Gauge O Guild Kettering Show 2018

MarcD

A 300 mile round trip for me, hardly a day out distance.  As for those in the south west, well...

Also the same, and further, for those in the North east, Scotland, North west,South Wales and a lot of the rest of the country. Why are most of the complaints we get from the south, Same happens in the 7mm NGA too.

Also the same, and further, for those in the North east, Scotland, North west,South Wales and a lot of the rest of the country. Why are most of the complaints we get from the south, Same happens in the 7mm NGA too.

Maybe because the south is ill-supported by events by "national" organisations, despite being the most populated part of the UK.  

• RMweb Gold

Maybe because the south is ill-supported by events by "national" organisations, despite being the most populated part of the UK.  

Population isn't everything! It is also about making sure that people can get there from across the UK.

NGS and 2mm SA move around the country.

DEMU has Showcase in Burton-on-Trent

The Scalefour Society has Scaleforum in Aylesbury in the SE along with shows in the SW and Wakefield

EMGS has shows in Bracknell (ie SE) and Manchester

So the South is hardly poorly served!

• Like 1

Population isn't everything! It is also about making sure that people can get there from across the UK.

NGS and 2mm SA move around the country.

DEMU has Showcase in Burton-on-Trent

The Scalefour Society has Scaleforum in Aylesbury in the SE along with shows in the SW and Wakefield

EMGS has shows in Bracknell (ie SE) and Manchester

So the South is hardly poorly served!

Yet the Guild insist on Kettering, Telford and Cleckheaton (if I remember correctly), nothing in the south except for the Reading trade show which I have attended - and it's not a Guild show.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting if you look at a map of England and plot Cleckheaton, Telford, Kettering, Bristol and Reading on it, there's a fairly good, evenly distributed coverage of events. Not everyone can possibly have a local 7mm show in their area, and not every location has suitable venues/prices/availability. You'll never please everybody with locations and dates. Would be interesting though to know how/why Telford came to be chosen for the big two-day show.

• RMweb Gold

Yet the Guild insist on Kettering, Telford and Cleckheaton (if I remember correctly), nothing in the south except for the Reading trade show which I have attended - and it's not a Guild show.

I can understand those in the south thinking the venues are a long way to travel to.

I am an 0 gauge Guild member, for me the distances from Northumberland are:

To Kettering  222 miles

To Telford 228 miles

To Cleckheaton 126 miles

Without wanting to enter into a "battle of distances" Hampshire (and the other counties north and south of London) is a lot closer to both Kettering and Telford than I am.

Then there are those who live in Scotland who might want to attend events.

I know that there are more people in the south, but it depends on what you mean by "south" in terms of travelling distance and time.

By the way, I used to live in Essex, if I still lived there I might think Telford was a long way, but not Kettering.

David

• Like 1

The Cleckheaton show has moved to Doncaster I believe

As​ it's a few years since I left the Guild I haven't kept up with their shows way beyond my travelling area, so apologies for any confusion.

​However, never mind their other shows, shall we return to discussing Kettering?

As​ it's a few years since I left the Guild I haven't kept up with their shows way beyond my travelling area, so apologies for any confusion.

​However, never mind their other shows, shall we return to discussing Kettering?

Why do you want to discuss a show that you don't attend? ISTR that when you were a member of the Guild you spent a lot of your time on their forum complaining about shows and how the organisation is run. Seems nothing's changed.

Perhaps a positive post. I attended on behalf of the LNWR Society, and living close by I made the decision to still attend as the show was going ahead. My choice to attend, though as I am local I had the advantage of having driven the bulk of my route several times already that week to reach work.

Whilst the footfall was low in terms of the public (the comment about traders wandering around is rather accuratte) for myself it was good as I enjoyed several conversations with people, both society members and not, and learnt quite a few things as the day went on and also hopefully helped a few people with enquries. I also managed to talk to some of the traders which is not something which we can neccasarily normally do as they are rightly busy with paying customers. It was also good to be able to have a natter with Marc of Furness who has posted on this thread already, who is one of my outstanding enquiries.

I would like to say a big thank you to the Gents at Premier Components who looked after me with a supply of tea etc as I was on my own.

David

post-2237-0-01986300-1520364457_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

when you were a member of the Guild you spent a lot of your time on their forum complaining about shows and how the organisation is run. Seems nothing's changed.

You are probably right.  Nothing at the Guild does seem to have changed.

Out of interest, do you recall what time the picture was taken? Hopefully before the show opened, judging by the lack of crowds....

That was as busy as it got, with an attendance of 201 , plus unknown number of advanced ticket holders..

Is 201 the official guild figure?

Official ticket sales..

125 guild members

49 non members

27 e-tickets

Total 201,which is 757 down from 2017!!

Not including advanced tickets

Edited by kernowtim

• RMweb Premium

Official ticket sales..

125 guild members

49 non members

27 e-tickets

That is a shame.

I like El Tel was at that Stafford show that was hit by the snow on the Friday. Its not nice as all of your hard work collapses around you

Andy

Official ticket sales..

125 guild members

49 non members

27 e-tickets

Where were these people looked a lot less to me. But perhaps I need to go to spec savers.

Marc

Where were these people looked a lot less to me. But perhaps I need to go to spec savers.

Marc

Got to agree with you Marc, I was thinking 100-130/40 people tops as members of the public wandering about, so im surprised at 201. Mind due to the cancelations the hall was out of balance and our end was less populated stand wise, understandable but might have had something to do with it

Official ticket sales..

125 guild members

49 non members

27 e-tickets

I am surprised these figures are in here as they are not on the Guilds New Forum ?