Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, probably in these 194 pages you've explained about you new cassette system in the fiddle yard. Would you mind refreshing my memory and tell me how it actually works please? Do you drive a complete train onto a cassette, lift it off the layout and replace it with another?

The easiest way to explain is with photos Peter. All cassettes are kept in this purpose built box.

post-98-0-54264600-1384170208_thumb.jpg

The shelves aren't warped - it is lens distortion again.

post-98-0-76751200-1384170304_thumb.jpg

Here is another view, with Kings Cross "shed" to the right.

post-98-0-14619400-1384170394_thumb.jpg

This is the end of the cassette spur, which is fed from Road 1 of the fiddle yard. The height has been gradually raised by 6mm from baseboard level, so that the cassette will sit level. The block on the left holds the cassette in the right alignment.

post-98-0-16727400-1384170563_thumb.jpg

View from Road 1. The cassette box is just below and to the left of the laptop, so carrying to and fro is kept to a minimum.

post-98-0-78427200-1384170690_thumb.jpg

Cassette has now been placed in position.

post-98-0-73051400-1384170852_thumb.jpg

The train has now been driven into Road 1.

post-98-0-35059900-1384171120_thumb.jpg

Loco now reverses the stock towards the cassette. Power ceases part way, so the loco is then uncoupled, goes forward onto a Peco loco lift, and thence to its "shed". Stock is then manually pushed fully into the cassette, foam securing block inserted, and cassette removed to its designated space in the storage box. Next cassette is then loaded, and things proceed in opposite order. No electrics are involved at all. The stock is moved in and out manually, with gravity assisting when taking it out. I hope that explains it, but please do ask for clarification or amplification if not.

I find that this realy works well, and augments the classic fiddle yard set up. It is very versatile, and easy to operate.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
 I play golf fairly regularly at Peterborough Milton golf club, and the stately home after which the loco was named is very visible from most parts of the course, hence the choice of name.

Apologies, I'm going off topic again!

Ah, so you use your bats ( :lol:) not very far from my home venue and, indeed, that of the area depicted by your magnificent piece of modelling. Incidentally Milton Hall is owned by descendants of the Fitzwilliam family who also have property in Yorkshire near Malton as well as Nantclwyd Hall in Llanelidan. They fly by light aircraft between Milton Hall and Yorkshire and have their own landing strips at both houses, just look out for low flying aircraft when teeing off!

Milton Hall is the largest private house in Cambridgeshire. I gather the golf course is a par 71 course.

Very nice.

A quick look at the 1958 marshalling book shows that the 8.45 Hull/9.15 York also had an RK. In 1959 the Hull/York still had the full Kitchen plus the 10.00 Leeds service also had an RK (in place of the Restaurant First shown in 1958).

One question (slap me if I'm being too picky). Virtually all the Leeds services had a BSO in the formation (as I'm sure you are aware the Ripon service had it at the other end of the train shown). Have you used Comet sides to make your BSOs, cut up Bachmann Mk1s or just decided to use BSKs instead?

• RMweb Premium

Very nice.

A quick look at the 1958 marshalling book shows that the 8.45 Hull/9.15 York also had an RK. In 1959 the Hull/York still had the full Kitchen plus the 10.00 Leeds service also had an RK (in place of the Restaurant First shown in 1958).

One question (slap me if I'm being too picky). Virtually all the Leeds services had a BSO in the formation (as I'm sure you are aware the Ripon service had it at the other end of the train shown). Have you used Comet sides to make your BSOs, cut up Bachmann Mk1s or just decided to use BSKs instead?

Sorry, I missed that one, for some reason I thought it was a Triplet. There is indeed a BSO at the other end of this train, and I do have a few more, though nowhere near as many as there should be. A few years ago I did a deal with John Houlden of Gamston Bank fame. He had discovered that there shouldn't be any MK1 BSO's on his layout, as it is set in 1955, but needed Carmine and Cream MK1's, so we did a swop. I got some Gresley BSO's too. Up till then, I had just taken the pragmatic view that BSK's would have to do. Recently I had a complete rethink, and assessed how many more MK1 BSO's there should be. After that, I went for a lie down, and decided that the Gresley BSO's would have to stay, and that only a couple of MK1's were feasible. Those will be cut and shuts of Bachmanns. Otherwise BSK's will continue to substitute, or when there should be three BSO's in a train one may be left out altogether. I suppose Bachmann may do one some day.

Recently I had a complete rethink, and assessed how many more MK1 BSO's there should be. After that, I went for a lie down, and decided that the Gresley BSO's would have to stay, and that only a couple of MK1's were feasible. Those will be cut and shuts of Bachmanns. Otherwise BSK's will continue to substitute, or when there should be three BSO's in a train one may be left out altogether. I suppose Bachmann may do one some day.

To be honest I really don't blame you. Whilst the marshalling books give us what was required by the operations department for a particular train I have seen numerous occasions in photos of the likes of a BSO replacing a BG, a BSK replacing a CK or rakes just being a couple of coaches short.

The use of a Gresley BSO or a substitute BSK seems almost trivial compared to some variations. Keep your sanity and allow yourself a bit of variation.

