Peterborough North

great northern

Guest Tom F

All the best for tomorrow GIlbert. I'm sure all will be fine!

The new buildings are simply stunning, Hats of to Gravy Train, the brick colour and weathering are just perfect. It could easily be real! :O

At least you know your scratch built shed is going to a good home instead of the bin! :lol:

• Like 1

Fantastic work by Gravy Train as usual. I just removed your bookshelves while you were is hospital..... :P

post-6680-0-43323900-1330942426.jpg

That is excellent work. This layout has to be one of the most inspirational that I have seen for a long time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You will gather that I am home and that all went well. Can't wear my glasses at present, as I have a mask over my left eye, so I apologise for any typos.

First and foremost thanks to all who wished me well, it is very much appreciated. It's remarkable what can be done these days - five hours at the hospitall including recovery time, 20 odd minutes for the operation itself, and already I can tell there is a big improvement. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Glad to hear your op went well and as you say, the fact that you can post on here is testament to the treatment available nowadays. It's probably a relief to find out that you haven't been 'typing' on a chopping board whilst staring at the microwave, waiting for replies ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hope today goes ok.

Dont know the area whats the story behind the Arcade wall ?

I thoght someone might ask about that. Originally there was a subsiduary overall roof covering most of bay Platforms 4 and 5. At some point in the early to mid '50's most of it disappeared, and the end of the wall suddenly looked as it does on the photos. Nothing at all was then done to tidy things up until the whole station was redeveloped twenty years later. Gravy Train and I discussed this yeterday, and we decided that the most likely explanation is that a very high wind ripped off some or most of the roof, and caused the damage to the last bay. At that time there was talk of the ECML being electrified in 1963, so perhaps someone took the view that it wasn't worth spending money to do more than patch it up.

It was a real eyesore, but someone decided it was acceptable. The other big question for me is why did someone then decide to draw attention to the mess by painting the side facing platform 6 in that way? There just seems to be no logic to it at all. Incidentally most of the supporting columns on the platform 3 side were also left in situ, damaged in some way though they were. They were just used as ad hoc lamp brackets! I'm still considering whether to incorporate that into the model. Although it would be prototypically correct it might well just look completely wrong in model form. That is certainly the advice of my good friend and excellent modeller Tetleys. There was one small piece of the roof remaining, right at the buffer stop ends, and that will be added to the model shortly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic work by Gravy Train as usual. I just removed your bookshelves while you were is hospital..... :P

post-6680-0-43323900-1330942426.jpg

That wasn't too hard Larry, given that they are at the other end. :no: :jester: Very nice sky though, and no protuberances in the background either.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having managed to prop my glasses on the end of my nose, I thought a few words of explanation regarding that signal that has appeared on the Down platform might be in order. Here's a couple of photos to illustrate why it was there, and in such an unusual form.

post-98-0-99466200-1330957170_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-14436900-1330957227_thumb.jpg

Having taken these, I now find that I can't see well enough to judge whether the first one in particular achieves it's purpose. Anyway, the signal was there to deal with sighting problems that would otherwise be caused by the overall roof. It was a "one off" to suit the location, and for some reason had an NER arm. The use of zoom on the second shot has created some funny effects, sorry.

I suspect it is now time I gave my eye some rest!

• Like 9

You will gather that I am home and that all went well. Can't wear my glasses at present, as I have a mask over my left eye, so I apologise for any typos.

That's great news Gilbert - are we going to have to call you 'Barnacles Barnatt the pirate' now?

Love the new stuff by Peter!

• Like 1

I managed to teleport into Gilbert's layout room to take this picture, which includes his new signal :mosking:

I had to Photoshop the book shelves, of course

Andy

post-6509-0-45171100-1330959172.jpg

Edited by andyrush
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I thoght someone might ask about that. Originally there was a subsiduary overall roof covering most of bay Platforms 4 and 5. At some point in the early to mid '50's most of it disappeared, and the end of the wall suddenly looked as it does on the photos. Nothing at all was then done to tidy things up until the whole station was redeveloped twenty years later. Gravy Train and I discussed this yeterday, and we decided that the most likely explanation is that a very high wind ripped off some or most of the roof, and caused the damage to the last bay. At that time there was talk of the ECML being electrified in 1963, so perhaps someone took the view that it wasn't worth spending money to do more than patch it up.

It might be worthwhile noting here that in the late 1950s some enabling works for electrification were actually taking place on the ECML with some overbridges being rebuilt to ohle clearances so possibly there was a thought that work might be even closer than you suggest?

• Like 2