Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Issue 255 has arrived in the shop this morning and is no doubt now winging its way to other retailers, subscribers and even Smiths branches.

post-19301-0-87775400-1495188362_thumb.jpg

Here is my description of the contents:

Karl Crowther is in the editorial chair once more, and leads with a thought provoking and uplifting piece on the benefits that visiting exhibitions and involvement in the wider hobby offers us all. The main article is an update on developments on Hywel Thomas's wonderful "Morfa Bank Sidings" featuring a canal and locks running through the centre of the layout - jaw droppingly good modelling.

Other features include an examination of the coal drops on Karl's Hebble Vale Goods, the award winning "Mill" layout by Jason Thomas and Chris Rogers (also with well modelled coal drops), a glimpse of Edge Hill and a retrospective on operation at Dewsbury Midland from Bob Essery. Constructional articles are Pete Jary on building a bunch of 7mm scale banana vans and Adam Chapman scratchbuilding a Swindon built Lowmac, an inspiring mixture of fretting out brass, plastikard wrangling and the odd commercial casting - all of which produces a superb result and makes me want to take the piercing saw of its hook and get going.

In addition, small suppliers forum, diary, letters and an obituary to mark the sad passing of Chris Crofts back in February, the author of the seminal series on scratchbuilding wagons in MRJs 12-15. 

Another vintage issue I think.

Simon

• Like 6

My subscription copy arrived today, but still unopened as I have been building a double slip to a deadline.

If you're too busy to read it, send it to me and I'll read it for you - hadn't turned up in Wimbledon when I looked yesterday.

If you're too busy to read it, send it to me and I'll read it for you - hadn't turned up in Wimbledon when I looked yesterday.

I've finished building the double slip, just need to work out how to assemble some Ambis tie rods I've got in stock. I may have to give upon that, based on past experience and order some Masokits ones.

So no, I can't send you my MRJ 255, but if you phone me I could offer to read you a bedtime story from it.

• Like 2

Picked up a copy in the Ian Allan emporium in Waterloo today and only had a brief run through on the train but one of the best issues for a while, some really stunning stuff in there. Compliments to all who contributed.

• RMweb Gold

I've finished building the double slip, just need to work out how to assemble some Ambis tie rods I've got in stock. I may have to give upon that, based on past experience and order some Masokits ones.

So no, I can't send you my MRJ 255, but if you phone me I could offer to read you a bedtime story from it.

Morfa Bank sidings would be a good one, but can you do the pictures in sign language for me.

An excellent issue.

Arrived today, excellent content. Coal drops appear to be the flavour of the month.

I mention on another thread that Lord Willoughby wanted to install Guano drops at Little Bytham Station for transfering the material to his own (private) railway, the Edenham Branch, so not just Coal Drops.

Edit :- The Mill, I must be wrong, but I'm surprised the Loading Shed is entirely stretcher bond brickwork, but Jason and Chris are up in the Shipley area, so presumably it's right.

I might have expected either an English Bond or a variation on the Common Bond (English Garden Wall Bond).

Edited by Penlan

So far nobody has mentioned Karl Crother's forward.
I'm not sure that Railway Modelling is conducive to good mental health, let alone holding back the onset of Alzheimer's.
I've known more than one friend whose modelling activities nearly brought on a divorce, and thus associated mental anguish.
Following through Karl's list of the evolution of modelling from one's first introduction, kits, layouts, exhibiting etc., I have travelled that path, and a healthy mental experience is not the way I saw it, yes a few highs, but many, many lows, especially in the early days of etched kits.... :jester: 
Indeed at present, I'm wrestling with extreme anguish over some models I would like to complete now, they have lain dormant for some 25+ years, they are giving me some extreme mental anguish - probably because I've forgotten how to do things etc.,

I'm tempted to say, if anybody ends up with Alzheimer's, by that time they are probably out of the main spheres of modelling, and have little contact with the wider social scene.  

I'm certainly aware of a couple of very competent modellers who have Parkinson's.

Edited by Penlan

I mention on another thread that Lord Willoughby wanted to install Guano drops...

I notice that Hornby have produced various Cadbury's wagons over the years. Do these require the construction of chocolate drops?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Penlan. I have responded in the Mill thread but thought I would add the response here too, in case anyone else was curious.

It's actually SE Finecast 7mm stretcher bond brick, to represent dressed stone in 4mm. Maybe a bit too uniform but some sand / gritstone buildings do appear to be built of stones that are pretty regular in size. It is more convincing as stone (in my opinion) than the SEF 4mm dressed stone sheets (and has narrower mortar courses), which was actually used on the chimney (borrowed, rather permanently it would seem) from Bacup.

I guess I could have used Slaters as on the mill but to be honest we were running out of time and I fancied putting in the corner stones; it would have been a pain and possibly looked scruffy had I tried to trim the Slaters stones to size to fit convincingly. I used the SEF sheets on a couple of buildings on Bacup too, so that not all structures were constructed from the same stone.

• Like 1

Jason T - Many thanks, I was thinking, after I posted, is it stone work, but the regularity threw me.

I should have kept my thoughts to myself, a great article though, but oh what a pain those 130 windows must have been.

• RMweb Premium

I should have kept my thoughts to myself, a great article though, but oh what a pain those 130 windows must have been.

Not at all; that's the beauty of forums, we can get answers to our questions and at least you didn't ask if the main building was Metcalfe, which has happened at an exhibition!

A bloke at our club, a born and bred Bradfordian so accustomed to seeing old stone buildings, once asked us if bricks were invented in the 1930's. Oh how we laughed.......

Cant seem to find this issue :-( my local Smiths havent got it .....

Well, your only just round the corner for distribution, we had this issue in Penzance WHS on Wednesday.