Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert,

Moving back to the Hornby Railroad, coach am I right to suggest the glazing is not anything like as flush as the Bachmann version and what else can you point out having had access to both, £15 is very reasonable but if my eyes do not deceive I think I'd rather pay the extra for the genuine flush fitting Bachmann version.

Dave S.

• Like 1

Gilbert,

Moving back to the Hornby Railroad, coach am I right to suggest the glazing is not anything like as flush as the Bachmann version and what else can you point out having had access to both, £15 is very reasonable but if my eyes do not deceive I think I'd rather pay the extra for the genuine flush fitting Bachmann version.

Dave S.

Depends on your pocket - mines tight! I've got just one maroon twelve-coach rake of Bachmanns and that took some saving up for. Otherwise, I've Thompsons that require flush-glazing, etc, and Hornby Gresleys that lack the proper tumble-home (etc.) To make secondary rakes - including mixed - I'll happily use the Railroad, maybe more weathered. And, to my eye, the roof-top panel-joints don't look like they need chiselling off the way the Bachmanns do - and that is one hell of a boring, neck-breaking job.

It's not too hard modelling a branch-line/terminus, whatever, loco and stock-wise, but the ECML is harder on the pocket, particularly if you are concentrating on engines as, I suppose, many of us do.

Tony.

EDIT: And I'm willing to bet that sometime or other, Hatton's will do some special offers that make long rakes more doable...

Edited by Brass0four

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Dave S.

Actually Dave the glazing is pretty flush - the lighting conditions when I took the photos didn't do any favours. I was pleasantly surprised when TW showed me them, and they really don't loook out of place next to Bachmanns. There are compromises, not much underframe detail, none of the extra roof detail Bachmann do, and a lack of brandings- no C1 on the ends for example, though that is easy enough to put right, but the basic coach is rather good. TW is of the same opinion, and you know that he is not easy to please. The one thing IMO that must go is the plastic wheels, not so much because of appearance, but because of the running problems that will occur through dirt collection.

I always remove the roof ribs from Bachmann Mk1's, repaint the roof, renumber, and weather. Oh, and replace the wheels if I can get any Jacksons. That's a fair bit of work, and I reckon if I put the same amount of time into Hornby's effort I'd have a coach that would pass muster pretty well, and with a significant saving. The colour match with Bachmann is close too, so they can be made to look right in a mixed rake.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Depends on your pocket - mines tight! I've got just one maroon twelve-coach rake of Bachmanns and that took some saving up for. Otherwise, I've Thompsons that require flush-glazing, etc, and Hornby Gresleys that lack the proper tumble-home (etc.) To make secondary rakes - including mixed - I'll happily use the Railroad, maybe more weathered. And, to my eye, the roof-top panel-joints don't look like they need chiselling off the way the Bachmanns do - and that is one hell of a boring, neck-breaking job.

It's not too hard modelling a branch-line/terminus, whatever, loco and stock-wise, but the ECML is harder on the pocket, particularly if you are concentrating on engines as, I suppose, many of us do.

Tony.

EDIT: And I'm willing to bet that sometime or other, Hatton's will do some special offers that make long rakes more doable...

Spot on Tony. I shudder to think of the expense I've incurred on Bachmann MK1's, and if I were starting now I would most definitely see if Hornby's effort could be made to look the part without too much effort. The roof ribs by the way are not too obtrusive, so I would leave well alone. I've found over the years that Bachmann's have been reduced, and that actually makes it more difficult to get rid of them without damaging the roof, as there is less plastic to work with. I use a very small and cheap scewdriver which I've converted into a chisel.

As you say, when modelling long trains any viable means of cutting costs can only be a good thing, especially if it means that a project becomes possible when otherwise it would have had to be postponed or shelved.

Thanks for posting the mixed rake Gilbert - Very impressive they would seem to me. I have handled one but a picture in a rake helps. Removing roof ribs and a replacing the molded toilet pipe run will bring it very quickly to Bachmann standards. To be honest though the it does seem to sit slightly lower and arguably better than the Bachmann version 

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

Holes in the smokebox in usual B1 nameplates position .

Forgot to say Cracking pictures as usual.

61113 wasn't named though. in the 611xx series only 61189 was named apparently, Sir William Gray. None of the photographs of 61113 that I can find on line show any evidence of her having been named either.

• RMweb Gold

61113 wasn't named though. in the 611xx series only 61189 was named apparently, Sir William Gray. None of the photographs of 61113 that I can find on line show any evidence of her having been named either.

My 1961/2 Combined Volume agrees with you - no name. But I think the point that is being made is that the loco in the pic has the holes in the side of the smokebox where a nameplate would be attached.

I hope this works, because I'm new to this sort of thing - adding pictures I mean. 

Since Gilbert posted pictures on this thread of Hornby's RailRoad Mk.1s, viewers might be interested in some 'studio' shots of a couple of them.

I'll be conducting a full review of these cars for BRM in the near future, and later showing how to achieve some 'improvements'. I can confirm that the glazing is as flush as Bachmann's (though both have a slight 'halo' around the edges), the roof ribs are nowhere near as prominent, though they're still too prominent - exactly how subtle the weld marks are on a Mk.1 roof is perfectly shown in the latest issue of BRILL, on page 118 (I've got an article in it as well; sorry for the plug). The wheels, though true round, are plastic with with very deep flanges, end handrails and water fillers are only moulded-on and the livery is 'compromised' by the omission of route status and solebar data. That said, the livery is well-applied (the lining is finer than Bachmann's) and the overall proportions have been well-captured. They 'sit' very well, too - something not always apparent on RTR carriages. Give or take, they're going to be in the region of £5.00 - £10.00 cheaper than Bachmann's, which will be a factor in some folk's choice. However, fitting metal wheels will add to the cost (though I've had to change proprietary metal wheels on many occasions), but a few hours' work (fitting separate handrails if you wish, adding transfers, etc) should produce most reasonable models. At close inspection, perhaps not a showcase model, but in a rake (as I hope to eventually show) of up to 13 cars, well? 

post-18225-0-53782000-1385395535_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-80189500-1385395588_thumb.jpg

For interest, I've also added a picture of a Mk.1 BSK in current service; taken last Saturday at Creeton.

Apologies if the above is a little off topic, but as 'layout coaches', and Peterborough North needs a lot of those, with that little bit of work I'm sure they'll be quite acceptable.  

post-18225-0-00816200-1385395530_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I agree.   Obviously a change of identity.   What was the donor loco ?

Stuart

Back in the dim and distant past....... Wildebeeste I believe. This is the kind of thing I tend to forget - filling in little holes - though I'm sure I've seen a photo somewhere of an unnamed B1 with holes in exactly the same places. Did Doncaster, or other works, bother filling in the securing holes when boilers were transferred during general overhauls? Not when 61113 got this boiler obviously. :jester:

• Like 1

The layout is looking fantastic and it looks like the Hornby Mk.1's will provide a great way to increase the numbers of coaches at a reasonable price. I haven't ready too much about them, but two things that spring to mind are: 1. Do Hornby do the BSO that is missing from the Bachmann range? and 2. are the coupling pockets at the 'correct' pocket height as defined in the standards?

And to me - annoying isn't it...!

And me!

But I found a possible cause, in my case at least: the left-click button below the vile touch-pad on my lap-top is worn. Sometimes it needs more pressure for slightly longer to work. I understand this can cause a repeated signal under certain circumstances, particularly when up-loading images. I was having a lot of trouble and discussed this with Andy Y. and this seemed likely. It still happens but now I'm more used to editing the URLs. So long as you track the ends of each line it is doable, even to a non-PC savvy fool like me.

Tony.

EDIT! to clarify ( in case anyone is as dumb as me) The image code will be repeated. Delete one of them without interfering with the other.

Edited by Brass0four