Signalling for modellers who don't know much about signalling

• RMweb Gold

Having just been involved in a discussion on another thread where a very skilled and competent scenic modeller has attracted comment for showing photos with wrongly and in fact impossibly set signals, it occurred to me that it might be an idea to start a thread in which the basics could be outlined in a way in which people unfamiliar with and daunted by such matters could easily grasp them or have them explained in the event that they are not up to speed.  It is easy for those who have railway experience to understand what is going on, and easy for them (IMHO) to underestimate how complex the subject is for the incognesciti.

I think a part of the problem is that attempts to teach oneself the basics of signalling, especially semaphore where examples on the ground that one can observe are becoming harder to find, are easily bogged down in block regulations, which are vital to the safe running of a real railway, but, I would venture to suggest, less relevant to modelling where the more usual situation is a need to understand what happens within station limits.  The need is to illustrate what signals perform what tasks, how the drivers are instructed to read them, and how they would be positioned in the context of a track layout.  There is also, I postulate, a need for a jargon buster, and a simple outlining of different companies' methods.  Unless otherwise stated these refer to BR practice, and initially refers to a double track situation with up and down lines.

To start the ball rolling, with the jargonbuster:-

. On.  The signal is showing a danger or caution aspect, with the board in the horizontal position and a yellow or red light at night depending on the type of signal.

. Off.  The signal is showing a clear or proceed aspect, with the board in an upper or lower quadrant diagonal position and a green light at night.

. Distant signal.  The first signal a driver sees when he is approaching a station (which for the purposes of this thread is an area of track between sections directly controlled by a signal box, and need not be a 'station' in the conventional sense at all).  It is a yellow signal with a black stripe in a fishtail shape.  It is intended as an advance warning to the driver that he may be required to stop at the next signal.  As such it is usually 440 yards before that signal.  If it is 'off', i.e. showing a clear aspect or a green light at night, the driver can assume that all the signals that apply to him on his train at the upcoming station are clear and he may pass through at line speed or the maximum speed of his train, whichever is less.  

If it is 'on', then he passes it, but must be prepared to bring his train to a stop at the next signal and any of the signals which apply to him on his train at this station.  If the line speed is 40mph or less, it will be fixed in the on position; this is called a fixed distant.  In the on position, it shows a yellow light at night.  GWR ATC (Automatic Train Control) and the similar BR AWS (Automatic Warning System) equipment is situated at these signals.  440 yards is a long way on a model, 50 feet in 00, and few of us have the room to place these in the correct location, but there are situations which I will come back to where it would be modelled in less than that distance.

. Home Signal.  The familiar red signal board with the white band.  The driver MUST STOP, no ifs no buts, at this signal if it is on, showing danger or a red light at night; it shows a green light when it is off.  He must equally stop, no ifs no buts, at any signal of this appearance.  It marks the end of the section that he has just come through, and the beginning of this box's 'station limits', which stretch as far as the start of the next section.  Shunting movements, trains occupying platforms with other trains entering the platform behind them, coupling up or uncoupling, wrong line movements and such movements can be carried out within the station limits by using shunting or subsidiary signals or handsignals from authorised staff.  The Home Signal may be of two types, depending on the layout and size of the box and it's station limits, as an Outer Home and an Inner Home.  The Outer Home is the one the incoming driver encounters first, and is usually provided where a shunting movement has to be carried out back towards the section from the Inner Home position, thus the Outer Home protects it.  Similarly, if there is a junction and movements across the path of the train have to be protected, an Outer Home will provide this protection.

The Inner Home, sometimes the only one provided, protects the train while it is in station limits as it cannot be cleared until the train is past the Starter Signal which we will come to shortly.

. Starter Signal.  Often found on the end of a platform and used to authorise the starting of a train into the next section, this is of the same appearance as the Home, a red signal with a white band.  It protects the next section, and a train is not authorised to proceed into that section until it is cleared; it is thus also known, more correctly, as the Section Signal.  Like the Home, it comes in two sorts, Starter and Advanced Starter, which is further along the line, and, if provided, become the Section Signal.

