Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

One problem, is that j6 being driven and fired by ghosts?

I agree, it is a problem. That has to be balanced against another problem, over 100 locomotives. I'd love to get everything absolutely right, but practicality intervenes. At the moment I'm trying to make sure that every loco has lamps. I shudder to think how much that has cost so far, and I'm nowhere near finished. With most locos, lack of lamps is more visible than lack of crew, so that has priority. If and when I can contemplate crews, locos like the J6, where the absence of them is most obvious, will be the first to be manned. Mind you, don't I remember Tom F saying he would do some for me?

I think I have rather a lot of goods stock to deal with too. And more loco lifts............ And motorising the signals..........

• Like 1

Mind you, don't I remember Tom F saying he would do some for me?

I've not forgotten Gilbert. Once I've finished crews for Leaman Road what's left can go towards Peterborough North....although looking at things I might not have many figures left. Although if you have any figures to hand, when I next see you I will paint them up for you.

• Like 1

I agree, it is a problem. That has to be balanced against another problem, over 100 locomotives. I'd love to get everything absolutely right, but practicality intervenes.

*snip*

Hmmmm. 100 locos. 98 followers....

I hope he isn't offended, but it seems like a rather nice way of saying "thank you" to Gilbert, helping fill all those vacancies, and getting one's self immortalised on the footplate of one of RMWeb's star attractions at the same time, does't it? ;)

• Like 2

I suppose Gilbert could specify the crew, and some of us would be up to buying, painting and posting them to him?

If I can paint decent moustaches and beards on Subbuteo players, plus make them have different hairstyles, including an Afro top-knot and a pony tail, I reckon I'm up for it.

Then, each of us who provides could be immortalised in print here, saying which loco our crew is on........

What about it Gilbert?

• Like 1

Not really on topic but I couldn't resist it. Whilst browsing through NRM photos I came across this gem:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=liverpoolst&item=284

It depicts a nice shiny V2 in a publicity view at Essendine (it says). Now if the place is right, the loco should have been provided by New England, but their cleaning standards were presumably so bad that they had to draft in a March engine!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Privaledged as I am of seeing Peterborough North in the flesh so to speak I can defend Gilbert a little (but not too much!) Apart from all those lovely shiney named trains he does have an eclectic mix of less glamorous coaching stock and I like to watch the arrival of a local hauled by some equally less glamorous loco. However, he is guilty as charged of perhaps favouring big green engines with some funny names pulling 7 or 8 coaches, I cannot imagine why, I'm sure when Gilbert discovers the secret of levitation or otherwise manages to find storage for another dozen trains there will be some interesting goods consists. With Gilbert's agreement I for one would appreciate Andyrush's input on goods traffic.

Seven or eight coaches! Nine or ten I'll have you know. It is a fact that there were a lot of those long shiny expresses, so I have to model them. And the goods trains had to give way to them. :devil:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm only willing to be the driver on a March B17.....

OK, that's you booked. Very good and sensible choice, provided you don't mind a few bruises. There weren't many low mileage engines left by my period, and they did become rather rough riding didn't they?

• RMweb Premium

I suppose Gilbert could specify the crew, and some of us would be up to buying, painting and posting them to him?

If I can paint decent moustaches and beards on Subbuteo players, plus make them have different hairstyles, including an Afro top-knot and a pony tail, I reckon I'm up for it.

Then, each of us who provides could be immortalised in print here, saying which loco our crew is on........

What about it Gilbert?

If you nice people are prepared to save me, or Tom, some work, who am I to try to dissuade you? First come, first served, so make your choice quickly. And you can't all just be drivers. Someone has to do the shovelling.

• Like 1

What about it Gilbert?

Jeff P

I've heard of the bible being printed on a grain of rice or was it just The Lord's payer?

I'm sure you could model football players but I recommend you base them on those from Gilbert's 1958 period, they had to have another job in those days and I bet some were on the railways.

If you insist on the current Premier players I for one will be fascinated how you are going to cover each player's arm from finger tip to shoulder with tattoos?

There's Only One Rooney!

• RMweb Premium

Hey guys, I thought this was a joke! I can't believe that a number of people who I have never met would be prepared to offer to paint and supply figures for me. :O The generosity of people on here really does know no bounds.I did think of putting the names of people involved on the cab side of the loco they have "sponsored", but I fear it would not be possible to read it. Back to the 4mm scale Individual fruit pie problem I guess. Anyway, I am seriously bowled over by this. Many thanks to those who have offered.

Didn't they go through a period where drivers had little plates with their names on which they hung on the cab sides? I'm sure that's in Top Shed. Anyway, it'll give a whole new dimension to your photo captions - "Driver Shakespeare accelerates the down Leeds relief, cursing the leaking steam from the Thompson front end while driver Rush watches from the goods loop where he's been for the last forty minutes and wonders where he's taking the bogie bolsters he attached at Doncaster...."

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Better change my name then or things could get complicated.

e.g. "Driver Mallard, having adjusted his beak cap, grins manically as he accelerates the trusty WD 2.8.0. out of the sidings, ignoring speed restrictions, waving two fingers at the spotter on the platform (called Gilbert he seems to recall), who shouts that the front lamps are in the wrong place, there is no fire operative visible, the coupling at the front looks really weird, and there is no exhaust or 'orrible clonking sounds from the rods So onwards as he notches the snorting beast into a lurching, swaying and frightening surge south, in an attempt to avoid missing his snap break at Sandy and so that he can lean, in a casual manner, out of the cab as a 'streak' struggles (?) to overtake on the main with a load of coaches (ten we are told) from various sources.

P @ 36E

P.S. Please let me know if you want crew with or without cycle clips on overall legs bottoms and type of head gear (as hinted above, W.D. crew it must be); when he has been found, will fire operative be shovelling frantically or using the slack pipe to try to bring his mate out of the goods link red mist state that appears to have overcome him?

• Like 2

I doubt there'd be a 'driver Shakespeare' Gilbert highlighted the fact I can't even count beyond 8! I might manage on the end of a shovel though and knowing Gilbert and my leaning towards bacon butties during our meetings that shovel and a hot firebox might just come in handy.

• RMweb Premium

I doubt there'd be a 'driver Shakespeare' Gilbert highlighted the fact I can't even count beyond 8! I might manage on the end of a shovel though and knowing Gilbert and my leaning towards bacon butties during our meetings that shovel and a hot firebox might just come in handy.

Perhaps you'd be better suited to wheeltapping Dave, you have plenty of experience of hitting things with big hammers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. I have not forgotten to take my medication this morning so I expect that I will post in a sensible manner today :boast:

Although I quite like 'Scotsman' as it is an A3, I can't quite equate the really feeble and watery whistle that it had (and still has as far as I'm aware) having heard it many times in the last 30 years or so. Were all A3s so badly equipped?

Interesting video though with dear old Mr. P looking so young. By the way, Barnby Moor level Crossing 3 miles north of 36E my ar*e; it is Sutton Crossing.

Lovely to see Peterborough be it briefly, however it did give us the chance to see who did Gilbert's ballasting. Must have been bl**dy cold work though so I hope the Hales Individual Fruit Pies were heated up by Gilbert to go with the 'mash' for the gangers?

Sincerely, P @ 36E (Ward A, Cell 3)

Gilbert,

All this talk of loco crews is OK, but, are they on strike ? I've spent quite a boring day sitting on the platform waiting for some traffic to pass through, but not a thing has appeared. This takes me back to 1955 and the rail strike.

Stuart

• Like 1