Mainly Trains winding up again

Major Clanger

This is really good news. 

As others have said, Mainly Trains was THE place to go for all the fiddly or difficult to get bits and kits. In the past, Dave Cleal was also always very helpful when I was not sure exactly what to order to achieve a particular result - more difficult from here in Oz when we can't see the products at all.

Good luck with the venture, Andrew.

It was sad to hear about Dave's passing but great news that you have taken on his range. As a couple of posts above have mentioned, he was often first choice for those of us in Oz for various bits and pieces. I look forward to seeing some of the etches becoming available again such as the loco window grills and the chassis for the GEM 2-4-0T although I think the demand for the last may fall since the current owner of the kit range has announced he has closed shop for health reasons. (Another possible addition to your range?)

Dave R. 

I would like to echo this post.

Whilst not wanting you to take on "too much" I think that the GEM range would be another excellent addition to the range. Especially since at least one loco kit needs the etches that Mainly Trains produces and Wizard already sell part of the GEM range. Besides the LNWR locos would compliment all those lovely LNWR carriages you make. 

:)

Jason

It was sad to hear about Dave's passing but great news that you have taken on his range. As a couple of posts above have mentioned, he was often first choice for those of us in Oz for various bits and pieces. I look forward to seeing some of the etches becoming available again such as the loco window grills and the chassis for the GEM 2-4-0T although I think the demand for the last may fall since the current owner of the kit range has announced he has closed shop for health reasons. (Another possible addition to your range?)

Dave R.

I would like to echo this post.

Whilst not wanting you to take on "too much" I think that the GEM range would be another excellent addition to the range. Especially since at least one loco kit needs the etches that Mainly Trains produces and Wizard already sell part of the GEM range. Besides the LNWR locos would compliment all those lovely LNWR carriages you make. 

:)

Jason

Looking at the GEM website I read that the owner is closing the internet shop but that the kits will continue to be produced and sold through several listed retailers.

Looking at the GEM website I read that the owner is closing the internet shop but that the kits will continue to be produced and sold through several listed retailers.

It doesn't actually say "will continue to be produced" does it - I read the implication that remaining stocks would be available through certain retailers?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It doesn't actually say "will continue to be produced" does it - I read the implication that remaining stocks would be available through certain retailers?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

the website Home page is rather unclear. On the one hand it says "wind down all operations of Lytchett Manor Models", on the other "You can still obtain Lytchett Manor/Gem products from the following retailers". "Trade Enquires Are Always Welcome" is still prominent on the Home Page. So which is it?

If production does cease, then someone may take the business over. There are also other kits for many of the models that GEM produced in 4mm, particularly LNWR, although I do not know about N Gauge.

​Jol

John,

the website Home page is rather unclear. On the one hand it says "wind down all operations of Lytchett Manor Models", on the other "You can still obtain Lytchett Manor/Gem products from the following retailers". "Trade Enquires Are Always Welcome" is still prominent on the Home Page. So which is it?

If production does cease, then someone may take the business over. There are also other kits for many of the models that GEM produced in 4mm, particularly LNWR, although I do not know about N Gauge.

​Jol

Jol,

Don't misunderstand me - no-one would be happier than me if Gem were to continue production, either under the present ownership or a new owner.

It's just that what has recently been announced is capable of at least two interpretations.

.... and I agree that Wizard would be an ideal candidate; (but may not be in the mood for empire-building)!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Here's one I made earlier:

post-6720-0-26425200-1521045712_thumb.jpg

The castings were ... not the best, but the MT chassis goes together very nicely indeed, and I had an immediate desire to build another one. If the castings could be subjected to a bit more quality control, I think the package kit would still be very a worthwhile product.

• Like 10

Must finish mine off.

All three of them. :)

Bought the first one when Model Rail done a build of it and I was getting back into kit building. Then I realised they were all different so started to do the research into the differences. Bought another one as I was planning a small layout based on the Tanat Valley. Then I saw another one going cheap on eBay. So it's one nearly finished and two still in the boxes.

Jason

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I look forward to the etches and SR tender chassis reappearing

........... and in due course, it would be nice if the chassis for the 4000 gallon tender could join it ! : the Bachmann bodies for this still seem to be readily available ( unlike the 3500 gal ) and the ABS axlebox castings appear from time to time ( every time I look in my TO DO pile to be prezact ) !

........... and in due course, it would be nice if the chassis for the 4000 gallon tender could join it ! : the Bachmann bodies for this still seem to be readily available ( unlike the 3500 gal ) and the ABS axlebox castings appear from time to time ( every time I look in my TO DO pile to be prezact ) !

The tender chassis frets seem to have been withdrawn from the range before Mainly Trains closed down. I have no details of etching tool numbers etc, but will make enquiries in due course.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The tender chassis frets seem to have been withdrawn from the range before Mainly Trains closed down. I have no details of etching tool numbers etc, but will make enquiries in due course.

If the SR Tender frame could be got going again that would be brilliant. Even just the tender axleboxes as getting SR ones is difficult.