Gauge O Guild Kettering Show 2018

MarcD

Latest update on the Guild website at 9am:

16 Traders still expected or already here. - Helmsman Model Rail- Here - Dapol Ltd - here - Hobby Holidays - here TMS Models - here - Steamline Ltd - here Squires Model and Craft Tools - here - Eileen's Emporium - here Skytrex (2013) Ltd - here Finescale Brass (UK) Ltd - here Ellis Clark Trains - here Megapoints Controllers - here - SBT Developments - here - B.D.Coutts - here - Walsall Model Industries - here - Airframed Glass Display Cases - here - Midland Railway Centre - here - Finney 7 - here - M & J Models - here - D & S Models - Ragstone Models - here - ALSRM - here - Ian Kirk - here - L Cut Creative - here - Parliamentary Trains - here - Furness Wagon Company / Pre-grouping Railways - here - Duncan Models - here - Premier Components - here - Meteor Models - here - Peter Cowling - SM Models - Brian & Martin's Goodies - HMRS - here - Midland Railway Society - Made in Manchester Models - Buzz Models - Northants Model Railway Supplies - here - Walsworth Models - Mercian - Marcway - MSC Models Ltd - Ken's Profiles - CPL Products - - Layouts still attending L1 Dunchurch - here - L2 Blackshaw Yard / Cooper's End - here - L4 Eastbridge - here - L5 Test Track - here - As far as we know all demonstrators apart from Brian Daniels are still attending as are Bring & Buy Societies - LNWR - here - Great Central Railway Society -here - Updated at 09.00h 3/3/18

Even without the comment from dava, this week has shown the GOG in a very poor light in my opinion, you only have to look at other threads in this section to see that other shows were cancelled days ago.

I'd hazard a guess that if the GOG cancel the show then they have to refund the exhibitors etc. However, if the exhibitor fails to turn up then they carry the cost.

If that is correct, which I suspect it may well be,(whilst I appreciate that the GOG may not exactly be rolling in money), it shows to me that not only do the guild have contempt for 'free riding' non members but that they also have very little respect for the people that are supporting them i.e. the traders. and are expecting them to turn up regardless rather than pay a cancellation fee.

Even without the comment from dava, this week has shown the GOG in a very poor light in my opinion, you only have to look at other threads in this section to see that other shows were cancelled days ago.

If that is correct, which I suspect it may well be,(whilst I appreciate that the GOG may not exactly be rolling in money), it shows to me that not only do the guild have contempt for 'free riding' non members but that they also have very little respect for the people that are supporting them i.e. the traders. and are expecting them to turn up regardless rather than pay a cancellation fee.

From a Facebook post - a response to an enquiry as to why they didn't cancel.

Shawn in reply to do so would have wasted a hell of a lot of money. The hall alone is over £5k. Then we would have had to reimburse all the Traders as well. That is not really going to be favourable with the membership. I am sorry if you are livid but, not all of the country is snowed in and there are some who would like to come.(snipped)

Interestingly the Guild forum now contains members posts exclaiming how easy their journey to Kettering was.

Without wishing to comment directly on the Guild's financial situation, the recently published accounts show a cost cutting programme has had to be implemented and I suspect there would have been a financial imperative on the decision not to cancel.

• RMweb Gold

Shawn in reply to do so would have wasted a hell of a lot of money. The hall alone is over £5k. Then we would have had to reimburse all the Traders as well. That is not really going to be favourable with the membership. I am sorry if you are livid but, not all of the country is snowed in and there are some who would like to come.(snipped)

It's all me me me................. :nono:

Not sure its about the ordinary members - if the Guild gets into financial difficulty then potentially it is the directors who could become financially viable. So it appears the thinking is its better to present around a third of show and let the traders who cancel or suffer reduced takings take the hit, along with the punters who have paid full price for part of an event. Bit like buying a ticket for a premier division game and seeing it played as a 5 a side.

Edited by vaughan45

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like they don't have any form of cancellation insurance other than expecting traders to foot the bill.

The more information that comes out, the less sympathy I have with the Guild and the more I have for the poor traders.

The traders were faced with two options:

~ risk travelling in poor weather, face the full costs, receive reduced income

~ cancel and foot the bill for the stand and associated costs

This appears to be the latest list of those attending. The show should now be open.

