Peterborough North

great northern

Jeff

I'm not trying to be flippant when I say this but they are 3D they have thickness, relief and depth.

Here are three Cad images of the same parts and these are in Computer 3D so that you can compair them to the etched version.

post-6665-0-87577900-1324466559_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-29231900-1324466561_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-83050000-1324466562_thumb.jpg

Pete

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Wow... just wow!

Out of interest, being a local I'd like to know where you found your picture references? I'd like to take a look at the pics as I've only ever seen photo's of the externals, mostly at a distance too.

I have a very extensive library, built up over many years. I'm afraid the specific books on Peterborough are long out of print. Peterborough Library were very helpful a couple of years ago, and have some good stuff. There are a couple of web sites I know of too - just Google Peterborough North and see what comes up! Finally Andrew C Ingram now has the copyright on some excellent collections from the '50's, and again full details are on his website.

Edited by great northern

Gravy Train,

Having seen this 'box in the flesh and hopefully seeing your superb platform buildings next month, can I ask about some of the constructional aspects of them please? Being a relative newcomer to this "building buildings" lark myself, I'm keen to learn new ideas and take on board techniques/tips.

Am I right in thinking they're a perspex shell on them or built up from laminates of plasticard sheet? :)

Also, what is the provenance of the windows along the non-platform side?

Cheers,

Hi tim,

I will help as best i can as time allows of course.

with regard to the adtual construction methods I try to stay away from laminating were possible with regard to stregnthening the structure.

My wall or main sections are formed as a shell of 40thou plastic sheet, inner and outer and framed on the inside around the outer edges and centres at apropriate intervals for a robust structture, thats the bones of it.

with regard to laminations i only apply as to build up relief were needs be for depth as prototype pattern but nevee for stregnth.

I hpe that gives some clues.

here are some construction photos to give some insight to the constructin methods incorporated.

PB250023-1.jpg

PC030029-1.jpg

PC030028-1.jpg

PC030027-1.jpg

PC030026-1.jpg

cheers

Peter

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this layout, fantastic work, hope you had a good Christmas.

Couple of questions.

1. Why are you drilling holes in the bottom of springside loco lamps, and how do you fit them as a result?

2. The station tower has a etching framework around the top, where did you aquire this since I could do with some for my station?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just discovered this layout, fantastic work, hope you had a good Christmas.

Couple of questions.

1. Why are you drilling holes in the bottom of springside loco lamps, and how do you fit them as a result?

2. The station tower has a etching framework around the top, where did you aquire this since I could do with some for my station?

Springside lamps are solid white metal as supplied, so can't be correctly placed on the lamp iron. I've tried just putting them in front of the irons, but it doesn't look right, so much though I hate the job there is no alternative but to drill a hole so that they can be inserted onto the lamp iron. If then secured just with a bit of blu tac or tacky wax they can be removed or repositioned when required.

The buildings were done by Peter Leyland ( Gravy Train). I believe he had special etches done for the job.

• RMweb Premium

I will post some more photos of Peter's superb buildings and the further progress which has taken place as soon as the current uploading problems are sorted out, but in the meantime I can at least record my sincere thanks to all who have followed this thread during 2011. Over 74000 hits and over 1000 replies! I would never have believed it if I'd been told twelve months ago that would be where we are today.

So to all those who have offered support advice and encouragement, to those who have contributed track buildings,signals, locos and rolling stock which make this layout what it is, and to everyone who takes the trouble to follow this project, may I wish you a Happy Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

And last but certainly not least to Andy Y who makes all this possible for us, whatever the difficulties that are thrown at him. We are all very fortunate people to be able to enjoy this resource to which he generously devotes so much time and effort.

Gilbert.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the upload problem has been solved, so here's what I've been up to the last few days. I could of course have done something useful which would have moved things on - there's enough scenic detail to be done to occupy me for a long time - but predictably I couldn't resist making some very crude mock ups of the overall roofs, just to see what it will soon look like. I had plenty of grey board lying around, so I've also done a base for the station forecourt, and put the hotel roughly in position.

