Peterborough North

great northern

I bought one of them USB 7in1 card readers years ago, casing fell off and is merely a pcb now, but it still comes in handy!

Once you get direct access to your card, try a file recovery program, as all the system does when you delete is erase the file header.

Great modelling work by the way, which building is that?

• RMweb Premium

Picture an overcast damp Sunday afternoon in cottonopolis, the heady mix of soot, boiled potatoes and cabbage in the air mixing with the smell of chicken feed off the allotments. The clanking of an Austerity 2-8-0 drowns out Ruby Murray on Forces Favourites as it drifts down grade light engine across the fields towards the shed at Lees. It might have been a scene that had unfolded a million times for most folk, but to an enthusiast, it was the beginning of a new wave.......The damned WD's were moving in to take replace "our" Austin Sevens! :swoon:

Smell as well as sound Larry? I have to say the smell of (over) boiled cabbage :stink: has haunted me since school dinner days, so i'm afraid that though I could recreate that. I shan't. The other problem is that I don't seem to be able to tune in to the Light programme. :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Yet mmore attempts to load up photos, to top it I have lost my compplete constructional set of photos as my xD card is no longer recognised by my computer it says can't recognise thedirectory and have since found out that all my photos are deleted i'm absolutly furious all that work taking photos for sweet nothing.:-(

Good news is I managed too save a couple to the hard drive at a point when i was saving to the computer before being distracted :-)

Station masters house.

PB070008-1-1.jpg

PB070013-2.jpg

A closer view showing before paintwork cleaned up.

the model looks bent but i can assure it is perfectly straight, no wide angle lense

PB070012-2.jpg

more to follow including some lovely island platform side canopy brackets etched by our own Pete Harvey PHD models.

now to the dentist :-(

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear of your problems, but hopefully some of the replies on here may help you to recover the images after all. Now to the really important stuff- those buildings are wonderful. It has been well worth waiting for, but then I always knew it would be. I can't wait to see the rest! And of course to get them in their rightful places on the layout.

Gilbert

Been a bit quiet this weekend folks, as I managed to resist both running trains and taking photos, and got on with a bit of modelling. :swoon: There is still so much to do, I think I've just been putting off getting started on anything. Anyway, within a couple of days there may be something to show for this sudden burst of activity. In the meantime, here are a few more of Andy's lovely pics.

post-98-0-00893600-1320619319_thumb.jpg

What is it that's attractive about a grimy WD? You couldn't call them handsome by any stretch of the imagination, but they have character. This is yet another one waiting patiently to get into New England yard. The crew probably aren't in a hurry, as there could be overtime pay not far away.

post-98-0-73675400-1320619573_thumb.jpg

Next is A1 Sir Vincent Raven waiting to return home with the Down Heart of Midlothian.

post-98-0-13930500-1320619702_thumb.jpg

Which had been brought in a few minutes earlier by A4 Gannet. The fireman has been very quick in removing the express lights. ;)

post-98-0-85810100-1320619896_thumb.jpg

And panning to the left, modernisation in the form of a Cravens DMU waits to transfer to Platform 4 to form an all stations stopper to Louth.

The new camera really captures the sense of bulk of these machines.

PB070012-2.jpg

That really does look superb Peter! The canopies will really set that off when they arrive. :)

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear of your problems, but hopefully some of the replies on here may help you to recover the images after all. Now to the really important stuff- those buildings are wonderful. It has been well worth waiting for, but then I always knew it would be. I can't wait to see the rest! And of course to get them in their rightful places on the layout.

Gilbert

Couldn't agree more Gilbert! The one I'm looking forward to seeing will be the overall roof at the south end ;).

As to camera cards, I remember losing a load of images a couple of years ago when I forgot to transfer them to the PC first. I learnt the hard way, sadly!

Cheers,

Tim

Picture an overcast damp Sunday afternoon in cottonopolis, the heady mix of soot, boiled potatoes and cabbage in the air mixing with the smell of chicken feed off the allotments. The clanking of an Austerity 2-8-0 drowns out Ruby Murray on Forces Favourites as it drifts down grade light engine across the fields towards the shed at Lees. It might have been a scene that had unfolded a million times for most folk, but to an enthusiast, it was the beginning of a new wave.......The damned WD's were moving in to take replace "our" Austin Sevens! :swoon:

Larry,

I find it hard to believe anyone lamented Austin Sevens being replaced by the superb WD's. I mean, the clank of the rods....pure music to the ears!! Axle boxes and crank pins that did what it said on the tin!!

