model!, but how did it get there without going off double red routes - it came back via Chester????

Mike Wiltshire

'Kings' were cleared as far as Saltney Junction  (which sounds a bit daft but there was obviously a reason for it only going that far).  Clearance for one-off movements would be something done specially for the move and of course might well involve restrictions that would not be acceptable for everyday working.

The fact that by 1958 loads were quoted via Oxford for 'Kings' indicates that it is more than reasonable to assume that by then the route between Didcot and Aynho had been cleared for 'Kings' - they were definitely not permitted that way in 1947 (subject once again to my comment about special clearance).  As Oxford was an obvious diversionary route for northern services from Paddington I presume there was something which specifically prevented the route being cleared for 'Kings' in regular traffic but that whatever it was (an underbridge perhaps?) was rebuilt or strengthened during the 1950s and the restriction was removed.  Regrettably I can't lay hands on any contemporaneous documents or publications which would confirm that one way or the other.

The Greenford Loop was cleared as Double Red in GWR days - no doubt because it was an important diversionary route in even of the line being blocked via either Park Royal (the most likely) or Ealing Broadway.