Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert I think you should outsource your golf games to a willing bod then you can give us more pics. (That bod can also then spend most of the day cursing and searching for his balls :beee: )

Sincerely

Sandy Wedge.

Good idea. There's a bloke called Woods who doesn't seem to be doing much these days. I must correct you on one point though. I did not lose any golf balls on Saturday. I didn't hit them far enough for them to get lost. :blush:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to say how good the 'Spaceship' looks. I remember overtaking loads of these on the ECML on long trains of what were probably iron ore wagons not so far from Grantham (except for the van trains of course).

P @ 36E

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

not sure if you've seen this one Gilbert, thought it would be of interest.

c.05/1969 - Peterborough. by 53A Models, on Flickr

Indeed it is thanks, particularly as it shows a nice piece of modernisation, in the shape of mid 20th century replacement lamps on top of the same old Victorian posts!

• Like 2

Guest Belgian

Apologises for going OT, but is that a Southern snowplough on the right? I'm aware that the Southern used ex Schools Class tenders as the basis for their snowploughs and the tender in the pic looks a lot like a Schools Class one to me.

I don't think it's a Schools tender, they had solid coal space sides. It looks Great Northern to me, the three coal rails look similar to those on the early A1 tenders, but on a smaller 6 wheeler. Perhaps it's an ex-Atlantic one?

JE

• RMweb Premium

Right, done the gardening, set up the aquarium, so we can get back to the railway. Sunday saw another visit from Gravy Train, and another addition to the scene. No, not the overall roof yet, that's still about six weeks away, it was this delightfully ramshackle coaling stage.

post-98-0-31564700-1337707727_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-90180100-1337707758_thumb.jpg

This now nearly completes the nice cameo to the North of the station on the Up side - I just have to finish off the water crane and do a bit of detailing.

Next we have another observation test. What is new in this shot?

post-98-0-44661100-1337715279_thumb.jpg

Now I know I said I didn't need more locos, but I recently became aware that a member of the Wolverhampton club was selling all his 00 stuff, a lot of which runs on Stoke Summit. Well, the prices were really good, I mean it's a bargain, innit? Can't turn down a bargain, can you? So, the following have moved to Peterborough.

post-98-0-37212100-1337715540_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-08132000-1337715583_thumb.jpg

Both V2's are Pro Scale, and I definitely need more of those. Tim will be renumbering them, as they are GC engines as they stand. The next one leaves me on dodgy ground, as I can't claim to need more A3's. Very nice though, don't you think? This one is DJH, and a Grantham engine so no identity change required.

post-98-0-99109700-1337715779_thumb.jpg

Finally for now, Tim is here for a couple of days and is doing some jobs I either don't fancy or don't think I can do well enough. He's giving some A4's a coat of Klear, which I reckon makes the Hornby green look a lot better. First one completed is Dominion of New Zealand, very recently ex works and specially prepared to work the Elizabethan. The pictures tell the story. They also show the lighting peculiarities again. Just look at the walls! They are duck egg blue, but there are about six different colours on these shots. I'm very pleased with the A4, it really looks the part.

post-98-0-34459500-1337716163_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-57718000-1337716183_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Nice to see the engines in their new home!

All the recent transfers to Peterborough North were originally built by Allen Hammet, I recall that he built three Proscale V2s at once and moaned like hell about how badly they fitted together, but he managed a very tidy job as always. I changed the tenders on the V2s for RTR ones as the originals were the low fronted ones and not suitable for these engines. I managed to re-do my weathering and blend the new tenders in. I can't remember what green Allen originally used, I'm sure it used to vary with age and grime in any case. Pity you're not keeping the numbers Gilbert, As I'm sure I've seen pics of the GC engines on the ECML - probably after shopping I guess.

Regards

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Lovely, I like the V2s (but then I would, given my username...), but 60831 and Flying Fox have both suffered derailments there!

Yes, I despair on that point. I thought I had taken great care to rail them up properly, but that ******* rear pony truck defeated me again. I never notice when setting up the shot for some reason. I think it's a sign of advancing age that getting all the wheels of a Pacific on track becomes increasingly challenging. It's not just me that is affected either, but I won't mention any names.

Thanks to Network Rail's signalling system deciding to go pop, my return from Gilbert's has been a little later than planned. Nonetheless, I have a trio of images from this morning where I was able to take full advantage of the available sunlight (and boy has it been hot in there today!) and grab a few on camera.