So, in this simplistic setup, a train's driver approaching a station will first encounter a Distant Signal, yellow fishtail board with black stripe, showing green light clear or yellow light caution at night.  If clear, all the other signals he will encounter at this box will be clear and he can proceed at line or train speed through the box's station limits and into the next section.  He will then encounter the Home Signal, at which he must stop if it is on, followed by the Starter or Section Signal at which he must also stop if it is on; both of these are red boards with white stripes, and there may be an Outer Home and/or an Advanced Starter Section Signal depending on the layout of the particular box.  Similar signals will be provided on the opposite line, the down if this is the up.

More when I get around to it, but I've mislaid my round toit, so in a bit!

Questions welcome!

I'm not an expert, and this is an unbelievably complex field, so I'm trying to establish basic principles for general modelling purposes.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

This only applies for semaphore signalling, the principles for colour light signal are quite different. My proposal for a new book on Modern Railway Signalling are here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123636-possible-new-book-on-modern-railway-signalling/page-1

If people want. I can add some of the bigger stuff on here, but it take some time.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I understand what you are attempting to achieve, I fear that you may have confused things even more so.

I'm afraid that some of your information is inaccurate, some is incomplete and some is confusing. As a few examples I give the following: I know what you mean by the word "board" but it isn't in your jargon buster (and whilst original signal arms may have been wooden, later arms tended to be made of metal); It wasn't only the black lines on a distant signal that were fishtail type and it wasn't only at nights when lamps needed to be alight. Your 440 yards measurement reference applies to something completely different.

There's no harm in wanting to explain the subject but can I suggest it is best left to those people who have the skill and technical know how to get the basic facts right and explain them in a manner where there can be no chance of confusion.

Edited by Ray H

• RMweb Gold

The diagram 1/2 is a little confusing as every main signal has an overlap. That style that is text heavy without supporting diagrams is one of the issues discussed in Simons thread, it creates as much confusion as it solves. They are also using the original terms 'advance' and 'in rear' which even the full size railway has changed in recent years because it still confuses and leads to misunderstandings.

In 'advance', (traditional), means the line 'beyond' ,(current term), the signal.

In 'rear' , (traditional), means on the 'approach to' ,(current term), the signal.

The above images only apply to Absolute Block Signalling and there are subtle and major differences to each Signalling system. There's Track circuit block and various Token block systems.

Signalling isn't that complicated once you know the rules but it's very hard to distill into a few posts because there are several systems and inevitably will be split over several pages so it may be worth editing the original post to index the thread :)

Edited by PaulRhB

The diagram 1/2 is a little confusing as every main signal has an overlap.

Not in the block signalling which is the subject of that diagram. The overlap shown is from the first home to the 'clearance point' required to give Line clear. Subsequent home and starters don't have overlaps hence the requirement to warn approaching trains at the first home if they are required to pull further into station limits and stop at one of the subsequent signals.

I agree with RayH that this topic is more likely to confuse than help. There are lots of signalling discussions on here already to refer to as well as many other sources of info.

Its much easier to answer specific questions than try to lay down generic information.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

A brave attempt by the Johnster but as said above a very complex subject. There are a few signalling experts on here and maybe, if in doubt, it may be better to post a diagram of your set up, asking for advice, as I've seen done a few times. There were lots of anomalies relating to different situations and within regions.

• RMweb Gold

Technically yes in that system but in a topic about general Signalling it doesn't specify Absolute Block so I still feel it is confusing the issue.

Even then they may not be called overlaps but they are still effectively there, but a restricted overlap, hence the method of working. I remember it causing confusion on our course for those with no prior railway knowledge, you were taught AB then did a one week Track Circuit Block conversion.

As I alluded to above it really needs splitting into the different systems as the terms will confuse due to the differences in operation.