Helmsman Model Rail- Here - Dapol Ltd - here - Hobby Holidays - here TMS Models - here - Steamline Ltd - here Squires Model and Craft Tools - here - Eileen's Emporium - here Skytrex (2013) Ltd - here Finescale Brass (UK) Ltd - here Ellis Clark Trains - here Megapoints Controllers - here - SBT Developments - here - B.D.Coutts - here - Walsall Model Industries - here - Airframed Glass Display Cases - here - Midland Railway Centre - here - Finney 7 - here - M & J Models - here - D & S Models - Ragstone Models - here - ALSRM - here - Ian Kirk - here - L Cut Creative - here - Parliamentary Trains - here - Furness Wagon Company / Pre-grouping Railways - here - Duncan Models - here - Premier Components - here - Meteor Models - here - SM Models - here HMRS - here - Buzz Models - here Northants Model Railway Supplies - here - Walsworth Models - here - Mercian - here - Finney 7 - Here- - MSC Models Ltd - here - Brian & Martin's Goodies - Peter Cowling - here Ken's Profiles - Here - TRADERS STILL TO ARRIVE - CPL Products - Midland Railway Society - Made in Manchester Models - - Layouts still attending L1 Dunchurch - here - L2 Blackshaw Yard / Cooper's End - here - L4 Eastbridge - here - L5 Test Track - here - As far as we know all demonstrators apart from Brian Daniels are still attending as are Bring & Buy Societies - LNWR - here - Great Central Railway Society -here

The main roads in the area are largely passable but are bearing the strain of several days of the heaviest snowfall in many years and the consequences of traffic diverting from other routes which aren't passable. A further couple of inches yesterday and into the night has added to the problems local services are having to maintain them in a useable state. One of the major issues has been the volume of traffic who have been ignoring appeals not to travel for other than essential journeys, concentrated on those routes which are passable, this has impeded efforts to fully clear and grit the roads to ensure they continue to be passable. Similarly the local medical services have been under immense strain in dealing with a significantly higher level of casualties, and that on top of Kettering General's A+E already being one of the most overcrowded in the UK.

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of going ahead, or the underlying reasons for it, I guess the local services will be thankful the number of attendees at the show will be significantly reduced, a sizeable increase in traffic adding to already creaking road infrastructure which isn't getting the chance to recover would certainly not have been welcome. Hopefully all goes well and there will be no need to rely on services who's resources could better used for those in real need but maybe, just maybe this is a wake-up call to organisers to ensure they take full responsibility for their own events, recognise the realities of what can and does go wrong, take the necessary precautions to cover their risk and don't rely on others to pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong.

So 37 Traders in attendance with 3 more expected ,but not yet arrived. Therefore 52 or 55 not  Therefore  37 at Show. an  attendance percentage of  40%.

It would also appear that at least one Trader from Cornwall has been left LIVID by the Chairman's comments or attitude.

All very sad. I hope all those attending the show ger home safely.

Edited by CUTLER2579

• RMweb Premium

A maximum of 44 out of 92. Going to be quite an empty hall, particularly as a number of the cancellations normally have quite lengthy stalls. Enough spare room for a traders 5-a-side later?

Surely ice hockey?

Masterpiece aren’t going so I’ve just stood the chauffeur down for the day.

I live about 75 min away from Kettering on a good day and would have gone. It started snowing yesterday at 4-30 and continued until 10pm ish. I went out last night to help out a neighbour and found that our local authorities had done no gritting whatsoever on local roads and that therefore they were in an awful condition. I skidded going around a roundabout in 2nd at 12mph and I saw a pair of police cars both with blues on going the other way at around 15 mph ! Sorry the main roads are probably ok but seeing the state of my local ones I'm not going to risk ending up in a smash just to go to a train show. Amazed it not cancelled and if they didn't have it even more amazed they did not have insurance cover for bad weather. The stuff I wanted to buy I will now get from people's websites, no big loss I guess.

• Like 2

Leamington show, not far away, was cancelled on Thursday.

Peter

In fairness to the organisers of that show they had no choice as the school campus they use was closed from Friday until Monday by those that manage it.

