Gauge O Guild Kettering Show 2018

MarcD

... other than the quarterly Gazette and reduced exhibition entrance charges for Guild events, I'm not sure what the other benefits are.

That's why I'm not a member. The only event that's a "must go" for me is Telford; the cost of membership is more than the 'Free riders' ticket cost, which if used with family or for two days isn't too bad anyway.

At the first Telford I went to, I did join the Guild, & got the discounted entry. I was less than impressed to receive renewal requests the following March; in other words my full price membership had actually only lasted for 6 months.

As a modeller primarily of 1:48 scale American outline, most of the Guild's information and 'benefits' are totally irelevant to me anyway.

Edited by F-UnitMad

You will by the GOG Home Guard...... their the ones with the blinkers.... :stinker:

Ah, so that's why most of their forum members are known by surname & membership number - I'm Farrer22082, Private third class. I would tell you more, but having signed the Official Secrets Act many years ago, name, rank and number is all I can give.  :sungum:  :sungum:

Edited by vaughan45

Ah, so that's why most of their forum members are known by surname & membership number - I'm Farrer22082, Private third class. I would tell you more, but having signed the Official Secrets Act many years ago, name, rank and number is all I can give.  :sungum:  :sungum:

Stupid Boy! You've given them your name Pike :laugh:

Bit of a farce really - I only went as I live round the corner. £10 to see a very small number of traders most of whom brought little stock. Almost no one there and it was scheduled to close shortly after lunch. At least make the admission free if you are going to put on a joke like this.

Why would anyone join the society after this and the rude comments about freeloaders?

O gauge is becoming more popular and we desperately need a scale society living in the twenty-first century.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a farce really - I only went as I live round the corner. £10 to see a very small number of traders most of whom brought little stock. Almost no one there and it was scheduled to close shortly after lunch. At least make the admission free if you are going to put on a joke like this.

Why would anyone join the society after this and the rude comments about freeloaders?

O gauge is becoming more popular and we desperately need a scale society living in the twenty-first century.

Why don't you start one then and show us all how much better you could do?

When you look at the average age of people in the hobby, probably even more when it crimes to 7mm modelling, I am not sure if 21st century methods would appeal greatly.

All you would need to find are a bunch of modern minded people who don't mind giving up big chunks of their time to run it and who have thick enough skins to take the flak which will undoubtedly come their way from people who think they could do it better.

• Like 1

Why don't you start one then and show us all how much better you could do?

When you look at the average age of people in the hobby, probably even more when it crimes to 7mm modelling, I am not sure if 21st century methods would appeal greatly.

All you would need to find are a bunch of modern minded people who don't mind giving up big chunks of their time to run it and who have thick enough skins to take the flak which will undoubtedly come their way from people who think they could do it better.

The issue here is not about the organisation of the show, which had the weather not intervened would have been excellent, as it has been in previous years. 

The issues are about communication particularly with non-guild members, the attitude of some Guild members towards non-member potential visitors and primarily the apparent failure of the organisers to take account correctly of the weather and travel advice that was being given both nationally and at a local level. What appears to be a lack of contingency planning is also of concern, particularly what seems to the shifting of risk and decision making from the Guild to those attending, which as this is billed as a trade show, is primarily the traders. 

Edited by vaughan45

I used to organise professional conferences and exhibitions when I was in my 30s. If I'd presided over a farce like this I would have been sacked.

The problem is that I don't think the Guild want new people involved - that's certainly the impression I have been left with.

I used to organise professional conferences and exhibitions when I was in my 30s. If I'd presided over a farce like this I would have been sacked.

The problem is that I don't think the Guild want new people involved - that's certainly the impression I have been left with.

On the Guilds forum anyone who is in any way critical of todays events is being 'slapped down' by those who perceive themselves as senior. Even a suggestion that someone independent of the hierarchy should review what has occurred appears to have been rejected by the ruling junta, so I suspect you are right.

Edited by vaughan45

Reading Eltel's comments insurance could have covered this and allowed a cancellation in the middle of the week.

Lots of events have been cancelled this weekend not just model trains because it is the sensible thing to do, the roads may be better than they were a couple of days ago but perhaps we all need to have a weekend in, let the emergency services get a rest, let the roads unfreeze, the snow melt and not add to the traffic.

I went shopping earlier, I live in Manchester, the worst I've had this week has been the freezing gales but our local supermarkets are under stocked because supply chains have been disrupted, that tells me all I need to know about the state of the roads outside the city.

• RMweb Premium

On the Guilds forum anyone who is in any way critical of todays events is being 'slapped down' by those who perceive themselves as senior. Even a suggestion that someone independent of the hierarchy should review what has occurred appears to have been rejected by the ruling junta, so I suspect you are right.

