Sharpest Main Line Curve

D854_Tiger

• RMweb Gold

Closed since 1963 but can I nominate the very wiggly Porthcawl Branch, where the only locos not restricted to 5mph were Tondu 44xx, restricted to 15mph, and they had to be regularly turned to even out flange wear.  The other 44xx branches, Princetown and Much Wenlock, were pretty wiggly as well, but IIRC didn't involve the engines having to be turned like this.

Define main line.  Is it any running line, does the definition include permissive block freight lines, are station limits included?  Turnouts and pointwork?  Light railways?  I'll assume we are not counting narrow gauge, although the Ffestiniog was operated as a full main line for many years.

Barry leading on to the Barry Island branch is a bit severe as well, but I'm sure there are better examples than that.  

Edited by The Johnster

Define main line.  Is it any running line, does the definition include permissive block freight lines, are station limits included?  Turnouts and pointwork?  

I was thinking pretty much any current UK standard gauge passenger or freight line (though would be interested to hear off closed routes) excluding yards and private sidings, including pointwork.

I would offer up Northam curve at Southampton on the Wessex main line to Weymouth, it carries an intensive passenger and heavy freight service - it's defo not some piddley branch line, squeaky station throat or tight short spur between two other routes.

The curve from Liskeard station onto the Moorswater branch is bum clenchingly tight

• RMweb Gold

Oxley curve (Wolverhampton) is a tight one at the bottom end

Passenger line wise the curve coming in from the Cumbrian coast to carlisle station is tight too

Not tight but interesting is queensville curve in Stafford, flat out on greens with the NMT is always great fun

Edited by big jim

Lifford Curve at Kings Norton is pretty tight.

Oh now that's a good one, can't think of many tighter than that one.

I was shopping in Lifford once (don't ask) the curve being in a cutting is not easily visible and knowing the sparsity of traffic anyway I wan't really bothering to look.

Then suddenly, I couldn't quite work out where the noise was coming from but there was no mistaking that sound of train and tight curve and, round there, there was only one curve it could be.

The only surprise to me was that they had actually found some legitimate traffic to send round it, given that it's a pretty pointless piece of track, unless you're running diversions, and even that usefulness seems a bit overegged.

I will now offer the curve coming of the Heart of Wales line at Craven Arms and that curve at Barnt Green onto the Redditch branch as being more than a bit tight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would offer up Northam curve at Southampton on the Wessex main line to Weymouth, it carries an intensive passenger and heavy freight service - it's defo not some piddley branch line, squeaky station throat or tight short spur between two other routes.

And, as I'm sure you know Southernman46, the Northam curve used to be even tighter. It was eased, but only slightly, IIRC during the 1980s. Wasn't the work done at Northam at the same time that Southampton Tunnel was repaired and the main lines made bi-directional from Southampton Central to Northam?

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking pretty much any current UK standard gauge passenger or freight line (though would be interested to hear off closed routes) excluding yards and private sidings, including pointwork.

On those criteria, the delta junction on the DLR must surely be the winner.

• RMweb Gold

I can vouch for the curve at Barnt Green towards Redditch that's extremely tight with it's speed restricted to 15mph going towards Alvechurch you have to really keep an eye on the Speedo as it creeps up ever so easily where as the the other way just leave the Power/brake controller in off and it holds perfectly fine coming into Barnt Green.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The original curve at Ferryman's Corner on the Weymouth Quay line probably was a contender as it required special couplings. Would agree with Grosmont (Esk Valley) suggestion for modern curves.

• RMweb Gold

The curve at Hall Royd Junction, Todmorden where the line to Copy Pit branches from the Leeds - Manchester Victoria route must rank highly on the list.

Crimple curve on the Harrogate line between Pannel and Hornbeam Park, where Pacers can get stuck!

Even on the ECML King Edward South to KEB North is really tight!

Mark Saunders

Thinking about Pacers and curves I guess thinking about where they have been banned, like on the Cornish branches, might be a good guide as to severe curves.

Or were they banned from Cornwll because of the sheer number of curves rather than the curves being of tight radius.

• RMweb Gold

In addition to Syston North and Firsby which have already been mentioned, Trent East to Trent North near Long Eaton is pretty tight and heavily used by both passenger and freight including Lindsay oil tankers. 10mph leading into an adverse camber junction

Its 10mph through the pointwork and 30 on the curve

I remember reading a claim that Southampton is the lowest speed limit on a main line route in the country (15mph? I'm sure I read that somewhere, but no doubt one of our resident drivers will know what it actually is).