Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I've actually run some trains today, until that is I got to a particularly iconic one. As it's the first time it has run on my metals, I thought it deserved a sequence of shots showing its progress through the station.

post-98-0-48327300-1323623745_thumb.jpg

Our first view is from Thorpe Road...

post-98-0-58001900-1323623813_thumb.jpg

then from beneath Crescent Bridge....

post-98-0-62381400-1323623887_thumb.jpg

and now from the end of Platform 3 we can confirm that this is 266 Down, the KX- Niddrie Class C, better if inaccurately known as the "Scotch Goods". As usual it is hauled by a top link Pacific- today it's Andrew K Mc Cosh, in normal Top Shed condition.

post-98-0-58356100-1323624122_thumb.jpg

We've run down the Island platform, and got this shot from the other end. ( The train is only doing 20 mph maximum remember).... Actually we've trespassed onto the running lines, but no worries- the District Manager said we could.

post-98-0-96144300-1323624340_thumb.jpg

And finally our mate, who we strategically placed on Spital Bridge, captures the train as the driver begins to open the regulator with the end of the PSR in sight.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised that Driver Hoole isn't having to stop to put off a few hot boxes - smashing stuff GN.

He's got about a quarter of a mile to go Mike- Westwood Yard would be where the stop would( and did) take place when Bill had been having fun.

• Like 1

Sorry David, not sure what you are asking? The reporting number of the train was 266 Down, that's what I was saying.

I thought that the 266 down and the 'scots goods' was one and the same?

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

I have a good idea of what's coming from Gravy Train but When, have you any idea?

Pete

He is trying to get all of the station buildings completed by 20th December at latest. That's hopefully when I shall see them. Not long now! I shall have to wait a bit longer for the overall roofs though.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert - How you resisted running that train until now is beyond me. Splendid stuff. If it was me I'd let it go around a few more times!

That's the trouble with being disciplined- the train is number 236 in my day's sequence, so it's taken a long time to reach it, not helped by my reaching for the camera every time I start a running session. I make no comment as to how many circuits it may have done today, nor should that be taken as an admission that it did more than one. Lawyer mode off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm delighted to say that Tony W is getting better by the day. When he visited on Monday he brought with him some more images of Little Bytham, which I am invited to share with you. The only photoshopping is the sky. It's interesting that we are at about the same stage of development. As you will see Tony, like me, is just starting to add detail such as barrow crossings. I shall get my station buildings first though. Anyway, enjoy.

post-98-0-19130800-1323857971_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-41357700-1323858023_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-42008700-1323858058_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-03655000-1323858094_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-61156000-1323858126_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-36803800-1323858165_thumb.jpg

I can't resist adding a comment to this shot of a K2 on the M&GN. Tony built this from the London Road kit, and so far as we are aware this one and mine are the only two working examples in existence, unless of course you know otherwise........

post-98-0-82773600-1323858354_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-55649800-1323858394_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to persuade Tony to join RM Web and start his own thread on this wonderful layout, but in the meantime it's great to be able to share these images on here.

• Like 17

For me Tony W's layout has been the most inspirational since the 1960's days of Borchester. He hasn't crammed lots of track in....The layout has an air of spaciousness about it that so many others lack, and it must It be a great place to watch trains go by. Like Great Northern's Peterborough, the trackwork is superb and '00' to boot.

One thing puzzles me.......The K2 is on a facing crossover.

• Like 1

Its a really nice concept having the M&GN included as well. From these photos the stock reflects the rather neglected air of the line with the older blood and custard contrasting with the mainline with its classier more modern stock. Also the long smooth curves on the ECML compare to the truncated M&GN. Really like the spartan embankments: the distant views of the single wagon and lone signal box. Even with the photoshop helping out there is a very nice sense of distance and space.

• Like 1