We've already exposed the weakness of trying to explain Signalling in a topic, it needs to be all together in one post then the subsequent posts could look at variations. The forum is better suited to specific plans and Signalling them, as Roger noted, and a website or book, as Simon is working on, is better as it can deal with it in order and separate systems into chapters.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

I really wanted to avoid getting involved in block regulations as I think that they are not the most important part of using or placing signals on an 'average' layout, where the action takes place within station limits, and their complexity is off-putting to people who only want basic principles of station working explained to them.  But I should have explained 'board' and that I was, for the time being, referring to simple absolute block working of semaphore signals.  In fact, I have within a few sentences fallen foul of the very jargon and industry gobbledegook I was trying to avoid; epic fail!

But at least I have managed to get a thread going, hopefully one that will present good information in an easy to digest form for people who need guidance in the matter.  I did not claim to be an expert, and a problem sometimes with experts is that they know what they are talking about, but forget or overlook the extent to which others don't.  

I was going to bring up overlaps, clearance points, limits of shunt and so forth in later posts (honest guv) but felt I'd written enough to be going on with for a first lesson.  By not ensuring that it wasn't potentially confusing, I may have written too much!.

My intention is to, in the next post, continue jargonbusting for the new items that will come up in it and then discuss basic shunting moves within station limits and how they are signalled and protected, in order to illustrate the basic principle that conflicting moves are protected by road setting and the signals, and that once this is taken into account, a newbie to the subject will have the fundamental ability to plan his own signalling and use it in a prototypical way.  The subject looks more complex and daunting than it is (not that it isn't complex and daunting), but, once it is reduced to how individual movements are carried out within the framework of normal signalling practice, they can be correctly recreated.  Even simple track layouts can bring up complications and questions, and prototype examples can be found which dealt with matters in different ways under the umbrella of the Section Appendix or instructions for working individual boxes, but general principles apply overall.

I will then, hopefully, go on to deal with single line working, permissive block, and individual companies methods such as the GW's 'Shunt Ahead', 'Calling On' and so forth, and, after that, go into matters such as splitting junction signals, 'cash register' indicators, and other methods of route indication, and repeaters and 'sky arms'.

Hopefully all of these will continue to generate criticism, comment, and correction from those of more erudition in the matter, which can only be a good thing.  I might even learn a bit myself...

I can continue into basic MAS principles as used in the 1970s when I was familiar with them, but feel it is probably best to leave more recent developments to others as I will be well out of my comfort zone by that time!

Many thanks to all of you for responding; that, at least, was part of what I intended even if I do feel a bit out of my depth all of a sudden...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad you are trying but it's worth highlighting the subtleties so people know which type of signalling you mean.

Also do you mean Single Line Working (working trains in both directions over a normally one direction line) or Working of Single Lines? ;)

It really is the terms that confuse things, hence why I picked up on overlap when it wasn't specified which system. ;)

(Nowadays a light engine can be a signal lamp or a light loco movement!)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

I really wanted to avoid getting involved in block regulations as I think that they are not the most important part of using or placing signals on an 'average' layout, where the action takes place within station limits, and their complexity is off-putting to people who only want basic principles of station working explained to them.  But I should have explained 'board' and that I was, for the time being, referring to simple absolute block working of semaphore signals.  In fact, I have within a few sentences fallen foul of the very jargon and industry gobbledegook I was trying to avoid; epic fail!

But at least I have managed to get a thread going, hopefully one that will present good information in an easy to digest form for people who need guidance in the matter.  I did not claim to be an expert, and a problem sometimes with experts is that they know what they are talking about, but forget or overlook the extent to which others don't.  

I was going to bring up overlaps, clearance points, limits of shunt and so forth in later posts (honest guv) but felt I'd written enough to be going on with for a first lesson.  By not ensuring that it wasn't potentially confusing, I may have written too much!.

My intention is to, in the next post, continue jargonbusting for the new items that will come up in it and then discuss basic shunting moves within station limits and how they are signalled and protected, in order to illustrate the basic principle that conflicting moves are protected by road setting and the signals, and that once this is taken into account, a newbie to the subject will have the fundamental ability to plan his own signalling and use it in a prototypical way.  The subject looks more complex and daunting than it is (not that it isn't complex and daunting), but, once it is reduced to how individual movements are carried out within the framework of normal signalling practice, they can be correctly recreated.  Even simple track layouts can bring up complications and questions, and prototype examples can be found which dealt with matters in different ways under the umbrella of the Section Appendix or instructions for working individual boxes, but general principles apply overall.

