Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Here is that nice new Bachmann V2, straight out of the box.

post-98-0-54485600-1339595974_thumb.jpg

Next is the old one, as produced save for number change and weathering.

post-98-0-47335700-1339596009_thumb.jpg

then we have a sort of half way house, new chimney and dome, fixed Cartazzi and Ian Rathbone paint job.

post-98-0-12514100-1339596144_thumb.jpg

And finally the really expensive option - Proscale.

post-98-0-76535800-1339596227_thumb.jpg

Any comments?

Edited by great northern
  • Like 12

Guest Tom F

Oh I see....you issue me with a yellow card......and then stick a load of V2 photos up just make me feel even worse! :nono:

Guest Tom F

Just helping you to make an informed choice Tom, that's all.

What is interesting...maybe I'm saying the most sacrilegious thing ever , but the Bachmann V2 doesn't look too bad in your photos, the most noticeable thing being the bulbous smokebox.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

Here is that nice new Bachmann V2, straight out of the box.

post-98-0-54485600-1339595974_thumb.jpg

Next is the old one, as produced save for number change and weathering.

post-98-0-47335700-1339596009_thumb.jpg

then we have a sort of half way house, new chimney and dome, fixed Cartazzi and Ian Rathbone paint job.

post-98-0-12514100-1339596144_thumb.jpg

And finally the really expensive option - Proscale.

post-98-0-76535800-1339596227_thumb.jpg

Any comments?

That's not as bad I thought it was going to be - the chassis has improved things. I do wish Bachmann had gone the same way as Hornby on Cartazzi's, so we'd see more relief. Thanks for posting

Edited by davidw

Much as the ProScale one is indeed the more expensive route to a V2 (or at least, was), it is indeed the most "V2-like" of the lot. There's too much of polishing the proverbial turd on the Bachmann one, much as the paint job and replacement fittings are indeed an improvement. You still have the boiler, smokebox door and cab causing the eye heartache on it.

The real view to see on 60862 (and indeed 60966) is a decent front 3/4 from rail level where you really see the difference. That's my opinion anyway! :)

• Like 1

Tim is right that the Pro Scale is the most accurate, but if you're on a budget, the new Bachmann V2 with the Rathbone ones chimney and dome looks like the way to go. I'm still in the camp that says the boiler outright needs replacing, but for a more reasonable portrayal and compromise against price...

In short, as above - you get what you pay for. But it doesn't look like much needs to be done to the new V2 to bring it up to a decent standard.

It's no Hornby B1, that's for certain, and unlike the Bachmann B1, doesn't nail the proportions in all areas, but it's still the cheapest way to get a running V2 and in that sense, it's worth getting [for me].

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gentlemen for all the comments, which I found very interesting. Of course the new model still has several imperfections, but it is intriguing to see that I'm not the only one who has a sneaking feeling that it is at least a good step forward. We now have a superb chassis,much better looking and light years ahead in running quality, a vastly improved Cartazzi arrangement and a much improved loco to tender connection. That is a big step forward, and I think does make the body defects easier to overlook. I am certainly leaning towards getting some more as a comparatively cheap way of boosting the numbers of an essential class.

Looking at Ian Rathbone's paint job, it occurs to me that the boiler does look slimmer on that loco? Perhaps it is the far less prominent lining/boiler bands that help? It is apparently very easy to replace the chimney, so with a good weathering job to tone down the factory finish I reckon we do have a reliable and much improved model, which will respond to a bit more tweaking too. The glass is considerably more than half full, but let's hope that Bachmann decide that this loco should be an exception to their normal policy when it comes to upgrading the body, because they would be on to a real winner if they did.

• Like 2

Gilbert,

I've been looking at the profile of the V2's in your photo's. What is apparent (to me) is the overt curve on the smoke box door.

Perhaps just replacing the smokebox door (with that from an A3) would be enough to improve the model.

I've an old v2 which I'll try that on and report back

• Like 2

Guest Tom F

I'd be interested how you get on with that David. I hadn't thought it possible as the V2 boiler diameter is too wide, but If it works, this could be another nice mod! :)

Edited by Tom F

I seem to recall my mate John Houlden of Whistle Stop Models & Gamston Bank fame? :no: did an article for BRM that may or may not have been published yet on converting an A3 into a V2.

I will try to find the article or speak to Lord Houlden of Ranby at my earliest convenience. I know the Wright person :scratchhead: took some photographs. Of course the situation in "O" Gauge is very different as we are spoilt b y having the choice of two very good models from DJH & Finescale.

Kind Regards, Cutler.

PS:- Now to be known by "Great Northern" respectfully as "Junior" As I was only 12 in 1958. :jester:

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 2

Is the V2 boiler that much wider than, say, the china made tender drive A3 model Tom? I have a large amount of those smokebox doors lying around from various cut and shut projects and the possibility of throwing those into the mix is intriguing.

It's one of those I'll be trying later.

• Like 1

Not made the progess that I'd planned.

But the Hornby Smoke box door is smaller. Personnally I perfer it - but it tends to show up the inadequecies of the boiler - I'll try to get some photos' done.

Not made the progess that I'd planned.

But the Hornby Smoke box door is smaller. Personnally I perfer it - but it tends to show up the inadequecies of the boiler - I'll try to get some photos' done.

I have to admit David, that news doesn't come as any surprise to me. Is the discrepancy something in the region of 1-1.5mm? At least the replacement door will be somewhat flatter than the rather bizarre door Bachmann have on theirs!

Guest Tom F

No not as big a discrepancy as that Tim - it's quite passable. And being flatter improved the appearance alot

What type of smoke box door did you use David. The old margate one, or the current super detail one?