Peterborough North

great northern

Chamossaire...............loco of my dreams!

As a little boy I was taken on a secondary school visit to Doncaster Works and shed. My dad was deputy head there, and I went along too.

Along with half a dozen others, I was allowed to climb onto the running plate up beside the boiler of "Chamossaire" as she stood, in steam, at the shed, in order for a photo to be taken. Around 1960. On the same visit we saw the remains of "the un-named Streak" on the plant, poor old 60700.

Sadly, the photo was taken by one of the older lads from the secondary school, and my dad never thought to ask for a copy.

Because of the scariness of the huge loco, the height from the ground, the smells of steam, hot oil and coal, and the heat from the boiler, I was captivated, and whenever I dreamed locos, Chamossaire was there.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

How can you have been poorly with all those lovely East Coast pacifics to play with? Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Think your thread needs to be renamed "Peterborough North - the start of the next bit" as it looks way beyond the beginning to me.

Regards,

Peter

I quite agree Peter- I've just been too idle to change it. Action now taken.

• RMweb Gold

Evening folks. Just a little teaser attached. More later.

Go ahead and tease - I think I would have been in the third coach back and as it's so long ago I can't remember if it came on at Grantham or 'your station' but I cabbed it on arrival at the 'Cross along with my dad (who had previously cabbed it in its original guise on one of its 'exhibition' showings). Thanks for the memory :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They are both Tony Wright's locos. The W1 is from the SE Finecast kit, and Great Northern is from the PDK kit. Both took a lot of work to get them to where they now are. Tony saw the correspondence on here concerning attempts to get me to acquire these two engines, and brought them with him when he visited me yesterday. I'm not sure whether he has joined the international conspiracy which I suspect exists to get me to inflate my loco stud even further. I hope not, as he is something of a locoholic himself.

They do both look very nice though. :unsure: And they were both very common sights in 1958. And I misread Yeadon- 113 was not in pieces in the Crimpsall in August 1958, so that excuse is gone. :rolleyes: This is rapidly heading in the wrong direction. I do not need more Pacifics! (Well, not many anyway.)

• Like 1

The locomotives are lovely but... the signals and track, oh my. Those locos wouldn't look anywhere near as nice without the superb 'supporting cast' of bullhead chaired rail and glorious semaphores. You could strip away all the stock, and I'd still enjoy looking at photos of this layout. Wish there was more freight though...

>ducks<

• Like 1

They are both Tony Wright's locos. The W1 is from the SE Finecast kit, and Great Northern is from the PDK kit. Both took a lot of work to get them to where they now are. Tony saw the correspondence on here concerning attempts to get me to acquire these two engines, and brought them with him when he visited me yesterday. I'm not sure whether he has joined the international conspiracy which I suspect exists to get me to inflate my loco stud even further. I hope not, as he is something of a locoholic himself.

They do both look very nice though. :unsure: And they were both very common sights in 1958. And I misread Yeadon- 113 was not in pieces in the Crimpsall in August 1958, so that excuse is gone. :rolleyes: This is rapidly heading in the wrong direction. I do not need more Pacifics! (Well, not many anyway.)

Gilbert, those two do indeed look fantastic.

As for needing more pacifics of course you do otherwise what cover will you have for the A1's that ASLEF Drivers refused to crew for 2 months commencing on 31st April 1958.

I thought you had revised this subject thoroughly. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

The locomotives are lovely but... the signals and track, oh my. Those locos wouldn't look anywhere near as nice without the superb 'supporting cast' of bullhead chaired rail and glorious semaphores. You could strip away all the stock, and I'd still enjoy looking at photos of this layout. Wish there was more freight though...

>ducks<

More freight eh? Well, I can only run what actually did, and in daylight hours that wasn't a lot. I've checked my sequence though, and found that 55 out of 360 movements are freight, which is roughly one sixth. Actually it's rather more, as there are quite a lot of light engine movements, so as a proportion of total trains it will be about 25%. A lot of them run either very early or late in the day though, so for most of the time you won't see many. I'll try to point the camera at a few more in future though.

