Gauge O Guild Kettering Show 2018

MarcD

• RMweb Premium

Naturally the G0G welcomes anyone with an interest in 7mm scale modelling to join, that way you get direct access to the latest event & other info, plus discounts on event entry & other benefits, eg minibus from station to venue. Join on the day and you get the discount.

Economists describe people that use the benefits paid for by others as 'free riders', nothing wrong with that but it doesn't really give them the right to criticize an organisation they don't support.....

Travel safely if you go to Kettering.

Dava

With that attitude I also will now not make the effort to attend.

Eltel

• Like 1

Unfortunately I feel it is a little foolish for the Guild to continue with this show, even though weather conditions in the area are deteriorating and weather and travel warnings are in place. Whilst I know we are all adults and free to make decisions, no doubt anyone travelling who runs into trouble will expect assistance from a relevant emergency service, taking them away from people who for no fault of their own need their assistance such as health or other emergencies that are not weather related.

Edited by vaughan45

• RMweb Gold

Naturally the G0G welcomes anyone with an interest in 7mm scale modelling to join, that way you get direct access to the latest event & other info, plus discounts on event entry & other benefits, eg minibus from station to venue. Join on the day and you get the discount.

Economists describe people that use the benefits paid for by others as 'free riders', nothing wrong with that but it doesn't really give them the right to criticize an organisation they don't support.....

Travel safely if you go to Kettering.

Dava

So someone who pays double to get in is a “free rider”?!?

I remember now why I was only a member of the guild for a couple of years, (much preferred MIGO)

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I feel it is a little foolish for the Guild to continue with this show, even though weather conditions in the area are deteriorating and weather and travel warnings are in place. Whilst I know we are all adults and free to make decisions, no doubt anyone travelling who runs into trouble will expect assistance from a relevant emergency service, taking them away from people who for no fault of their own need their assistance such as health or other emergencies that are not weather related.

I'd hazard a guess that if the GOG cancel the show then they have to refund the exhibitors etc.  However, if the exhibitor fails to turn up then they carry the cost.

• RMweb Premium

When I went onto the Guild website first thing this morning, there was a scrolling banner across the top of the home page saying that the show would be going ahead. Presume you missed that?

Andrew

Yup, still missing it as I went straight to the events page (from a Google Search result) where news about the show was likely to be...

post-6675-0-57982400-1520017229_thumb.jpg

My post at that time was actually a positive comment to let folk know that that particular page had been updated.

• RMweb Gold

The official list is out of date again as looking at the latest G0G forum, more traders are having to pull out of attending.

I can sympathise with Spams' comments about committee members.  Having had to put up with their attitude. They really can be right *nobheads.

So I volunteered to join a committee,  and once accepted was determined to redress the balance.

Then I found out that in fact, it was the ordinary members and ex members were the *nobheads.

When I went onto the Guild website first thing this morning, there was a scrolling banner across the top of the home page saying that the show would be going ahead. Presume you missed that?

Andrew

That update was added this morning and only appears on the full site, not the mobile phone version!!

• RMweb Premium

I'd hazard a guess that if the GOG cancel the show then they have to refund the exhibitors etc.  However, if the exhibitor fails to turn up then they carry the cost.

Any club who organise exhibitions take the same risks if the weather turns against them.

By making a early decision to cancel a exhibition can help save some costs, Van Hire, Fuel of Exhibitiors and possibly Exhibition Insurance (at least 48 hours)

Although you will almost certainly have to pay Hall Hire, Advertising and Exhibitor Accommodation costs (depending on particular hotel deals you have)

I would hope a organisation such as the O Gauge Guild take out bad weather insurance to cover some of the costs.

Eltel

• RMweb Premium

The official list is out of date again as looking at the latest G0G forum, more traders are having to pull out of attending.

I can sympathise with Spams' comments about committee members.  Having had to put up with their attitude. They really can be right *nobheads.

So I volunteered to join a committee,  and once accepted was determined to redress the balance.

Then I found out that in fact, it was the ordinary members and ex members were the *nobheads.

Well done that man.

I must say I've had a great deal of help and assistance from 7mm folk on here and many in the 7mm trade, many of whom are also in the Guild. I am very grateful to these helpful, down to earth folk who are a credit to the hobby.