Luckily for the era I normally model the BSOs were on Summer Saturday workings only. BR had 181 Mk1 BSOs in total and 127 open firsts (to dia 73), sadly I can't see Bachmann ever making either of these two types.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm carrying out some experiments, and would welcome any comments. North of the station on the Up side was the District Engineer's complex, which so far is totally absent on the model. I'm also looking at how I can put a backscene behind that side of the layout. Below is a prototype photo, copyright of Andrew C Ingram, and not to be further reproduced please, showing what would be seen behind the coaling stage and water tower.

post-98-0-81237800-1384350694_thumb.jpg

Although they are nearly bleached out,the terraced houses continue to the left of the water tower. I want to achieve something which looks at least vaguely like this, and here is my first experiment.

post-98-0-77472900-1384350848_thumb.jpg

The grey board represents the six foot wall which divided railway land from the street, and it is noticeable in other photos which I can't put on here that only the top half of the houses on the other side of Westwood Street can be seen above it. I need to get some perpective into it,and this attempt uses some 2mm Metcalfe buildings. My initial reaction is that they are a bit too small, and that 3mm scale would be better. Any views please? Particularly from Tetleys if he is looking on here to pass the time while in his hospital bed.

To the left of this scene was the District Engineers, and that is the next bit I need to tackle. Hopefully I shall be able to post more later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Do you really need half relief? How about a bit of Blue Peter action 2013 style? Get some quality pics of terraced houses, photoshop them to remove modern things like sky dish etc then play with resizing them on the old PC.  You could then try mounting those pics on a bit of (say 5mm) foam board (that fb being itself attached to a temp back board, to give just a tad of depth. If it is only really going to be viewed front on so to speak that might work?

Are you going to require a District Engineer's Saloon?

Quack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do you really need half relief? How about a bit of Blue Peter action 2013 style? Get some quality pics of terraced houses, photoshop them to remove modern things like sky dish etc then play with resizing them on the old PC.  You could then try mounting those pics on a bit of (say 5mm) foam board (that fb being itself attached to a temp back board, to give just a tad of depth. If it is only really going to be viewed front on so to speak that might work?

Are you going to require a District Engineer's Saloon?

Quack.

That's an interesting idea, though it would require computer skills which are beyond me. Westwood Street actually ran diagonally away from the railway, so some buildings should appear in half relief, while others would be more or less flat. I suspect achieving that would be beyond my capabilities as well. I can't post photos to illustrate all this because of copyright issues. I have one of Danny Pinnock's GN coaches, so the idea at the moment is that it will be converted into some kind of District Engineers vehicle, though probably not his saloon.

I have the software to do the back scene if you supply the photos but if you want actual models of houses, then I would suggest downloading a Scalescenes terrace house file and printing it out at smaller than 1:76 so you achieve a scale somewhere around the 1:100 you are suggesting. This would also be useful for creating a receding perspective if you feel brave.

I think photo-shopped terraced houses will be great.

One of the most convincing models I've seen in a while used an actual Google Street View of Kings Lynn taken across the level crossing. One glance and you knew........

• RMweb Premium

I have the software to do the back scene if you supply the photos but if you want actual models of houses, then I would suggest downloading a Scalescenes terrace house file and printing it out at smaller than 1:76 so you achieve a scale somewhere around the 1:100 you are suggesting. This would also be useful for creating a receding perspective if you feel brave.

Thanks Ian, that is very good of you. I think I will explore both options. I've had a look at the Scalescenes terrace, and I'll download that tomorrow and play around with it. I will also go in search of some suitable buildings and take some photos, and see which option is likely to look best.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian, that is very good of you. I think I will explore both options. I've had a look at the Scalescenes terrace, and I'll download that tomorrow and play around with it. I will also go in search of some suitable buildings and take some photos, and see which option is likely to look best.

There are some good 'Railway Terrace' houses near Retford Station if they would be of the same style, brick etc? I could take some pics. I know that Roy Jackson has used local photo's of houses on "Retford", not cottages but same idea for par of a backscene.

P

• RMweb Premium

There are some good 'Railway Terrace' houses near Retford Station if they would be of the same style, brick etc? I could take some pics. I know that Roy Jackson has used local photo's of houses on "Retford", not cottages but same idea for par of a backscene.

P

Thanks Phil, I may take you up on that. Retford has the advantage that West Carr Road, or at least some of it? is still there, whereas the side of Westwood Road I need was swept away by the construction of Bourges Boulevevard. Nice East Anglian name that. :no:  I'll look at some more contemporary photos and try to work out what sort of thing might be the closest match.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil, I may take you up on that. Retford has the advantage that West Carr Road, or at least some of it? is still there, whereas the side of Westwood Road I need was swept away by the construction of Bourges Boulevevard. Nice East Anglian name that. :no:  I'll look at some more contemporary photos and try to work out what sort of thing might be the closest match.

Opposite West Carr Road (hidden behind a huge wall if passing on the train) are the terraced railway houses I was going on about. There are others in the area that might do the job. Would you like me to go out and practise with our new camera next week when I've finished at the Retford Show? It's no trouble as I enjoy a stroll!

P