New Bachmann Web Site

richierich

When I scrolled down it is still descibed as a 'temporary' website until the new one is available later this year. That's IT promises all over 'better later'!

My advice to Mr Haarhus: your previous site was really simple and easy to use and a great advertisement for your business. Reinstate it, and don't permit change until shown something better and fully working.

All the lists are there now, we're back in business

Bit more work required on the listings - the pictures aren't auto-zooming on Chrome and there are some odd words like 'Admin' scattered on the pages.

There is a 99 page list of stock availability - not the most useful format but it's something.

Edited by woodenhead

So before the availability was next to the product, now we have to open a 99 page PDF list, remember the product code and find it.

This is not an improvement. Whoever signed off on this....give yourself a bit of a slap.

Well that's annoying - the GWR livery Collett I want has an 'out of stock' label rather then expected date - I've been waiting ages for this particular model and thought it can't be far away when it's BR brother turned up at Christmas.

The very same thing has just come to my attention, resulting in me doing a sudden "panic buy" via a retailers pre-order button.

Whilst I can't help feeling it is a misprint, it is perfectly possible that retailer's demand for stock on the shelves has eaten up the production run. They may therefore be sold out as far as Bachmann are concerned, but it would not be impossible to pluck one from a model shop for a few months yet.

So before the availability was next to the product, now we have to open a 99 page PDF list, remember the product code and find it.

This is not an improvement. Whoever signed off on this....give yourself a bit of a slap.

And, it appears that you can no longer sort by era. Whoever signed off on this can jump of a cliff, after having slapped themselves, of course.

• RMweb Premium

As others have said, not being able to sort by era, no easy availability etc. is certainly a backward step, although the individual product displays are perhaps a little clearer?

One of the things I liked about the old website was that it was much easier to navigate than the Hornby one. The new one seems to me to have acquired many of the latter's deficiencies.  :umbrage:

If it ain’t broke, break it!

It isn’t a bad site; the trouble is that the old site was so much better. PMP99 sums it up well. On the old site, we could scroll down all the entries under a particular heading. Now we have to dig through several screens.

I dare say that, in time, the boobs will be spotted and tidied up (009 runs on 00 track, does it?)

Please, Bachmann, go back to an easy-to-navigate, informative site.

Whilst I can't help feeling it is a misprint, it is perfectly possible that retailer's demand for stock on the shelves has eaten up the production run. They may therefore be sold out as far as Bachmann are concerned, but it would not be impossible to pluck one from a model shop for a few months yet.

The availability indication on the web site has always been on respect of Bachmanns stock rather than what is on a model shop shelf.

I'm sure it's not finished yet, chill.

Exactly. It says as much on the website.

This is a temporary website whilst we work towards our new website which is due later this year.

But it seems some like drama as much as that Channel 5 documentary on the NYMR. 

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Premium

I have to agree the Products pages are awful. Default is presumably alphabetical, but that’s silly if the product names all start with Branchline. And what we are used to, and probably makes most sense to group all versions of a model together, i.e. by catalogue number is not available.

Hopefully such issues will be rethought and changes made.

• RMweb Premium

In fairness to Bachmann, I overlooked it still said it was a temporary website so hopefully much better is to come.

However, still somewhat surprised that they would develop and switch to a somewhat inferior 'interim' website whilst the new one is being developed.

I'm sure it's not finished yet, chill.

Of course it’s not finished and it is, after all, only a website. But Bachmann’s strategy on this is somewhat bizarre. They had a functional, albeit dated, site that they replaced with little more than a holding page. They then replaced that with a half baked temporary site.

The old site really did need updating, there’s no doubt in my mind. But there are ways of going about it, and then there’s this.

Was not the old site done by a web design company for Bachmann. The current temporary site does not appear to have any third party named. Possibly the contract ended or the third party ceased to trade.

Its the price of the Bachmann 03 that has stumped me - £125, crikey, I suddenly have £375 worth of models that only cost around £130. Seriously though I wonder what the increasing prices across the board from all manufacturers are going to do for exhibitions as exhibitors start quoting higher layout values.

Edited by Butler Henderson

The point about availability was valid.

Because you could see what was sold out at the barwell warehouse easily, and as such, knew if it was worth asking your local model shop to order something in or not