That's exactly the way to learn from mistakes, encourage people to contribute and generate new members. 

• RMweb Premium

If the show was due to be open until 4pm and they closed it early, doesn't that equate to breach of contract with the paying public?  Perhaps partial refunds may be in order ;)

When I first joined the Guild I had the impression it was for all 0 gauge modellers steam or diesel but soon realised if I modelled steam I fitted in diesel not it seemed like I was joining the masons so I did not renew my membership if you don't want non members to come then advertise it as members only like I said in my other post I will not be going to any others.t-b-g the comment you put it's the in thing if you can do better you do it childish comes to mind all it needs is the Guild to wake up things have changed there is younger people doing 0 gauge and not everyone likes steam.onto the weather it was predicted to be bad all other Exhibitions cancelled so no excuse you put other people's lives at risk just for the Guild can have half day.

Steve

• Like 2

Seems to be warming up in here !

post-20303-0-29703800-1520093832.jpg

Excuse me whilst I turn the heating off and let some steam into the room from my laptop  :O

• RMweb Premium

When I first joined the Guild I had the impression it was for all 0 gauge modellers steam or diesel but soon realised if I modelled steam I fitted in diesel not it seemed like I was joining the masons so I did not renew my membership if you don't want non members to come then advertise it as members only like I said in my other post I will not be going to any others.t-b-g the comment you put it's the in thing if you can do better you do it childish comes to mind all it needs is the Guild to wake up things have changed there is younger people doing 0 gauge and not everyone likes steam.onto the weather it was predicted to be bad all other Exhibitions cancelled so no excuse you put other people's lives at risk just for the Guild can have half day.

Steve

I'm sorry but I can't tell what you are trying to say. I joined the GOG fairly recently. I find their publications and events excellent and I have seen nothing myself of this military style dictatorship that others see. Please explain exactly what happened to you to make you think that you are only welcome if you model steam. If you make statements like that you should be willing to back them up.

The people running the guild are volunteers who give up what must be a big chunk of their free time to do it. For which I am grateful.

There are lots of things in this world that I don't like. Including some within the hobby. I just feel that as it is a hobby and the people involved are doing it for the good of the hobby. I will always cut them some slack on the grounds that if I think it could be done better but I am not willing to have a go myself, then moaning about it in public is just that, moaning!

• Like 1

I can't comment on the feelings of other traders. But we would have lost less money if we hadn't turned up.

We were thanked by both the trade manager and trade secretary and given lunch vouchers.

We can't suffer this level of loss again so we are going to look into insurance for such occasions.

Marc

Sorry but just because you are a volunteer doesn't mean that you don't have legal and contractual responsibilities - or that you are immune to criticism. I've been a local councillor and secretary of a local football club - and had plenty of flak on both occasions!

If unwise decisions are taken by people in authority they need to be held accountable - the fact they are volunteers is irrelevant.

When I first joined the Guild I had the impression it was for all 0 gauge modellers steam or diesel but soon realised if I modelled steam I fitted in diesel not i

Steve

Only today on another forum a Guild member was complaining that a diesel was running on the test track at Kettering.

In fairness to the organisers of that show they had no choice as the school campus they use was closed from Friday until Monday by those that manage it.

With regard to Kettering Leisure Village, it would have been interesting to see what happened if the leisure centre had been unable to muster the necessary level of staff to open to the public this morning - although I suppose that would have allowed the Guild to claim redress against the operators and re-coup their costs instead of effectively passing these on to the traders who were unable to attend. Whilst I am aware that traders are a commercial enterprise whose aim is to make a profit, many are cottage industries and any loss will possibly impact on funds available to develop products for modellers,

If only it were as simple as waiting for somebody else to make your mind up for you.

Please read the following summary of the way the decision was made.

A Winter’s Tale from a Warwickshire Exhibition Manager

As the cancellation of Leamington exhibition has been referenced by contributors to this thread without the benefit of the facts here is a brief summary of how we arrived at the decision to cancel.

Weather forecasts early in the week suggested that the south midlands would miss the worst of the snow and we were confident that the show would be able to go ahead. We carefully monitored the local forecasts throughout Thursday and they changed frequently. A Weather Watch bulletin was posted on our website.

We started to collect information from exhibitors’ and traders about journey prospects. Very rapidly it was obvious that those travelling from the south and west were unlikely to be able to make the trip safely with red and amber alerts posted for that area. Heavy snow was now forecast to fall in south Warwickshire throughout the day on Friday. Withdrawals started to come in and were immediately posted on the web site.

