Engines

Well, it has sort of been announced as a kit by Judith Edge Kits with availability next month.

That will probably be more complex to do than my scratch built effort so I'm fine that. However an Accurascale Fell is gonna surpass all of us. Of course they record sounds for their first engine project so unless Accurascale have perfected time travel (possible given they only take months from announcement to release while others take years), a Fell is less likely for now. But - as a rail crossing sign near me says - "one train can hide another".

Edited by JSpencer

Of course they record sounds for their first engine project...

If it’s the Fell, they’ll have to record six engines. An outstanding example of coming up with a completely different solution to a problem. I don’t believe it was ever going to be adopted as a standard type but it did work and what finished it was a fire in the heating boiler; nothing to do with its extraordinary innards.

If it’s the Fell, they’ll have to record six engines. An outstanding example of coming up with a completely different solution to a problem. I don’t believe it was ever going to be adopted as a standard type but it did work and what finished it was a fire in the heating boiler; nothing to do with its extraordinary innards.

We already had Rapido (which from memory I think was Legomanbiffo) starting up multiple turbines on the APT-E. So I guess the same functionality could be used again for a 6 engine Fell.

We already had Rapido (which from memory I think was Legomanbiffo) starting up multiple turbines on the APT-E. So I guess the same functionality could be used again for a 6 engine Fell.

Don’t! You’re making me salivate!

The inner two wheelsets were geared together and also had coupling rods. The centre coupling rods had to be removed because they fought with the inner gearing. “Those who do not remember history are condemned to relive it.” Can anyone think of a model range where the same thing happens?  :scratchhead: (Rhetorical question.)

• Like 1

The inner two wheelsets were geared together and also had coupling rods. The centre coupling rods had to be removed because they fought with the inner gearing.  Can anyone think of a model range where the same thing happens?  :scratchhead: (Rhetorical question.)

Well, based on the horror stories I've herd -  I'm scared to run my "OO" Gauge Bayer Garrett for fear of it distroying itself - is that close?   

If there is a new improved version -how about the manufacturer providing new motors to those with the "original" locos?  Surely its poor design if the two motors work against each other.....

Regards,

C.

Well, based on the horror stories I've herd -  I'm scared to run my "OO" Gauge Bayer Garrett for fear of it distroying itself - is that close?   

If there is a new improved version -how about the manufacturer providing new motors to those with the "original" locos?  Surely its poor design if the two motors work against each other.....

Regards,

C.

He was referring to another make that produced steam locos with coupling rods and gears. To be honest, personally I think the problem on those models was down to the motors being too small but I accept the 1:1 scale example.

Like you, I also suffer from Garrett trauma despite never having had a problem with mine (although that may be due more to the fact that I rarely run it thanks to the trauma!). However the Garrett is basically 2 conventional chassis and if both have the same running qualities, then its fine. I leave all heavy freight work to my fleet of three 9Fs (2 Bachmann, 1 Hornby).

Edited by JSpencer

He was referring to another make that produced steam locos with coupling rods and gears. To be honest, personally I think the problem on those models was down to the motors being too small but I accept the 1:1 scale example.

Like you, I also suffer from Garrett trauma despite never having had a problem with mine (although that may be due more to the fact that I rarely run it thanks to the trauma!). However the Garrett is basically 2 conventional chassis and if both have the same running qualities, then its fine. I leave all heavy freight work to my fleet of three 9Fs (2 Bachmann, 1 Hornby).

Go diesel JS...you'll find a 24/25 can do the work of 2 9Fs...BR did!

Go diesel JS...you'll find a 24/25 can do the work of 2 9Fs...BR did!

My interest crosses into diesels, in fact most DCC sound conversions are concentrated there. Those Heljan Cromptons are such reliable strong beasts with 6 so far and a 7th on order.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Okay guys and gals; own up! Who wrote this on the side of the graffiti hoover at the 50 jubilee gala? :laugh: :laugh:

attachicon.gifimage324.jpeg

I thought the SVR was closed and had been taken over the Network South East.

Http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138155-class-50s-at-50-years-svr-gala-october-2018/

Good luck reproducing 50033 in its graffiti livery, though i’d Imagine all the hundreds who’ve tagged it would buy one.

Edited by adb968008

It will be the Fell, but with Co-Co wheel arrangement, a stretched body and an English Electric 12CVST prime mover - that version had more livery variations and subtle nose differences.

IMHO, the Lima and (sadly) Bachmann 37s and 40s look like the bloody Fell loco anyway, I mean how difficult is it to actually mould the window rubbers onto the loco body where it should be, rather than the glazing (where it shouldn't be).

It's a sad state of affairs where (in my opinion) the Jouef version still holds its own looks-wise, despite being too wide and despite having windows in the wrong place on one side.

In this day and age, we shouldn't have to correct blatant errors with brass etches on £100+ locos.

Cmon Accurascale.... You know you want to...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is getting silly, everybody knows (or ought to know) that the 'in thing' nowadays is narrow gauge and where else should folk be looking but Ireland.  Just think how r-t-r Listowel and Ballybunion would sell :O  (probably not if we're honest I suppose) but motive power for the Burtonport Extension of the 'Swilly would be really something.  And there are various CDR items preserved and measurable of course.

• Like 1