Not Jeremy

Not really discussed P. More look at the MRJ threads if you need a reason to not bother

(I must add, exposure to those threads myself meant I was only a lurker for several years, it's much better since I actually signed up properly and have the new posts button :) )

Well, they were clearly not looking hard enough to find the good stuff on this forum.

As always, things quoted out of context can be misconstrued.....

I've read 'pointed' complaints on a few other forums and quotes showing how silly RMweb gets but when one reads the whole RM thread it tends to all make sense.... Sometimes.

TFIC.

Dave.

• Like 1

I've read 'pointed' complaints on a few other forums and quotes showing how silly RMweb gets but when one reads the whole RM thread it tends to all make sense.... Sometimes.

So I'd better not mention modelling lamposts then. Having said that I know I will be seeing some rather exquisitely modelled examples this weekend.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Nothing like a nice glass of Highbridge, eh?

A glass of what ever takes your fancy - here's the menu -  I think I'll have a nice 'thing whatsoever'! So good that even the 'Collector of tolls' is Lush.

This is a reconstruction of the quayside notice.

post-14351-0-93600300-1504789706_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

Picked up a copy from the Wild Swan stand at Guildex last Sunday, but not got round to reading it until today, where MRJ257 has joined me for my day as Abergynolwyn Blockman.

post-11098-0-32198800-1504790054_thumb.jpg

Highlights being the articles on the Victory Cafe, the Herring wagons (educational, having seen photos of the wagons on the old Tanat Valley, I now know what they are.) A healthy letters page and Mr Kazer's exquisite Talyllyn carriages, my reading interrupted by the real ones going past the window!

post-11098-0-98194100-1504790230_thumb.jpg

Should I finish MRJ before it's time to close up, my Rules & Regs folder is a handy size for containing some additional reading...

post-11098-0-16242700-1504790421_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 12

This is an update to my comment on the very unserious MRJ 253 thread about BA not supplying complementary MRJ on its Middle East routes. We discovered that Cathay Pacific also did not supply aforementioned mag and that the first bus to Morley was also lacking in interesting reading.

However this was recently seen in the posh seats on Qatar Airways

So all that nasty stuff that the Saudis have been saying about the Qataris is obviously rubbish.

post-2017-0-84972800-1504897297_thumb.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This is an update to my comment on the very unserious MRJ 253 thread about BA not supplying complementary MRJ on its Middle East routes. We discovered that Cathay Pacific also did not supply aforementioned mag and that the first bus to Morley was also lacking in interesting reading.

However this was recently seen in the posh seats on Qatar Airways

So all that nasty stuff that the Saudis have been saying about the Qataris is obviously rubbish.

My twenty-year long-haul allegiance with Virgin Atlantic is over. I'm talking to our travel people first thing on Monday morning!

I must admit that as a subscriber for the entire period of MRJ's existence (and I bought No. 0 when it came out too!) I do get a bit cross that it doesn't get posted out until well after it's already in the shops - by which time there's already quite a bit of information online about what's in it! When it finally gets shoved through the door I feel I've already read it!

More seriously, doing it this way round seems simply unprofessional, and is certainly lacking in gratitude to those who've put their money on the line long before they have a clue what's on the menu for the next twelve months. It's that safely banked cash up-front that pays for much of what happens during the year, after all.

Please fix it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that as a subscriber for the entire period of MRJ's existence (and I bought No. 0 when it came out too!) I do get a bit cross that it doesn't get posted out until well after it's already in the shops - by which time there's already quite a bit of information online about what's in it! When it finally gets shoved through the door I feel I've already read it!

More seriously, doing it this way round seems simply unprofessional, and is certainly lacking in gratitude to those who've put their money on the line long before they have a clue what's on the menu for the next twelve months. It's that safely banked cash up-front that pays for much of what happens during the year, after all.

Please fix it!

In their defence, I think it's because for the "mass market" publications, the subs issues are bagged and dispatched direct from the printers, and so get to the subscribers before the magazine gets to the shops. With MRJ, the subs copies go back to Cygnet for packing and despatch and so tend to get posted a bit later. I know what you mean - but then I decided that in the overall scheme of things I probably had bigger things to worry about, and it always comes as a pleasant surprise when it drops through the letter box.

And, of course, things could be worse - you could be a GWRJ subscriber...

To more important matters - and at the risk of making somebody grumpy - my subs copy arrived this morning, together with my renewal notice. So it is time to write literally the only cheque I write each year....

It has hit Ealing WHS, but now occupies a different shelf, next to the last two copies of GWRJ 102.

Picked up my copy of 257 yesterday from my local Purveyor, where it enjoyed a similar relationship to a couple of copies of GWRJ 102.  The railway mags at this particular establishment are all "Top Shelf" and a reach for a tall person.  Its no wonder that youngsters aren't so interested in the hobby, when they see furtive older men scanning the top shelf, then snatching a magazine and scurrying away to the counter to pay...

And, of course, things could be worse - you could be a GWRJ subscriber...

Its a double whammy for the GWRJ subscriber, not only is/was the magazine perennially late, but this last late copy is the last, so no more carping that its late.

After it arrives, of course!  :jester:

(Edit for the traditional spelin mistake...)

Edited by Hroth