I will then, hopefully, go on to deal with single line working, permissive block, and individual companies methods such as the GW's 'Shunt Ahead', 'Calling On' and so forth, and, after that, go into matters such as splitting junction signals, 'cash register' indicators, and other methods of route indication, and repeaters and 'sky arms'.

Hopefully all of these will continue to generate criticism, comment, and correction from those of more erudition in the matter, which can only be a good thing.  I might even learn a bit myself...

I can continue into basic MAS principles as used in the 1970s when I was familiar with them, but feel it is probably best to leave more recent developments to others as I will be well out of my comfort zone by that time!

Many thanks to all of you for responding; that, at least, was part of what I intended even if I do feel a bit out of my depth all of a sudden...

Can I suggest that if you are intent on continuing with further sections that you ensure that what you intend to post is factually correct as the more inaccuracies the post(s) contain the harder it is for the less knowledgeable to get to grips with the subject matter.

I'd suggest that you find someone with the relevant knowledge - not me - and ask them to proof read what you intend to post. I think you also need to be prepared to accept that the subject isn't as easy to explain as some might think and that it is better as some have suggested above to get people to submit their questions based on their layouts or a physical location and then let the experts provide the knowledge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a past thread which ought to help (especially those of a Western inclination)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48504-gwr-signals-and-where-they-go/page-3

Whatever anybody writes I will echo Ray H's early comment and ask please that they make sure it is accurate and not wandering off into misleading terminology or displaying a lack of understanding or offering confused 'explanations' because more than enough rubbish has been written about signalling in the past and as Paul has said you need to consider the different systems.  So if you are going to write anything first check from original source material and then make sure - assuming it is accurate - that you can at least identify the relevance of the various block systems and why signals are positioned in such a way and have particular roles within any overall system.

Unfortunately with all signalling systems you do need some references to block working - in its many forms - in order to understand the purpose of some signals and the way in which they are worked - for example the (not 'a') Home Signal has a specific role in all the various semaphore signalling related block systems and it varies between some of the systems.  I suppose I ought to set to and march that book off to the publisher.   Mind you I do use the terms 'in advance' and in rear' because they are simple to understand. once properly explained and i have yet to meet a human being who hasn't got a rear which they can readily tap as a reminder ;)

• Like 1

I think in 11 (now 12) posts, we have just illustrated why signalling is seen as such a 'black art' by many modellers.

My own personal 'bible'. First read it over 30 years ago and I have thereafter always understood as much as I need to know for my modelling purposes:

post-16151-0-32988400-1504030675_thumb.jpg

Without wishing to claim any 'expert' knowledge in the subject - I'm not a 'professional' - I became increasingly alarmed as I read through the thread by the various confusing and inaccurate comments (the 440 yards for a Disatnt being a good example). It also overlooks the fact IMHO that there were variations in practice and terminology between different signalling contractors and railway companies (and even Districts therein), as well as changes over time etc etc. 

Whilst I would agree that it would be 'nice' to have a compact, concise set of principles set out in a thread to which modellers could be referred, in practice it is likely to prove easier and more accurate for a modeller to say "this is my layout" and for those with the knowledge then to say "well, this is how to signal it". What might be useful would be to have a 'sticky' page about what facts we need the modeller to tell us at the outset when he asks the question "how do I signal this layout" - eg location, originating company, historical timeline, proposed operational concept and traffic patterns etc etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe I am correct in saying that in a not insignificant number of instances there may be more than one signalling solution as well.

Signalling could also vary significantly between regions and even districts within the same region. For example one region may have signalled every possible move, regardless of how infrequent some moves were made, whilst elsewhere the number of signals would have been kept to a minimum with many movements made under the authority of hand signals by the signalman (or others).