First up is 60966, one of the newly acquired V2s. This one slightly defeated me thanks to the motor not being entirely conducive to being DCC'd. Hopefully I shall be able to formulate a plan and come up with something in the fullness of time. This one was formerly 60915

post-6712-0-59375700-1337808164_thumb.jpg

Looking good but the green changes from pic to pic. Is this a side effect of the lighting in the room? Or are they actually different greens?

This is one of those things about Hornby's rendition of BR green that still runs and runs. I've tried to get the camera's white balance almost right with regard to what the morning sun could get of these two A4s. I do much prefer Bachmann's interpretation of green on most of their stock, especially the most recent which I do think is absolutely spot on. EDIT: click the images to view the colour better, which I'd not noticed on posting.... Strange!

post-6712-0-63691300-1337808108_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-94993900-1337808138_thumb.jpg

Both the above have been given 2-3 coats of Johnson's Klear, which really does make a vast difference. I've also painted the wheelsets to get rid of the blackened metal rims, which I've never been a fan of. A spot of paint works absolute wonders.

Plenty to get on with before my next visit, including a rather nice 2-8-0....... :)

Edited by Tim
  • Like 10

Tim I'm convinced of the suitablity of Klear after seeing these and the Coronation on Saturday. I have a suspicion that the cab roofs were completely black and the 1928 corridor tenders were black to the beading?

I could be wrong though...

Edited by davidw

Tim I'm convinced of the suitablity of Klear after seeing these and the Coronation on Saturday.

It does make an utterly staggering difference doesn't it. I even managed to convince Phil Hall of the merits of it at the weekend. It took a bit of persuasion....... :scratchhead:

I have a suspicion that the cab roofs were completely black and the 1928 corridor tenders were black to the beading?

You know, I've long thought that myself, but I need to check books first. If it is indeed so, I'll be sorting out some black paint where necessary next time round.

Cheers!

Edited by Tim

• RMweb Premium

Tim I'm convinced of the suitablity of Klear after seeing these and the Coronation on Saturday. I have a suspicion that the cab roofs were completely black and the 1928 corridor tenders were black to the beading?

I've checked such colour photos as I can find, which do very strongly suggest that the cabs were indeed completely black. The tender question is more difficult, as most photos seem to be front three quarter shots, and even on those were the tender is clearly seen there is always some coal dust escaping down the tender side, so I'm not sure whether it's black paint or just weathering. I should know the answer to this anyway, but I can't remember. TW could settle it immediately if he was around.

• Like 1

Guest Tom F

I've checked such colour photos as I can find, which do very strongly suggest that the cabs were indeed completely black. The tender question is more difficult, as most photos seem to be front three quarter shots, and even on those were the tender is clearly seen there is always some coal dust escaping down the tender side, so I'm not sure whether it's black paint or just weathering. I should know the answer to this anyway, but I can't remember. TW could settle it immediately if he was around.

Tim and I discussed this quite a bit when he was doing the repaint of 60113. I think Tim consulted a couple of people including Mr Roy Jackson, and the consensus seemed to be for BR Blue anyhow that above the beading was painted black, 60007 current livery shows this too, but obviously preserved examples shouldn't be used for period liveries I would think. Of course alterations may have come once the whole Express Passenger fleet went BR Green.

Anyhow Gilbert you are far more researched on this matter than I. I'd say go with what you feel is right, which I'm sure will be pretty much accurate. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No....I'm not jealous in the slightest.... :ireful:

;)

I'm relieved to hear that Tom - here's another one then, with it's new identity, and I'm almost certain all wheels on track.

post-98-0-36037100-1337972219_thumb.jpg

This one, together with Flying Fox is now DCC fitted, and ready to earn its keep. The other V2, as Tim has said, is more problematic, but two out of three wasn't a bad result at all.

• Like 8

Guest Tom F

I'm relieved to hear that Tom - here's another one then, with it's new identity, and I'm almost certain all wheels on track.

post-98-0-36037100-1337972219_thumb.jpg

This one, together with Flying Fox is now DCC fitted, and ready to earn its keep. The other V2, as Tim has said, is more problematic, but two out of three wasn't a bad result at all.

Oh Gilbert....you are making a grown man weep! Lovely tapered boiler. How it shows up Bachmann's latest offering......they really have missed the trick!

• Like 1

Regarding A4 tenders,the 1928 ones were painted black above the beading.I worked on them from cleaner to fireman on occasions,and would stake my life on it;in BR green ,of course. The later built tenders ,without beading,were green all the way up.

I keep following this wonderful PN.model:brilliant!

Regards,Roy.

• Like 2