With regard to Kettering Leisure Village, it would have been interesting to see what happened if the leisure centre had been unable to muster the necessary level of staff to open to the public this morning - although I suppose that would have allowed the Guild to claim redress against the operators and re-coup their costs instead of effectively passing these on to the traders who were unable to attend. Whilst I am aware that traders are a commercial enterprise whose aim is to make a profit, many are cottage industries and any loss will possibly impact on funds available to develop products for modellers,

Edited by vaughan45

Some traders who have had to cancel Show attendances this weekend are offering free postage or discounts on products if ordered on their websites over this weekend.

Little Loco Co. & Narrow Planet are two I know of.

Got my order in with Narrow Planet for North British builder plates (for my LLC Class 22 ;) )... saved 35p - hey, Every Little Helps!! :D

The bonus being, Narrow Planet were due to be at another Show, not Kettering!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stafford Railway Circle

As a club that organises a major multiscale exhibition the first weekend in February each year the possibility of weather cancellation of the exhibition is a major worry.

As many regulars will know about five years ago we had very heavy snow starting just after 11:00 on the Saturday morning which continued well into the evening. (some of you never let me forget)

The financial loss to the club with a much lower attendance especially on the Sunday cost the club many thousands of pounds.

It was a wake up call which prompted the club to take preventative action.

1. As a club we now take insurance to cover some of the costs should we have to cancel the exhibition.

2. We have what we call our Cobra meeting on the Wednesday to make a decision to go ahead or cancel exhibition.

3. A regular update from the Met Office and Highways Authorities including local public transport.

4. A regular update on our website and RMWEB

Yes it can still go pear shaped, but at least we are proactive in our approach to minimise disruption and expense.

On the matter of insurance traders.

I’m sure they would be able to obtaiin cancellation Insurance.

I’ll pre empty a question that I’m pretty sure will be asked.

Why not move the exhibition date?

Two major reasons there are no other alternative weekends available at the Stafford Showground and there is no other local facility available in the local area, and of course we don’t want to clash with any other major exhibition.

Eltel

• Like 2

I’ll pre empty a question that I’m pretty sure will be asked.

Why not move the exhibition date?

Two major reasons there are no other alternative weekends available at the Stafford Showground and there is no other local facility available in the local area, and of course we don’t want to clash with any other major exhibition.

Eltel

The other problem is that it doesn't always work, the Leamington Show was moved to March from January because of the bad weather a couple of years ago! Fortunately prudent planning and Insurance mitigates the risk, and the cost of insuring is relatively small.

Whatever decision is made is open to criticism, but in the case of Kettering they seem to have painted themselves into a corner by failing to Insure, putting them in a lose/lose situation, and will now pay the price. I hope that they carry cover for Telford, if there was ever a problem with that show the losses would be well into five figures.

Peter

Edited by peter220950

It has been reported on the Guild forum that Kettering show will close at 2:45pm - just in case anyone is currently travelling to this apology for a show. What a farce - wonder what the attendance has actually been, hopefully those traders who did attend will have taken enough to make it worthwhile.

Makes me ashamed to be a Guild member.

Edited by vaughan45

• RMweb Premium

It has been reported on the Guild forum that Kettering show will close at 2:45pm - just in case anyone is currently travelling to this apology for a show. What a farce - wonder what the attendance has actually been, hopefully those traders who did attend will have taken enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm sure others will join me in thanking you and others for keeping the outside world updated. The Guild's own information to the free-rider community has IMO been very poor. This episode really has not painted the Guild in a very good light as demonstrated by comments across multiple modelling forums and, I understand, the Guild's own forum. I really hope lessons are learnt from this mess. I suspect that there are a number of bridges to be mended with traders as well.

I'm sure others will join me in thanking you and others for keeping the outside world updated. The Guild's own information to the free-rider community has IMO been very poor. This episode really has not painted the Guild in a very good light as demonstrated by comments across multiple modelling forums and, I understand, the Guild's own forum. I really hope lessons are learnt from this mess. I suspect that there are a number of bridges to be mended with traders as well.

Many thanks,

I suspect I may be black-balled from the Guild for making the information available. If I hadn't just renewed my Guild subscription, then I probably wouldn't bother as other than the quarterly Gazette and reduced exhibition entrance charges for Guild events, I'm not sure what the other benefits are.

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 2