• RMweb Gold

I think in 11 (now 12) posts, we have just illustrated why signalling is seen as such a 'black art' by many modellers.

My own personal 'bible'. First read it over 30 years ago and I have thereafter always understood as much as I need to know for my modelling purposes:

attachicon.gifIMG_5567.JPG

Quite agree - it is an excellent source written by people (some of whom are not acknowledged by name anywhere in the book) with a largely signal engineering background but definitely including some who have a good understanding of railway operational matters as well (although as I not infrequently tell one of them, in jest, that he doesn't really know anything about operating and was just another signal engineer looking for a way out).  And it was kept up-to-date over the years by further revised editions (I have three in total) which picked up later changes.  In my view it is probably the best post war (that is the Great War incidentally) book to be read as a source document and primer covering British railway signalling and was always partially intended as a source for modellers.

But another good starter, particularly because of the easy style in which it is written as well as the information it contains, is L.T.C. Rolt's 'Red For Danger' which as it happens was the book that first got a young pre-teenage me really interested in signalling and operational safety.  Not at all a text book but potentially one to encourage interest and further exploration with the advantage nowadays of it being possible to find the most important areas of Rolt's source material, the official BoT/MoT Accident Reports, on the 'nret via The Railways Archive

Also an excellent guide, albeit dated but still useful, is 'The First Principles of Railway Signalling' by C.B. Byles when he was Signal Engineer of the LYR and which was published in 1910 - easy to read and a mine of other information (particularly on legislation - not everybody's cup of char of course).  

Another good source - although not ideal on its own for several reasons - is the GWR's booklet which was published for students taking 'Course of Instruction' (in respect of) 'Safe Working of Trains' (and) 'Appliances Used In Connection Therewith'.  I have the 1937 edition and it varied little over the years although by the late 1960s we were get a larger format spiral bound thing of photocopied pages instead of a bound soft cover typeset printed booklets, and by the early 1970s even the spiral bound thing had been replaced by weekly issue of a set of photocopied sheets (by then I was only taking the courses for the money and a  bit of competitive fun as the Cardiff Division and and our Chief Di were keen to fill the top places in the WR annual course examinations, which we did).

Sorry to rattle on but there are some good sources out there is you are interested and they can give you various ways of approaching the subject if you happen to think it is all too dry or far too complicated for you.  Actually it isn't really complicated at all - all the basic principles are pretty straightforward and, I think, easily understood.  But the ways in which they interact, plus those variations in practice mentioned by Chris ('Railwest') can make it complex

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

. Distant signal.  The first signal a driver sees when he is approaching a station (which for the purposes of this thread is an area of track between sections directly controlled by a signal box, and need not be a 'station' in the conventional sense at all).  It is a yellow signal with a black stripe in a fishtail shape.  It is intended as an advance warning to the driver that he may be required to stop at the next signal.  As such it is usually 440 yards before that signal.  If it is 'off', i.e. showing a clear aspect or a green light at night, the driver can assume that all the signals that apply to him on his train at the upcoming station are clear and he may pass through at line speed or the maximum speed of his train, whichever is less.  

Please be very carefull when describing distant signals because, in simple situations the distant signal does NOT simply tell the driver the state of the next stop signal.

Semaphore signalling uses different principles to colour lights, and according to the former, a green / off indication at a distant signal tells the driver ALL relevant stop signals worked by that box (which will usually be 2 at a minimum, but could easily get up to 4 / 5 depending on the layout) will be showing off.  If ANY  of the stop signals are 'on' then the distant will also stay 'on'.

Where distant signals are located below stop signals on the same structure, this is either due to signal boxes being close together with both their signals overlapping as it were, or at very busy stations where additional distant signals may facilitate higher approch speeds and thus increase train throughput - but even then, despite appearances, combined stop and distant signals still use semaphore signalling principles and not colour light principles.

