A big pair of buffers

More curious than the width of the head is the 'twin' shank each buffer is equipped with. It's difficult to be certain whether there are two separate shanks behind each head or whether there is a single '8' section shank. Either way, I've never seen the like before.

Guest Isambarduk

"And no, I'll not be doing that one...."

Well, I have a Peckett and it is going to have dumb buffers but I would really like to make a set of these - they would be straight forward enough - so please may we have more info about the loco?  Thanks.

David

If they are double shanks, could it be for shunting mixed gauge? The South Devon Railway broad gauge dock tanks had two separate buffers each side, with a large head connected to both, for shunting broad and narrow (AKA standard) gauge wagons.

When I saw this thread title I thought oh no, a thread about chesty Morgan (for those who don't remember her Google it) but I'm pleased to say it's about loco buffers . . . .

Phew.

G

When I saw this thread title I thought oh no, a thread about chesty Morgan (for those who don't remember her Google it) but I'm pleased to say it's about loco buffers . . . .

Phew.

G

I don't need to Google her - I've got a very vivid memory!

Even after all these years.......................... :angel:

the two buffer stocks definitely look like a single casting, but the odd thing is that normally if you want to avoid buffer lock on industrial locos you have large diameter buffer heads or dumb buffers

another little curios to model one day

Here's the source:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Larger-Negative-Industrial-Steam-loco-NCB-Sutton-Colliery-BC55-P-2022-42-1959-/272728992981?hash=item3f7fea2cd5:g:cPAAAOSwjRpZSqKs

P2022 of 1942 was a W7 supplied new to Butterley Co Ltd for Codnor Park Forge (so yes, for steelworks type work).

Here is a snip of the rear buffers showing a bit more detail for those (David!) wishing to recreate these monstrosities:

post-17823-0-18543800-1498675518_thumb.jpg

Now then - it appears these buffers might possibly be a product of the Butterley Co, as a picture of another set - on what might be a Butterley Co-built locomotive used at Codnor Park Forge - has come to light on the excellent Chasewaterstuff website (image below link):

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/ncb-west-midlands-division-area-2-locomotives/brereton-collieries-ltd/

post-17823-0-87587100-1498675278_thumb.jpg

If anyone can find out more about Codnor Park Forge, feel free to add it here.

Below is a nice photo of some beams loaded at Codnor Park for delivery:

post-17823-0-96635400-1498675828_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 5

More curious than the width of the head is the 'twin' shank each buffer is equipped with. It's difficult to be certain whether there are two separate shanks behind each head or whether there is a single '8' section shank. Either way, I've never seen the like before.

I'd guess that there would be two separate shanks, given the difficulty (and therefor cost) of machining a weird figure 8 shape either externally on the shank or internally within the stock. Could be wrong though.

I beleive I once saw an engine with double buffer shanks, its on the cover of fred harmans book about narrow gauge manning wardles

What about eight buffers...

Wait does the van it's coupled to also a quad buffer?

Guest Isambarduk

I'd guess that there would be two separate shanks, given the difficulty (and therefor cost) of machining a weird figure 8 shape either externally on the shank or internally within the stock. Could be wrong though.

Actually, assuming that we're talking about the same thing, I think the buffer stock is a single casting.  It would have been quite straight forward and normal to make a wooden pattern of the shape (from individual components) and then to have cast from that.  The machining of a single casting with two sockets for two buffer shanks would not have been a particular challenge either.  The fit of the double buffer shanks in these sockets would not have required great precision so I expect that the buffer shanks and head were fabricated from (at least) three parts.

David

Guest Isambarduk

Wait does the van it's coupled to also a quad buffer?

No, I think not.  What you can see is the back of the additional enlarged buffer head that is riveted to the smaller 'standard' one on the loco.   David

Actually, assuming that we're talking about the same thing, I think the buffer stock is a single casting.  It would have been quite straight forward and normal to make a wooden pattern of the shape (from individual components) and then to have cast from that.  The machining of a single casting with two sockets for two buffer shanks would not have been a particular challenge either.  The fit of the double buffer shanks in these sockets would not have required great precision so I expect that the buffer shanks and head were fabricated from (at least) three parts.

David

We may be at crossed purposes here. I agree that the stocks are single castings but I contend that it is likely that they would be machined by boring two circular holes in them. These could easily form a figure 8 if they overlapped but this would mean that the buffer shank would need to be figure 8 shaped. I can't think of a  simple and therefore cost-effective method of machining such a thing, even to a fairly rough stnadard, prior to the availability of CNC (or at least NC) mills. I suppose you could turn two circular shanks, machine flats on them and weld them together but it would be rather a faff when you could simply use two separate shanks.