I stress that this is all very crude and temporary, and in no way accurate, for example I'm sure the pitch of the roof isn't right, but it does I hope give a glimpse of what is to come.

post-98-0-85722800-1325498037_thumb.jpg

First one is looking along the forecourt from Station Road. I was worried that I hadn't allowed enough width for the forecourt. It was in those days a dead end, so there has to be room for vehicles to turn. Those of you who remember 1950's cars will know that their turning circle was not exactly tight. Proper buildings at the far end to replace my scratchbuilt effort should be the next to arrive.

post-98-0-46101400-1325498255_thumb.jpg

This one is just a slightly different angle.

post-98-0-08600800-1325498341_thumb.jpg

Now we are looking from the opposite end. I shall now post these while I can, as the upload seems to be unhappy again.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Let' see if we can get some more done.

post-98-0-77100900-1325499095_thumb.jpg

Jolly good, we can. This is just a closer view of the Up buildings.

post-98-0-23695100-1325499201_thumb.jpg

And a slightly different angle. You can just about see the difference overall roof is going to make.

post-98-0-85118100-1325499330_thumb.jpg

About time for a train. :) Here's a Welwyn Garden City - Colwick class D, headed by Hitchin shed's immaculate named B1 61027 Madoqua. The left hand side of the overall roof seems to be hanging in space. that's because it was supported by a length of wall which ran for a short distance outside it, which hasn't arrived yet. Actually I'm rather pleased with this, as I think it does start to give an impression of what the view from here will eventually be.

Going off at a tangent, I recently checked the running qualities of my seven split chassis B1's against the latest Bachmann and Hornby ones. To my surprise five of them were pretty good, and this one is the best of the lot. One is average, and the last one might as well have square wheels. I wish the same could be said for my V2's........

post-98-0-47861100-1325499854_thumb.jpg

A bit of black and white for a change. This is the view from the South, looking under Crescent Bridge.

post-98-0-30499600-1325500009_thumb.jpg

And this is taken from the bridge. Yet again, I failed to notice all the stuff I had left lying around until after the photo had been taken.

post-98-0-97841400-1325500155_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't have wanted to take this one unless there was an Engineer's possession. Standing on the Down main with one's back to oncoming traffic is not a good idea. Nice view though.

post-98-0-29944800-1325500331_thumb.jpg

Time for another train. This shows one of the reasons I chose the summer of '58 as the time scale for the layout, as trains like this ceased running not long afterwards. This is the 1645 Grantham- Peterborough. It took nearly an hour to cover 29 miles. I suppose the formation ( BSK CK) confirms that no-one expected many passengers. Having said that though, it was a valuable local resource for the residents of the villages en route. The engine is one of Grantham's L1's.

post-98-0-26765900-1325500737_thumb.jpg

Same train, this time viewed from the loading dock on the Up side. That's all for now, but it's a lovely sunny day so I may do some more in between running trains.

• Like 15

Is the roof going to be removable at the end? would be a shame for that platform detail to be hidden.

Like you say, its a shame such small trains don't really exist any more, unless you can drive its such a pain to get out to some of the villages. Would also ease congestion on the roads.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is the roof going to be removable at the end? would be a shame for that platform detail to be hidden.

Like you say, its a shame such small trains don't really exist any more, unless you can drive its such a pain to get out to some of the villages. Would also ease congestion on the roads.

The roof will certainly be removable, to deal with track cleaning and possible derailments if for no other reason. Most of the time though it will be firmly in place. It's something I did give a lot of thought to before deciding to model Peterborough, because as you say it seems a shame to cover up all those lovely buildings and all that detail. In the end though no other location even came close to giving me what I wanted, so I had to accept it.

I wonder how much traffic there would be now from places like Essendine and Corby Glen, not to mention Little Bytham. Even the "slow" trains now are pretty quick compared with 50 years ago. I'll bet you could get into Peterborough a lot quicker than by car now, at least during the rush hour.

• Like 1