Unfortunately it does seem that a minority of members seem to think having a Guild card in their pocket makes them god's gift to modelling and highly superior to lesser mortals.

Like yourself I've witnessed some appalling behaviour at Guild trade shows from some of these 'gods'. I don't think they realise how much damage they do to the Guild, its reputation and membership numbers.

• RMweb Premium

Any club, group or society seems to have the full range of characters from the decent ones who are helpful and considerate to the downright unpleasant. That goes for everything from the people running it to the general membership, with people feeling that if things are not done the way they think it should be done, then it must be wrong.

The GOG is not exempt but in the big scheme of things, where would modelling in 7mm be without them and the work they did when the gauge was all but extinct?

I usually cut such organisations some slack nowadays. After all, the people who run it put in lots of work for little reward. If people don't like how it is run, apply for the jobs and show us all how much better you could do it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have been a member of the GOG for a few years now and I have always been proud of the assistance that the railway community has given me in answering any questions that I pose.... 

What doesn't help is when you get a person whom makes no bones that they "may be" representing the GOG and stating that some enthusiasts are no more than "free loaders" .......

We are all on these websites because we all have one love..... Model Railways

Dava, You could have voiced your opinion(s) a little be better but your actions have left a lot of enthusiasts whom may have joined the GOG now to seek an alternative.

Personally, I will not be attending the show tomorrow and this is not due to the weather nor will I be renewing my membership to the GOG ..... Attitudes need to change

I wonder if the GOG members that have pre-purchased their advanced tickets and are unable to attend the show ..... Will GOG allow these tickets to be used at another GOG event?

• Like 2

So is there a list of traders who are definitely there? Surely every trader who is going to be there knows by now and/or is there?

There is list on the public area of the Gauge O Guild website, but it is already incorrect as a number of traders on the list have stated in the Guild's members forum that they are not attending. Others who are travelling tomorrow, are waiting to see what the weather conditions are before deciding and some of those attending have indicated they are bringing reduced stock.

Hopefully the Guild will post an accurate list before opening time tomorrow, but I am not holding my breath. The latest cancellation is the Scale 7 Group.

Edited by vaughan45

Having just "popped" over to the GOG forum I left feeling quite disgusted by the decision to carry on with the show.

As has been mentioned regarding all warnings which have been in place for several days prior to the event, and the possible extra load on any vital emergency services, I have to state my utter disgust with the organising committee in taking what I consider to be a selfish decision under the current circumstances.

It's only bl@@dy model trains after all !!!!!

• Like 2

We have got as far as Wellingborough and the hotel. Biggest problem was the idiots who can't drive in snow and the hotel car park had 4 inches of snow on it. Might have to dig ourselves out in the morning.

I half expect the show to be knocked on the head in the morning.

Marc

However, if the exhibitor fails to turn up then they carry the cost.

Nail hit on head.

I would hope a organisation such as the O Gauge Guild take out bad weather insurance to cover some of the costs.

I wouldn't know if that is the case but they have sufficient money in the bank to cover any costs; but is that fair use of guild members contributions?

Plenty of clubs have taken sensible decisions based on available information as the week has progressed. The guild will have had the same information available to them but have chosen to take a different course. Guild events income is mainly trade rents rather than admissions. Non-freeriders admissions in particular do not make up the major part of revenue.

I think the sensible traders may be the ones who have cancelled and literally cut their losses but I will feel very sorry for any traders who have incurred the full costs of travel and accommodation and get a last minute cancellation or reduced attendance and hence sales as thanks for their efforts. The decision to press ahead begins to look a very selfish one at that point.

I have been a freerider who has paid the higher price to several shows but if that is a society attitude rather than an individual one it won't be a surprise to see fewer freeriders at future events, self included.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes to those traders that have made it to the show and safe journeys wished to all those travelling. Our area is like a cross between an ice rink and a bobsleigh run. Motorways seem OK though.

This list of traders attending was published at 8:10am in the members area of the Guild forum. Those that have already arrived are shown as 'here'. This has been posted here for the benefit on non-Guild members who may be thinking of attending.

