Peterborough North

great northern

On a more serious note, today I was told that the polyp I had removed was totally benign, which is a considerable relief. Many thanks again to all of you who expressed concern and sympathy.

Very pleased and relieved to hear this Gilbert. Now, if they just find an effective treatment for your locoholism....

Glad the results came through clear Gilbert, that must be a great relief!

Very pleased and relieved to hear this Gilbert. Now, if they just find an effective treatment for your locoholism....

I'm sure once Gilbert has every class member of A1,A2,A3 and A4..... The condition will be cured :D

Oh god….. I hadn't thought of V2s..... :O :lol:

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

Fortuneately there is a Tablet on the market to stop this disease,but one of the side effects is CCAD.

Its a bit of a gamble as CCAD can involve triplets.

For the less well informed amongst the membership CCAD is actually Compulsive Coach Aquisition Disorder.

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad the results came through clear Gilbert, that must be a great relief!

I'm sure once Gilbert has every class member of A1,A2,A3 and A4..... The condition will be cured :D

Oh god….. I hadn't thought of V2s..... :O :lol:

Or B1's, B2's, B17's ,D11's,J6's,J15's,J69's,K2's,02's,04's,Midland 2P's......etc etc

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fortuneately there is a Tablet on the market to stop this disease,but one of the side effects is CCAD.

Its a bit of a gamble as CCAD can involve triplets.

For the less well informed amongst the membership CCAD is actually Compulsive Coach Aquisition Disorder.

Regards,Derek.

So, that must mean I'm suffering from......CLAD??? In which case I'm relieved that it's a Disorder rather than a Psychosis.

So, that must mean I'm suffering from......CLAD??? In which case I'm relieved that it's a Disorder rather than a Psychosis.

CLAD.....seems somewhat appropriate don't you think? ;)

• RMweb Premium

Well, yesterday this was delivered to me, with a request to review it for a magazine.

post-98-0-54675300-1322302235_thumb.jpg

The latest Bachmann A1, this time with sound. And my very generous remuneration for this review will be the loco. :happy_mini: Now, could this be the start of my treatment? Perhaps I am to be force fed with locos until I can take no more? I suppose it might work, so any volunteers to feed me a few more? :rofl_mini: :jester:

• Like 4

Well, yesterday this was delivered to me, with a request to review it for a magazine.

post-98-0-54675300-1322302235_thumb.jpg

The latest Bachmann A1, this time with sound. And my very generous remuneration for this review will be the loco. :happy_mini: Now, could this be the start of my treatment? Perhaps I am to be force fed with locos until I can take no more? I suppose it might work, so any volunteers to feed me a few more? :rofl_mini: :jester:

Mmmmmmm...Tasty! Didn't realise Bachmann's latest A1 was that close to release...those V2s wont be far behind then hopefully......Mr Easter has twisted my arm to the erm....V2 conversion method....It's going to be an expensive year!

• Like 1

I can see you being kept busy when all the projected new releases come on line. Then, of course, there's the possibility of an ex LNER 0-6-0 at some point, so you will probably be force fed for a while yet!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm still trying to get some cameos done which bear some relation to the prototype. here's another photo, again copyright of Andrew C Ingram and not to be downloaded please. This time it's an N5 station pilot taking water at the South end crane, but the shot is taken from the opposite side to the one of the A1 featured earlier.

post-98-0-18174100-1322429738_thumb.jpg

And here is one which Tony W took when he was here a few days ago.

post-98-0-70441100-1322429852_thumb.jpg

It's early days yet, there is a lot more detail to be added, and we can't get the exact same shot because the layout isn't anywhere near exactly to scale. I'm not displeased with it as a work in progress though, except for the very obvious lack of weathering of the fogman's hut and the water crane.That resulted in a bit more work today, though still nowhere near complete or to my satisfaction. i have to say I personally can't see how something like this could be left pristine, as any chance of passing it off as the real thing is immediately lost. I'm not claiming this looks like the real thing though.

post-98-0-47315700-1322430242_thumb.jpg

Tony took his with the help of natural light as I recall, whereas this was taken under lights, and from the "wrong" side. I suspect I was asking a lot of even this excellent camera, and I'll have another go tomorrow when there's more light.It does show though that even a basic toning down makes a big difference. I can't yet bed eveything in by the way, as the water crane was set into the slope of the platform ramp which of course isn't finished yet.It should be pretty soon though. :)

• Like 8

Every time I'm in or near Peterborough station now I think about your layout and how much things have changed. Who'd have though a layout would change how I thought about something that is so normal, so mundane to me. When standing on the platform I can imagine the roof, an A3 passing with a fast freight and a shunter nipping between carriages configuring the braking system and coupling the loco up.

Truly fantastic work, is it likely to manage any exhibitions?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Every time I'm in or near Peterborough station now I think about your layout and how much things have changed. Who'd have though a layout would change how I thought about something that is so normal, so mundane to me. When standing on the platform I can imagine the roof, an A3 passing with a fast freight and a shunter nipping between carriages configuring the braking system and coupling the loco up.

Truly fantastic work, is it likely to manage any exhibitions?

No exhibitions I'm afraid, as it has been built in a very permanent way. I might have considered making it portable a few years ago, but the thought of carting this lot about, even with help, doesn't appeal to me.My back wouldn't like it either. :sad_mini:

I like these a lot Gilbert....god knows how close you are going to get the detail and realism once it's finished....it's practically there now!

Can I ask about your ballasting, Gilbert? Did Norman do that when he built your track or is it something you added afterwards? What material has been used? In some of the pics, the ballasting looks quite shallow, so I'm wondering if it was done at the same time as the track by gluing the track and ballast down at the same time.

It certainly looks effective and is giving me some ideas...

• RMweb Premium

Can I ask about your ballasting, Gilbert? Did Norman do that when he built your track or is it something you added afterwards? What material has been used? In some of the pics, the ballasting looks quite shallow, so I'm wondering if it was done at the same time as the track by gluing the track and ballast down at the same time.

It certainly looks effective and is giving me some ideas...

All the ballasting is Norman's, Gordon, and probably comes under the heading of trade secrets. I know he has several different types of ballast mix that he makes up for varying locations and types of track, but I can't help any further than that.

• RMweb Gold

Gordon,

Assuming Norman has one set method for laying track then you can watch his methods on the Right Track DVD 'Laying Terrific Trackwork'.

But basically he lays the track and ballasts in a single action (glue, track down then ballast while it is all still wet).

• RMweb Premium

Gordon,

Assuming Norman has one set method for laying track then you can watch his methods on the Right Track DVD 'Laying Terrific Trackwork'.

But basically he lays the track and ballasts in a single action (glue, track down then ballast while it is all still wet).

Different Norman, I'm afraid. It's Norman Solomon on the DVD, Mine was done by Norman Saunders of Just Tracks.