• RMweb Premium

As for needing more pacifics of course you do otherwise what cover will you have for the A1's that ASLEF Drivers refused to crew for 2 months commencing on 31st April 1958.

Regards,Derek.

I'm trying to avoid "revision" Derek :no: . It's all to easy to make small changes to accomodate some of my personal favourites. The trouble is that a number of small revisions would soon destroy the impression I want to give, which is of the mundane every day railway of the '50's. I shudder to think what would have happened if the A1's had all been taken out of service, but I suspect the result would have been that a lot more V2's would have been seen. Now I do need more of those, but there isn't a really decent way of getting them, even taking kits into consideration. :sad_mini2: The new Bachmann offering will be an improvement, but the body does leave a lot to be desired.

Regards,Derek.

This is a new story on me Derek - what happened there?

Gilbert, both engines look terrific in your perfect settings. However, dare I say it, a Graeme King modified A4 to W1 and A3 to A1/1 would be the icing on the cake. Looking at his progress with the A1/1 on the LNER forum, it puts the PDK kit to shame even at a very early stage of the build.

That is not to say the two shown above aren't perfectly made or painted: they are most certainly, but Graeme's resin enhanced models seem to capture the shapes and proportions much better.

EDIT: To quantify what I mean, look at this shot of my Graeme King W1:

CIMG8160.jpg

Now go to this link and look at the real W1.

The difference in the height of the chimney of the SEF version, and the height of its running plate, and the real thing/Graeme's modified versions is startling once you notice it.

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 2

Great photos. I'm gl;ad to hear that Tony Wright is OK, as I was beginning to wonder if there was any thing wrong with him, having not seen much of him in recent BRMs and his not having his normal stand at Spalding Model Railway show.

Edited by westerner

• RMweb Premium

Tony has not been at all well for about ten months Alan. He's just starting to get better. There's a thread in Wheeltappers called "Tony Wright". You might like to look at that, rather than me repeating some of what is on there in this thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, both engines look terrific in your perfect settings. However, dare I say it, a Graeme King modified A4 to W1 and A3 to A1/1 would be the icing on the cake. Looking at his progress with the A1/1 on the LNER forum, it puts the PDK kit to shame even at a very early stage of the build.

That is not to say the two shown above aren't perfectly made or painted: they are most certainly, but Graeme's resin enhanced models seem to capture the shapes and proportions much better.

CIMG8160.jpg

The difference in the height of the chimney of the SEF version, and the height of its running plate, and the real thing/Graeme's modified versions is startling once you notice it.

Thanks Simon- sad picture that! TW did not speak highly of either the W1 kit or that for Great Northern, but they were what was available at the time. I confess that I am tempted, but as I have now got two A2/3's on order from Tim it may have to wait a while. Could I ask you to send me a PM with some more details of Graeme's conversion, and an idea of cost?

• Like 2

Tony has not been at all well for about ten months Alan. He's just starting to get better. There's a thread in Wheeltappers called "Tony Wright". You might like to look at that, rather than me repeating some of what is on there in this thread.

Thanks for that Gilbert

CIMG8160.jpg

Simon,

The 31st of April gives it away a bit,its Gilberts Railway so lets pretend!!! Sorry I will grow up one day. I am bored as I appear to have ruptured my Cruciate Ligamant. Am taking very powerful Pain Killers and at the time it seemed quite funny.

I will get my coat. In fact I think I will go for a lay down.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 2

Simon,

The 31st of April gives it away a bit,its Gilberts Railway so lets pretend!!! Sorry I will grow up one day. I am bored as I appear to have ruptured my Cruciate Ligamant. Am taking very powerful Pain Killers and at the time it seemed quite funny.

I will get my coat. In fact I think I will go for a lay down.

Regards,Derek.

:O 31st April?

How on earth did I miss that...! :scratchhead: No worries Derek, made me laugh when I realized my error! :jester: