Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I like to be seated, with a fresh brew and ideally a plain chocolate hobnob.  Does that help?

More wagons, please.  Stretching off into the distance like that is ideal.

Seated, yup. Fresh brew, yup. Plain Choc Hobnob? Ummmmm, not so sure :drag: . Maybe a/some Hales/Lyons Individual Fruit Pie/s instead?

Quack

Five black marks each on your record for being deliberately obtuse. That duck's record is now looking quite formidable.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, it's an age thing IMO.

Anyhow, are we getting any Christmas Specials through PN? Were there any to Lincoln Christmas Market back in those 'heady days'?

P

No Christmas specials, and no snow. It is always summer time on my layout. I'd have to do yet another new sequence for the Winter timetable, and it would need different train formations. An excursion to sunny Hunstanton is the best you are likely to get.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

-- As a currently non-active modeller I expect to be advised to 'Pipe down.',  to 'Put you money .... .' and suchlike;  alright, I'll accept such replies, but will suggest a look-at the first photo. of posting 5074 - the 'O2. held at signals ... .' and shall reply with "One picture ... .".

- 'Why?' you might be asking.

- "Because it illustrates perfectly one of my pet peeves with 00 Gauge." - specifically the resemblance of the tread/tyre-width of the leading wheels in particular  to 'slicks.' on racing cars and on similar vehicles.

- For the following coupled wheels, wch. are not so obvious,  one might allow such matters to be acceptable - especially as mostly they're used to effect the electrical connections between track & locomotive where extra width - especially for gauge-widening, gaps in crossings and suchlike - could be helpful in maintaining electrical connectivity.

-- Am I correct in believing that there are no agreed-upon & accurate specifications and/or standards for the common-or-garden 00 gauge;  even Bachmann & Hornby - two of the largest off-the-shelf- providers of modellers - haven't agreed-upon common B2B., depth of flange etc. etc. measurements,  or so I gather from reading various postings here in RM Web.

-- Dons armour-plated Y-Fronts, grabs tin hat and hunkers-down in the nearest foxhole

--  :-)

I agree with you. I winced when I saw how wide the leading wheels looked, in fact I nearly binned the photo for that reason. I also agree with Richard E's post below though. The camera can be absolutely brutal. I remember seeing one of TW's Stoke Summit photos, and his comment about how some angles show up 00 wheels very cruelly. It is probably advisable to avoid head on shots I think.

• Like 1

Blimey!  I have a couple of days out, and look what happens. I shall try to respond individually, but it may take some time. Anyway, on Wednesday I spent a few relaxing hours watching trains go by at Little Bytham, though I had to leave early because my batteries expired. Yesterday was more golf in a stately setting, Belton Park this time. Right now I'm awaiting delivery of a parcel containing something very nice indeed. It's supposed to be here before 1.00pm. Pictures to follow if it actually arrives.

Gilbert,

I know you have 3 established Lincolnshire residents amongst your friends (One a true Yellowbelly  :jester: ) but crossing the County Line unannounced is taking a few liberties  :nono: . And so close to Bettsingham Grange at Belton Park indeed.

It's a good job it's near to Xmas tha'ts all I can think.  :laugh:

Seriously though GN have a smashing Xmas and a Happy & Prosperous New Year.  Which you will need with J11's, K1's & D16's to purchase in 2014 ish.

Regards,Derek.

PS maybe O2/2 & O2/3's as well.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What a box; a true Christmas Box. 

Splendid year Gilbert; thanks for your entertainment, kindness, tolerance, quips and friendship.

To you and all on this thread, have a lovely Christmas and may 2014 be as pleasant as this last year has been at Peterborough North.

Phil

• Like 1

That looks stunning Gilbert.

Was good to see you on Tuesday, will get myself down to see you in the New Year.

Have a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

Tom

• Like 1

Nice box, but......

If we are being pedantic, (and we usually are on here, aren't we?), the clock is forever set at five past eleven, so the train service is going to be pretty boring now. We can only have two trains a day.

I suppose we could find a tiny working clock.......?

The final shot of the signalbox from under the overbridge shows Peters magic, as the subtle weathering on the brickwork and bricked-up windows makes the structure look like it belongs in that place. And what a neat Xmas pressy to oneself.

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas Gilbert. :imsohappy:

That looks stunning Gilbert.

Was good to see you on Tuesday, will get myself down to see you in the New Year.

Have a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

Tom

I echo what Tom has said.

I am already looking forward to 2014.........................especially as it makes my retirement closer!

First may I wish you a very Merry Christmas Gilbert.