Helmsman Model Rail- Here -
Mercian -
Dapol Ltd - here -
Hobby Holidays - here
TMS Models - here -

Marcway -
Steamline Ltd - here
Squires Model and Craft Tools - here -
Eileen's Emporium - here
Skytrex (2013) Ltd - here
Finescale Brass (UK) Ltd - here
Ellis Clark Trains - here

MSC Models Ltd -
Megapoints Controllers - here -
Meteor Models -
Ken's Profiles -
CPL Products -
SBT Developments - here -
B.D.Coutts - here -
Walsall Model Industries - here -
Airframed Glass Display Cases - here -

Masterpiece Models -
Midland Railway Centre - here -
Finney 7 - here -

M & J Models -
D & S Models -
Ragstone Models - here -
ALSRM -
Ian Kirk -
L Cut Creative - here -
Parliamentary Trains -
Furness Wagon Company / Pre-grouping Railways - here -
Duncan Models - here -
Premier Components - here -

Peter Cowling -
SM Models -
Brian & Martin's Goodies -
HMRS -
Midland Railway Society -
Made in Manchester Models -
Buzz Models -
Northants Model Railway Supplies -
Walsworth Models -

• RMweb Premium

In

I have been a member of the GOG for a few years now and I have always been proud of the assistance that the railway community has given me in answering any questions that I pose....

What doesn't help is when you get a person whom makes no bones that they "may be" representing the GOG and stating that some enthusiasts are no more than "free loaders" .......

We are all on these websites because we all have one love..... Model Railways

Dava, You could have voiced your opinion(s) a little be better but your actions have left a lot of enthusiasts whom may have joined the GOG now to seek an alternative.

Personally, I will not be attending the show tomorrow and this is not due to the weather nor will I be renewing my membership to the GOG ..... Attitudes need to change

I wonder if the GOG members that have pre-purchased their advanced tickets and are unable to attend the show ..... Will GOG allow these tickets to be used at another GOG event?

To summarise 'Free rider gate'...

Post 40: Dava who judging by the informative and instructive first paragraph of the post is either part of the exhibition or society management team 'implies' that the non members are free riders.

In basic terms the society are making a contract with the visitors, they are making an offer to the non members (for this £x.xx you can come to our exhibition and if anyone out there is still going and they 'accept the offer' / pay that money the contract is complete). No free riding..

From that point onwards, judging by the replies to this post, 8 people were offended by Dava's statement and that includes current and ex members.

For a while I thought we would see an apology or an explanation either from Dava or an official within the GOG. A retraction, a 'sorry I didn't mean it like that, maybe a 'please ignore him he does not represent the group, that sort of thing could save the day. probably still could.

Then about six hours later it came, a response from a self confirmed GOG committee member happy hippo

No apology

No explanation

No retraction

But a comment that ex members and ordinary members are nobheads (I don't like the choice of the word ordinary when describing the members, ordinary as apposed to ?) anyway..

Its a pity that this exhibition will be remembered for the snow rather than the year Dava insulted non member exhibition attendees.

I wish anyone who goes (regardless of how much they paid), any exhibitor or trader that gets through the snow all they very best

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, didn't realise it was as few (23) as that left standing (brave souls). Just had a look at the original show guide, it had 92 traders listed.

post-6675-0-72521700-1520067387_thumb.jpg

Certainly supports the views others have expressed that the show should have been cancelled.

Out of interest are the Guild still charging full entrance fee?

Good grief, didn't realise it was as few (23) as that left standing (brave souls). Just had a look at the original show guide, it had 92 traders listed.

attachicon.gifrps20180303_085408.jpg

Certainly supports the views others have expressed that the show should have been cancelled.

Out of interest are the Guild still charging full entrance fee?

I think they are still expecting the ones that are not in bold type, so there may be more than 23 by the time the show opens. Although, even if all those on the list do attend it is still only 43 of the guide list.

Edited by vaughan45

• RMweb Premium

I think they are still expecting the ones that are not in bold type, so there may well be more than 23 by the time the show opens.

A maximum of 44 out of 92. Going to be quite an empty hall, particularly as a number of the cancellations normally have quite lengthy stalls. Enough spare room for a traders 5-a-side later?