Heljan Lion

Guest 47107

The URL contained a malformed video link was the message I got.

Crikey, that was quick. I could not copy the link directly, so I wrote it out. I made a small mistake first time but have edited it and tried again and it worked for me.

Alternatively, go to this site and click on "Video".

www.birmingham-railway-carriage.com/photosTech.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interesting.... What about a "might have been" scenario with a couple of hundred production "Lion class" diesels numbered between 1300 and 1499 working all over the country... B)

Bill

The reserved number series for the 'standard' Type 4 design started at D1500 I believe - with the contract not going to the BRCW design alas.

Interesting.... What about a "might have been" scenario with a couple of hundred production "Lion class" diesels numbered between 1300 and 1499 working all over the country... B)

Bill

White is such an impractical colour in the real world.

In the model world, white is an excellent base color for yellow, either HH or FYE. Who's going to get a second, and paint it green? smile.gif

Who's going to go a step further and paint it blue...? :D

Pete - it does seem odd for a locomotive livery but most of the photos I've seen of Lion show it looking pretty clean, apart from a bit of gunge on the boges etc. IIRC it always had a travelling fitter wherever it went, so perhaps he was able to give it a regular wash and brush up.

Lovely looking model, I was rather taken by it at Warley ;)

• RMweb Gold

It didn't last long enough to get deep-down grimy! From the photo,it looks a really cracking model.A treat for early 60's cognoscenti(sorry,posh-speak for fans)&dinosaurs like me who saw the prototype either in traffic or parked-up in its BRC&W Smethwick birthplace.

Pete - it does seem odd for a locomotive livery but most of the photos I've seen of Lion show it looking pretty clean, apart from a bit of gunge on the boges etc. IIRC it always had a travelling fitter wherever it went, so perhaps he was able to give it a regular wash and brush up.

Someone posted a photo of it on the Eastern Region, a while back, and it was in an absolutely filthy state, unbelievably dirty. It wouldn't take long to get in that way, especially with steam still about...

You can imagine the misery imposed on the two electrical engineers, along for technical support, and also having to do the washing up... wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Lovely looking model, I was rather taken by it at Warley ;)

'Lion' always looked clean (bodywise at any rate) when running around on the Western - made quite an impression. I've some rather poor pics of it in Swindon stock shed cabled up to the dynamometer car and it was very clean at that time.

Buying into the discussion here: I have always found white cars show the least dirt whereas black ones (or even just dark coloured ones) really show every speck! On the other hand, railways seem to exhibit the opposite trend, with black being the hardest wearing while white shows every speck of dirt. Maybe railway dirt is a different colour to road dirt! ;)

Going back a few posts, I would envisage the production livery (if it had happened!) as being similar to the Hymeks, with white cab window surrounds, grey roof (centre section, at least) and light green skirting panels, the rest being BR green, and probably sporting small yellow panels at the front..

Buying into the discussion here: I have always found white cars show the least dirt whereas black ones (or even just dark coloured ones) really show every speck! On the other hand, railways seem to exhibit the opposite trend, with black being the hardest wearing while white shows every speck of dirt. Maybe railway dirt is a different colour to road dirt! ;)

Winter being dirtiest on the roads, typically, with road/ rock-salt tending to be white, perhaps?

We all know what rail-dirt comprises, don't we, so there's no need to pursue that brown avenue again! :D

Winter being dirtiest on the roads, typically, with road/ rock-salt tending to be white, perhaps?

Good point, except it doesn't really apply either here in Melbourne, or in my previous homes in Brisbane and Rockhampton in Queensland (tropical and sub-tropical, so no snow!!). White cars were also the coolest in a hot climate! :lol:

I have owned several white cars in the past, plus I have a dirty black one which I have owned since 1985 (it's a 1973 model 2-door Ford Falcon). Currently my main transport is a metallic red which doesn't show the dirt too much, and my previous Holden was a pale metallic blue, which was also good at hiding the dirt fairly well. I did like a dark pearlescent blue for the Lancer when i was buying mine but I knew that that would show every speck of dirt just as plainly as the black car!

If we look at railway liveries from the past, besides the previously mentioned blacks, the LMS maroon was not too bad at disguising the dirt, as was the BR green. The BR blue livery seemed to me to be less successful at hiding the dirt and grime but that might also have coincided with less stringent cleaning regimes. :unsure:

Guest baldrick25

Just a minor comment about Lion, whilst generally described as 'white', it was actually an ivory colour, slightly toned down and off white. It was subtle and cameras probably wouldn't pick up the nuances of the colour. Much the same as the 'Royals' appear as near-black in photographs, and not the dark plum colour they are in reality. Minor point I know, but I saw Lion a lot and never saw dirt , or exhaust debris, oil runs etc, it was noted for its apparent cleanliness at a time when most else on the railways was coated in 'rubbish'. Bear in mind its short service life , and maybe 5 years further down the line maybe things would be different- or if it had been in BR ownership and not a private owner loco.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lion is only about 2 weeks away according to the Heljan representative I spoke to at Model Rail Scotland yesterday.

They are expecting it in Denmark in the next week. So assuming testing goes OK it should be out in mid March.

Edited for grammar.

Good. I had allocated funds for it (I was expecting it to be out at the begining of Feb) but I've somehow since spent said funds on other things :huh:

Thanks BRblue for letting us know. That enables us to save in advance. Plus, knowing the release date (even if only approximate) gives us something nice to look forward too. Thank you. :)

Lion is only about 2 weeks away according to the Heljan representative I spoke to at Model Rail Scotland yesterday.

They are expecting it in Denmark in the next week. So assuming testing goes OK it should be out in mid March.

Edited for grammar.

Model-Fair have just sent out a newsletter confirming March (having first suggested February).

Archived