It starting snowing heavily approximately 15:30 Thursday afternoon. Road conditions deteriorated rapidly. We started to receive phone calls and more withdrawals. At about 18:00 the amber alert area extended north to include the south and west midlands and the red zone moved in our direction. A conference call was booked with the key exhibition organisers for 19:30. Heavy snow continued, the list of withdrawals was also growing. The consensus view of exhibition team was that if would be unsafe to continue, but the insurance cover should be checked and senior Board members involved in the final decision. A further conference call involving Board members was booked for 20:30. The Exhibition Manager received notification at 20:15 from the College Estates team that the site would be closed on Friday which confirmed that the decision, already taken to cancel the show. was the right one. The 20:30 conference call was now just a formality to advise the Society Management Board.

The website was immediately updated, e-mail cancellation notices were sent out by 21:45, phone calls were made and text messages sent to ensure all exhibitors were aware of the situation by 22:45.

While all of the above was going on members trying to get to the club on Thursday evening failed and those at the club preparing Kimble for transport the following morning reported severe difficulties with their journeys home. On Friday morning we received a report of 6 foot deep snow drifts blocking all roads around the club. The decision taken purely on safety grounds to cancel the exhibition was clearly the right one.

It's never easy to take such a decision and the safety of all involved over-rules everything else, after all it's only a model railway exhibition! We want to be able to welcome everybody again in 2019.

If only it were as simple as waiting for somebody else to make your mind up for you.

As the cancellation of Leamington exhibition has been referenced by contributors to this thread without the benefit of the facts here is a brief summary of how we arrived at the decision to cancel.

Weather forecasts early in the week suggested that the south midlands would miss the worst of the snow and we were confident that the show would be able to go ahead. We carefully monitored the local forecasts throughout Thursday and they changed frequently. A Weather Watch bulletin was posted on our website.

We started to collect information from exhibitors’ and traders about journey prospects. Very rapidly it was obvious that those travelling from the south and west were unlikely to be able to make the trip safely with red and amber alerts posted for that area. Heavy snow was now forecast to fall in south Warwickshire throughout the day on Friday. Withdrawals started to come in and were immediately posted on the web site.

It starting snowing heavily approximately 15:30 Thursday afternoon. Road conditions deteriorated rapidly. We started to receive phone calls and more withdrawals. At about 18:00 the amber alert area extended north to include the south and west midlands and the red zone moved in our direction. A conference call was booked with the key exhibition organisers for 19:30. Heavy snow continued, the list of withdrawals was also growing. The consensus view of exhibition team was that if would be unsafe to continue, but the insurance cover should be checked and senior Board members involved in the final decision. A further conference call involving Board members was booked for 20:30. The Exhibition Manager received notification at 20:15 from the College Estates team that the site would be closed on Friday which confirmed that the decision, already taken to cancel the show. was the right one. The 20:30 conference call was now just a formality to advise the Society Management Board.

The website was immediately updated, e-mail cancellation notices were sent out by 21:45, phone calls were made and text messages sent to ensure all exhibitors were aware of the situation by 22:45.

While all of the above was going on members trying to get to the club on Thursday evening failed and those at the club preparing Kimble for transport the following morning reported severe difficulties with their journeys home. On Friday morning we received a report of 6 foot deep snow drifts blocking all roads around the club. The decision taken purely on safety grounds to cancel the exhibition was clearly the right one.

It's never easy to take such a decision and the safety of all involved over-rules everything else, after all it's only a model railway exhibition! We want to be able to welcome everybody again in 2019.

Please accept my apologies for not crediting the source of the information  - the information was obtained from your exhibition thread on this forum and also the announcement on Phil Parkers daily blog which made specific reference to the campus being closed by the College Estates team, it is useful to see behind the scenes on how such decisions are made and was being used as an example of a good decision making process.

Edited by vaughan45

Only today on another forum a Guild member was complaining that a diesel was running on the test track at Kettering.

That could have been me, I mentioned a hideous purple class 37 was running!! Wasn't complaining about the fact that there was a diesel running, there was a Heljan 128 dpu too, just the fact that in my opinion it wasn't a good example of a cls 37 diesel, there was a very nice brass duchess running too!!

As the cancellation of Leamington exhibition has been referenced by contributors to this thread without the benefit of the facts ....

I don't think the cancellation of the Leamington Show was brought up on this Thread with any kind of negative connotations to it? If anything - quite the reverse; it was seen as a sensible decision to take, and your full post is quite comprehensive and understandable in the reasons why that decision was taken, and how well it was handled.

In contrast, the attitude that I seem to get from Kettering was "There's no snow right here, we'll carry on regardless", indeed, with no regard for how far Traders and visitors may have to travel to get there. Maybe they overlooked the fact that the target audience, as well as the Traders, would potentially be travelling from further than people usually do for a normal, 'local' model railway show.