Furthermore where certain routes may have speed restrictions compared to the main line (say into a loop) then the distant signal may not be able to be set to 'off' even if all stops signals are in fact set to 'off'

Fortunately given the distances involved, most modellers will not need to consider distant signals as they will need be located 'off screen' as it were.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

c1990 two of my colleagues were tasked with writing down a lot of the knowledge base within the office for training new entrants in signalling design. It ended up as a large volume but someone has scanned it and put it on the web. I would commend about the first nine sections to anyone who wants to learn some of the basic rules of the job as they were at that time.

http://dickthesignals.co.uk/home/heritage-signalling-information/brb-training-manual/index.html

I would also commend the course mentioned by Mike namely Safe Working of trains. I took the LMR course when I was a young lad in the Drawing Office so that I could understand the relationship between signalling and operating in how the railway worked. I think it ran for about 26 weeks in each of two years. Later I used a lot of the material in training exercises for signalling design staff.

• Like 2

Lucky to find a copy at the WSR last month for £2.00p!

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the recommendations on this thread

Just nabbed a copy for a fiver including postage off Amazon....

Others are available.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

c1990 two of my colleagues were tasked with writing down a lot of the knowledge base within the office for training new entrants in signalling design. It ended up as a large volume but someone has scanned it and put it on the web. I would commend about the first nine sections to anyone who wants to learn some of the basic rules of the job as they were at that time.

http://dickthesignals.co.uk/home/heritage-signalling-information/brb-training-manual/index.html

Thank you so much for that link.  I won't understand it all - but I will have many hours of happy reading!

I for one , understand the point the OP is trying to get across, and I think criticism of his post is a little too harsh ( in reality the primary glaring error was the siting distance of the distant , a number virtually irrelevant to most modellers)

I would agree with ( him ) , and based on the knowledge in my club for example , that very many modellers have little understanding of semaphore signalling , ( and even less understanding of more modern systems like TCB , MAS , etc )

Given most modellers do not in fact implement any " block system " , what's actually needed is a simple treatise on basic signalling , as it would apply to typical model railway layouts.

Hence many modellers need simple guidance on how to situate the home signal, the section starter etc , where advanced starters, and outer homes etc might be used and where to use junction signals etc. while I accept there are both regional
and timescale differences , this is not really of great concern to a modeller looking at implementing basic , realistic signalling for a model railway. Those modellers looking for prototypical authenticity are clearly not at this " basic " level of interest and will , one suspects, research this aspect themselves.

More advanced topics , could look at ,ground signals , subsiderary signals , especially calling on , etc. But again, in the context of the " average " railway modeller

Most layouts with attempts at signalling , fall down because of two things , incorrect siting of signals, rendering many impractical, or lack of understanding of how to operate signals , ( I use the term , " drive to signals " ) , so with semaphores etc , you have incorrect sequences of clearing stop signals , lack of understanding of how signals are used to " check " trains etc. ( a classic example is the belief that a platform starter is a method to stop trains at stations for example )

discussions about complex and esoteric signalling, the operation of the various block systems and more modern train control , are really lost on many modellers and while signalling aficionados, like myself , appreciate all the sutleties of this topic , most modellers have little or no interest at this level.

Edited by Junctionmad

• RMweb Premium

I for one , understand the point the OP is trying to get across, and I think criticism of his post is a little too harsh ( in reality the primary glaring error was the siting distance of the distant , a number virtually irrelevant to most modellers)

I definitely agree with the point of the post. It's all very well saying "post your layout and people in the know will be able to help", but some basic knowledge is still needed in order to really understand the reply, unless you just want "stick these signals here and there, and I'm not interested in making them operational". And it can also influence the design of the layout in the first place (along with numerous other factors). So I think the feedback should be in a more constructive manner than the "OP is wrong" - that sounds more like telling off. Then use that feedback from the experts to update the post.

Is there a decent railway wiki anywhere that could be used for this purpose? (although then it becomes just another site to search through amongst many)

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1

As someone who has been professionally engaged in the signal engineering trade for 43 years (Retirement looms Dec 31st, yippee) I can heartily endorse this book. It is what I have pointed all the trainees who have passed my way for many a year at.

I used to lend them my copy until one little b*****d absconded without returning it

Tim T

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1