Reintroduction of Slaters 4mm 20 ton Wooden Hopper

Porcy Mane

The transfers would seem to be from the same artwork but, compared to the Pressfix ones I've got in front of me, the layout has been slightly re-arranged with a good many more numberplates added, including blank ones. Presumably there are two sheets like the one shown, as that only does one side. (Assuming you want the same livery on both sides!) Are they waterslide?

Yes, sorry, I did mean to state that.

There are two identical sheets of waterslide transfers on the kit.

Cheers

J

I have just received my package of 6 hoppers. I ordered them 10 days ago, they were posted on the 29th and I received them today so congratulations to slaters for such great service... the interesting thing about this is that is also from the UK to Australia! I am really looking forward to building these up. Just wish I had the time in the next few weeks.... I have 3 coaches to be finished!

• 1 month later...

Perhaps not quite the right thread for this, but, does anyone have any intel on the latest with the mooted re-release of the GWR toplight coach kits? There was a palpable groundswell of excitement back in the Spring when these were first floated as coming back into the Slaters range, but since then nothing. 

Given that there is not much currently on the RTR shelves that I am wanting to buy (I might get another Hornby Star in the late GWR livery, and also the latest GWR Grange release, but I don't need them), I would be minded at the moment to splash most of the current 'modelling budget' on some toplight kits - perhaps six or seven or so.

Any insight would be appreciated, as I know a few members on here seem to have some insider knowledge with this. 

CoY

Has anyone got or seen photographs of these in internal use by British Sugar, as the only ones I have seen are LMS iron ore or ex Liverpool Corporation!

Mark Saunders 

Only in preservastion (I thought there was more than one preserved)...

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=6454

• 1 month later...

Eek!

I bet those that paid a small fortune on ebay are kicking themselves now.

Jason

Or even the people who were going to put some on Ebay but didn't. Doh! :superstition:

Dave Franks.

And don't forget cast buffers are available from LMS.

Well great to see the brake vans are back in production. I have a couple squirrelled away for a train or 2 that I have yet to find to find time to build. In fact I have started one of the hoppers only... and that hasn't got very far at all. :(

• RMweb Gold

Saw several of these Hoppers today at the H.A Models stand at Warley today. What I did pick up though was a 4043 NER/LNER Diagram VI Birdcage Brakevan kit...!! :)

I picked one up earlier  and it's half done already.

Lovely kit and going together well, the transfers are missing but there is a note from Slaters inside on how to get them sent.

Waterslide transfers are mentioned in the advert. Time will tell. Maybe it's completely new art work?

Showing my age but when  I bought my first slaters hopper they were supplied with rub on transfers.

... and the you can do some distressing and adding the 360 odd coach bolt heads to the inside.   :smile_mini2:

attachicon.gifSlaters20tHopper-07-EditSm.jpg

attachicon.gifSlaters20tHopper-08-EditSm.jpg

If modelling the BR period most were withdrawn by approx 1960 but the Wooden 13 tonners lasted a good few years more. The NCB and ICI Billingham bought shed loads of the withdrawn 20 tonners from BR. Some of the ICI examples were painted up in ICI livery. My hazy memory tell me all the examples on the NYMR were all ex ICI.

P

Waterslide transfers are mentioned in the advert. Time will tell. Maybe it's completely new art work?

Showing my age but when  I bought my first slaters hopper they were supplied with rub on transfers.

... and the you can do some distressing and adding the 360 odd coach bolt heads to the inside.   :smile_mini2:

attachicon.gifSlaters20tHopper-07-EditSm.jpg

attachicon.gifSlaters20tHopper-08-EditSm.jpg

If modelling the BR period most were withdrawn by approx 1960 but the Wooden 13 tonners lasted a good few years more. The NCB and ICI Billingham bought shed loads of the withdrawn 20 tonners from BR. Some of the ICI examples were painted up in ICI livery. My hazy memory tell me all the examples on the NYMR were all ex ICI.

P

This is hand made.

• RMweb Gold

I picked one up earlier  and it's half done already.

Lovely kit and going together well, the transfers are missing but there is a note from Slaters inside on how to get them sent.

As an update on this, I posted this on my own thread last night.

post-4738-0-53766300-1543308863_thumb.jpg

Purchased from H&A at Warley on Sunday for £7.69, just needed 14mm spoked wheels which I had.

• Like 11

attachicon.gif377.JPG

Purchased from H&A at Warley on Sunday for £7.69, just needed 14mm spoked wheels which I had.

Did you have to do the traditional shaving off of the handrails to put the wire ones on, or have Slaters decided that's what people do anyway and have taken them off the mouldings? 

I've never made a birdcage van, but I've done a few Slaters MR brake vans which had them moulded on. 

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif377.JPG

I really must finish the one I started when they were available from Slaters first time round...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Did you have to do the traditional shaving off of the handrails to put the wire ones on, or have Slaters decided that's what people do anyway and have taken them off the mouldings? 

I've never made a birdcage van, but I've done a few Slaters MR brake vans which had them moulded on. 

I've built a few and none of them had moulded handrails, there are lots of other details that can be added and I would recommend Ian Sadler's book 'North Eastern Railway Brake Vans, a Railway Bylines Special', I think it needs about 8000 lamp brackets fitting...

I've built a few and none of them had moulded handrails, there are lots of other details that can be added and I would recommend Ian Sadler's book 'North Eastern Railway Brake Vans, a Railway Bylines Special', I think it needs about 8000 lamp brackets fitting...

Must be done differently from the Midland ones then. 

• RMweb Gold

The photo on the box has one long handrail along the side, obscuring the side door, surely shome mistake?

It also shows one between the end pillars which also shouldn't be there, probably someone quickly built one up for the box cover.