Well done to the Royal Mail (and Peter) for the safe arrival of such a slender item as that beautiful signalbox, especially at this time of year. I agree with Larry that the view of the box from beneath the road overbridge is stunning. I've tweaked the picture very slightly if you don't mind. Who needs trains when you create a view such as that?

But of course you must be delighted by Hornby's forthcoming releases.

Regards,

(another) Peter

post-6880-0-23046400-1387618041.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Nice box, but......

If we are being pedantic, (and we usually are on here, aren't we?), the clock is forever set at five past eleven, so the train service is going to be pretty boring now. We can only have two trains a day.

I suppose we could find a tiny working clock.......?

It's OK Jeff, the Stationmaster (no, not that one), has lent the signalman his chronometer. And anyway, how do you know the clock doesn't work? :jester:  That nice Mr Leyland is a very clever fellow.

You are happy with just abox for Xmas......?

Stewart :jester:

If it looks like that one, definitely!

• RMweb Premium

First may I wish you a very Merry Christmas Gilbert.

Well done to the Royal Mail (and Peter) for the safe arrival of such a slender item as that beautiful signalbox, especially at this time of year. I agree with Larry that the view of the box from beneath the road overbridge is stunning. I've tweaked the picture very slightly if you don't mind. Who needs trains when you create a view such as that?

But of course you must be delighted by Hornby's forthcoming releases.

Regards,

(another) Peter

Many thanks Peter, and best wishes for the season to you also. I confess I was too idle to sort out the background by the time I got to that photo. :nono:  As to the new releases, yes I'm delighted that classes such as these are now recognised as being worthy of consideration, especially by Hornby. I already have two D16's though, so can I justify a third? The K1 would be another loco more likely to be seen on the Midland side, and the nearest J15's were at March specifically for the Wisbech harbour branch, so really I shouldn't include them either. Having said that, I do genuinely want to encourage the manufacturers to produce locos like this, so I shall support them by buying them, and that, for once, is not just an excuse to feed locoholism.

I echo what Tom has said.

I am already looking forward to 2014.........................especially as it makes my retirement closer!

You lazy sod, keep working,paying taxes and leave BUSking until your older.The likes of Mallard,Myself & Gilbert need you lot to work a damn sight harder to pay your taxes and keep us Senior People in the manor we can survive on.

Merry Xmas and a Happy & Prosperous New Year to you and your family Grahame.

In fact after hijacking Gilbert's thread may I wish all my friends and perceived enemies a Merry Xmas and a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year, with great modelling for 2014.

I'm dreaming of a C12  67352  for 2014 :no:

Kindest Regards,Derek.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If my beak would allow it I'd laugh at that one Cutler! I should, however, point out that for reasons I can not explain I am still working 'half time' (yes I know you all thought I'd told them to **** ***; long story and very boring) and so I suppose I'm paying my own pension; weird :rtfm:   Actually it is a clever ploy as SWMBO retired earlier this year and is now around far more of the time. By working early mornings and a bit in the late afternoon I have an escape excuse :smoke: I can also claim to be suffering from exhaustion (due to age) and so have only had to redecorate the kitchen (so far). The layout has also managed to remain erected for the last four weeks too; he,he.

Nothing you lot need to worry about though so I'll leave you all to get stuck into the Hales/Lyons Individual Mince Pies and Hot Chocolate.

Quack.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If my beak would allow it I'd laugh at that one Cutler! I should, however, point out that for reasons I can not explain I am still working 'half time' (yes I know you all thought I'd told them to **** ***; long story and very boring) and so I suppose I'm paying my own pension; weird :rtfm:   Actually it is a clever ploy as SWMBO retired earlier this year and is now around far more of the time. By working early mornings and a bit in the late afternoon I have an escape excuse :smoke: I can also claim to be suffering from exhaustion (due to age) and so have only had to redecorate the kitchen (so far). The layout has also managed to remain erected for the last four weeks too; he,he.

Nothing you lot need to worry about though so I'll leave you all to get stuck into the Hales/Lyons Individual Mince Pies and Hot Chocolate.

Quack.

The Mallards round our way think they have done well if they get a few soggy breadcrumbs and a lump of stale cake.

Wait till I tell them that their cousin is on Hot Chocolate and Mince Pies, they will be round your place in no time.

Listen out for the sound of flapping wings.......

Tony 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry but I have to agree with BrushVeteran. 2014b is a year nearer drawing my state pension and I am looking forward to so doing even though it is wishing away my time on this planet. 40 years of work has taken it's toll and the last 9 have seen commuting getting harder in some ways so time for myself will be welcomed.