Dave.

Edited by Dave Holt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Not much has been happening, or at least not as far as the railway is concerned, as real life rather rudely interrupted my 1950's idyll. A visit to my GP on 1st November resulted in a referral to hospital, and a spell on the operating table on Thursday 8th. :sad_mini2: Things looked a bit bleak for a while, and I'd never have thought that I'd be pleased to hear a surgeon tell me that I have a large polyp on my colon. I was though, as it almost certainly banishes all worries of the rather nasty alternative. Anyway, it has gone, all 44mm of it. :rolleyes: and I'm nearly back to 100%. I was going to post some more photos, but the site is very slow, so I'll leave it till tomorrow. It has put irritants like derailments back into perspective I can assure you.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert, good grief you don't hang around! Glad to hear it all went well and that you're on the mend..

It was the NHS that didn't hang around Gordon. Pretty impressive stuff I must say. This 14 day action period in suspected cancer cases really does seem to work. I certainly didn't expect it would be dealt with so fast.

• RMweb Premium

On reading your posting of last night just now I got quite a shock but with further reading was glad to see that all is well and that you are heading in the right direction. Speaking of direction, I am sure that there will be a great many ECML driving turns now awaiting your attention!

• Like 1

Evening all. Not much has been happening, or at least not as far as the railway is concerned, as real life rather rudely interrupted my 1950's idyll. A visit to my GP on 1st November resulted in a referral to hospital, and a spell on the operating table on Thursday 8th. :sad_mini2: Things looked a bit bleak for a while, and I'd never have thought that I'd be pleased to hear a surgeon tell me that I have a large polyp on my colon. I was though, as it almost certainly banishes all worries of the rather nasty alternative. Anyway, it has gone, all 44mm of it. :rolleyes: and I'm nearly back to 100%. I was going to post some more photos, but the site is very slow, so I'll leave it till tomorrow. It has put irritants like derailments back into perspective I can assure you.

Glad your okay !

• RMweb Premium

First folks, may thanks for your concern and good wishes, which are much appreciated. :thankyou: I'm fine now, and no worries about what the biopsy may show. Right, back to more pleasant matters- a few more shots as the day at Peterborough develops.

post-98-0-41786500-1321275180_thumb.jpg

What a sight! Decidedly down at heel local A2/1 Duke of Rothesay has arrived with the 1,45pm Kings Cross- Newcastle relief. This was taken yesterday evening with just artificial light. I'm well aware of what a challenge it is for the camera- dirty matt locos aren't the easiest of subjects.

post-98-0-39308500-1321275458_thumb.jpg

Same shot this morning, augmented by what little daylight there is.

post-98-0-53757100-1321275561_thumb.jpg

And a close up of the Duke in all its "glory".

post-98-0-47656000-1321275669_thumb.jpg

One or two people told me at Spalding show that they like the forest of signals at the North end, so here is an Ivatt 4 which has recently reversed its terminated M&GN service into a carriage siding, and will shortly use the engine road to get to New England. The artic twin in the background is awaiting attention at the carriage repair shed. Unfortunately, it actually is, an essential coupling mechanism having sheered off. :sad_mini:

post-98-0-65039500-1321276017_thumb.jpg

And here is another strange train. This is a Grimsby- Peterborough train, which then ran on to Kings Cross, though not advertised as such in the public timetable. :scratchhead: The loco is 61202, a Lincoln engine. Should be an Immingham engine, but I can't resist employing one or two of the engines I saw regularly during my early spotting days at Lincoln. More later.

Hello Gilbert

Having started to look at your layout images for the first time, after somebody kindly pointed me in the right direction on saturday, I must say it all looks very nice. I was going to relay this message (and more) to you as a PM, but that seems to be impossible at present, so I'll limit my remarks.....

Best of luck with the continuing effort.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've checked back, but seem to have missed it: what camera DID you buy in the end?

PM me if you don't want to repeat it on the thread, please.

Thanks, jeff.

No problem Jeff, it's a Canon G12 which was recommended by several different people.