Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert,

I've been considering your latest dilema concerning lighting and those intrusive book shelves and have worked out a solution.

During my next visit we'll survey your loft, I think without windows and vertical walls (no book cases) it could be the ideal location for Peterborough North.

Your opinion please. (On a self addressed envelope)

Dave

Gilbert,

please let us all in on the reply to "Tetley's" highly inventive comment on a location. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

I always thought "Ladas" was an unfortunate name...especially whem pronounced the southern way. :lol:

The LNER pacifics tended to have some very atmospheric names, if you discount the birds, people and places.

Think "Blink Bonny", "Sunstar", "Hal O' the Wynd".........among many others.

Quite agree Jeff, though I love some of the bird names as well. OK, one or two Pacific names were a bit inappropriate, but as a whole a lot more interesting and imaginative than hundreds of Halls, not to mention Granges and Manors. :jester: Good job the LMS didn't try to find names for all the Black Fives. :O

• RMweb Premium

im pretty sure you will have seen this one already Gilbert, but just in case..

6788951320_4942484d4f_b.jpg

1962 - 'Streak' at Peterborough.. by rgadsdon, on Flickr

No, I hadn't seen this one Michael, and I'm grateful, as the loco hasn't quite got far enough to obscure the water tower by Cresecnt Bridge, as has happened in every other shot I've seen from this angle. I'll have to think about including that again now, which is no hardship given the standard of the one Gravy Train has just delivered.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Bit of useless history. My Dad and I used to catch the 06:00 stopping train from Grimsby at New Waltham, get off at Louth, have a coffee (sorry tea in those days), wait for the 07:00 semie express (stopped at Willeby, Firsby, Boston and Spalding) to Peterborough and then non stop to Kings Cross. Less frustrating than the all stopper you reference. This practice gteed a seat at Peterborough and there was a restaurant car so we could have a "proper" breakfast on the train.

History is never useless, particularly where the steam railway is concerned. I love to hear reminiscences about those days, so keep them coming please. Actually, those Cleethorpes - KX trains were the source of most of my ECML trips as a boy. My aunt in Boston, 97 now and still going strong, used to take my younger brother and I to London once a year as a treat, catching the 0900 train Up and returning on the early evening Down service. We were far more interested in the train journeys than the Zoo or Buckingham Palace or whatever we were taken to see. :rolleyes: It seems unbelievable now, but once you got South of Hitchin it was absolutely impossible to get the number of every loco you saw- there were just far too many.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I've been considering your latest dilema concerning lighting and those intrusive book shelves and have worked out a solution.

During my next visit we'll survey your loft, I think without windows and vertical walls (no book cases) it could be the ideal location for Peterborough North.

Your opinion please. (On a self addressed envelope)

Dave

Thanks Dave. How about if we then build in loads of unreachable track, a couple of double junctions that foul up operating, and have a totally different track layout but still call it Peterborough anyway?

I have an alternative solution. Why don't we just move the ****** bookcases up into the loft? Won't need a survey, we can just get going with it now you have so kindly offered. Next Wednesday OK? Shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks, and it's going to be far too wet for building walls anyway.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It seems unbelievable now, but once you got South of Hitchin it was absolutely impossible to get the number of every loco you saw- there were just far too many.

I once carted a 'portable tape recorder' (about the size of a suitcase) around on a spotting trip to York and it was hopeless. I just couldn't talk fast enough going up the ECML and passing depots except for what I think must have been New England! Then It was almost all Dub Dees when I replayed it. A*se.

Lovely photo of that Streak.

P @ 36E

I always thought "Ladas" was an unfortunate name...especially whem pronounced the southern way. :lol:

Actually Jeff, Gilbert and I have a little in joke about this loco's name, when pronounced in the southern way, as it perfectly describes a mutual friend!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those of you with long memories and plenty of staying power may recall that some time ago I tried to reproduce this prototype photo, which is copyright of Andrew C Ingram, and not to be reproduced.Well here is the latest effort. Usual problem, no wide angle lens, camera has bent the signal in the foreground, and all the compromises and compression built into the layout are cruelly shown up.Not to mention the b*****bookcases.

post-98-0-11372100-1335366213_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-57584000-1335366427_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

While doing some research for my layout, I came across a picture (Eastern Steam in Colour by Hugh Ballantyne) that might (or might not) be appropriate to model since it is a little unusual. Specifically a WD 2-8-0 on a 4 coach Mk1 maroon passenger train in May 1962. It is described as being on the down ECML at Werrington troughs north of Peterborough so one has to assume it came through or started at Peterborough North. I would try to post the picture but I am not sure of the copywrite issues.

• RMweb Premium

The system won't allow me to reply to a particular post at the moment, so first thanks Theakerr for the reference to the photo of the WD. I do have that book, and I believe that the caption states that it was an ECS working. It's another of those "could do it, but rare as hen's teeth" scenarios. It would be a nice one to run at an exhibition, with the photo ready to hand to shoot down the pedant in flames when he commented.

Next, many thanks to those who have commented favourably on the Deltic attempt. I do get frustrated as you well know by my present inability to photoshop out the bits I don't want, but also by the fact that I can't get an exact reproduction. I know it ain't possible for more than one reason, but it still niggles me. And I don't have any emoticons either.

• RMweb Premium

More trains run at last, and we are now well into the evening,with the light definitely beginning to fade. That's fortunate as there is precious little of it today. First to appear is Great Central with the 6.08pm Bradford - KX, which is not booked to stop here.

post-98-0-81877800-1335541502_thumb.jpg

It has been brought to a standstill though, and the driver will not be best pleased to see that he's been held while the station pilot propels the stock of an earlier arrival to a carriage siding.

post-98-0-55420900-1335541681_thumb.jpg

The A1 has gone on its way, and next on the Up is a Boston K2 with a Class F working from its home town to Peterborough East.

post-98-0-78392400-1335541807_thumb.jpg

I do like K2's. so here are a couple more shots.

post-98-0-90764000-1335541961_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-32486600-1335542039_thumb.jpg

Then we see an Immingham B1 crossing over from the engine road to back onto the stock of the last stopper of the day for Grimsby.

post-98-0-37110200-1335542094_thumb.jpg

Everything is happening on the Up line at the moment, next being a Lincoln K3 with a Grimsby - KX parcels. It's quiet enough now for it to be allowed to stand at Platform 2 for ten minutes without holding anything else up. And I've just noticed the tender is derailed. :mad:

post-98-0-93199500-1335542256_thumb.jpg

I have to say that I get increasing enjoyment from this sort of mundane working. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the express services, but this really was the life blood of the old railway. Another Pacific next though. as Sir Walter Scott crosses to the Down side after which it will reverse into the bay to await the arrival of the Colchester- Edinburgh service.

post-98-0-23642400-1335542568_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-96086500-1335542737_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-33805100-1335542799_thumb.jpg

Nice to see that everything seems to be working normally again, including emoticons. :) They are in a different order though....

Edited by great northern
  • Like 11

Hi Gilbert

Nice to see some more photos of PN, just one question, wasn't the final destination of the Colchester service Glasgow rather than Edinburgh? Looking at the Carriage working book I have it shows 4 passenger coaches(6 on FO) and no less than 8 BG's

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Nice to see some more photos of PN, just one question, wasn't the final destination of the Colchester service Glasgow rather than Edinburgh? Looking at the Carriage working book I have it shows 4 passenger coaches(6 on FO) and no less than 8 BG's

Ian

Oh dear! Relying on memory again.Yes, Glasgow of course. :blush_mini: