Heljan Lion

Guest 47107

Another strange thing was how the story then went full circle as the Class 56 copied numerous 'successful' features of the Brush design only for depot and regional M&EE organisations to find they had been based on the original drawings and not the numerous mods applied in order to make various things reliable.

Now days it is more a case of 'we will revise the 2D drawings', but we don't have the funds to go back and change the 3D models.

I better say Lion, lest this post get over moderated as well... wink.gif

After a chat with Heljan concerning the fans. They as as depicted in the published pictures. A great shame as it lets down an otherwise stunning model. I was told it was because it is the only place where to fit a speaker. A visit to Shawplan provided me with a pair of Brush type 4 grills and fans, which I was assured by both Heljan and Howes are the same size.

So I guess on the plus side they'll be doing a sound version too?

Or they could just be leaving space forthe speaker for those who want to fit one, either way I will still get mine, just hope the fan and grills are easily replaced.

• RMweb Premium

Personally I think it's a weak excuse, as it's very easy to produce a small fan unit under the grills that could easily be removed for a speaker to go in, not unlike Hornby and Bachmann have done.

Personally I think it's a weak excuse, as it's very easy to produce a small fan unit under the grills that could easily be removed for a speaker to go in, not unlike Hornby and Bachmann have done.

You must take into account of the tooling costs associated with small production runs. I am sure Heljan and other manufacturers work out a target cost and tool up appropiate to this.

I must add that the moulding of the roof fans on their Brush type 4s is very good for something so shallow. But the fact that the fans on Lion are red causes a problem doing it this way.

So I guess on the plus side they'll be doing a sound version too?

I do wonder what the ol' Lion sounded like anyway.

Mmm, let me think...

Lion - Sulzer 12LDA28C engine, 2750hp.

Class 47 - Sulzer 12LDA28C engine, 2750hp.

Nope, I'm strugglingscratch_one-s_head_mini.gif

Mmm, let me think...

Lion - Sulzer 12LDA28C engine, 2750hp

Class 47 - Sulzer 12LDA28C engine, 2750hp.

Nope, I'm strugglingscratch_one-s_head_mini.gif

Lion may have had a different design of silencer to the class 47 though. Certainly it had two exhaust ports, so maybe the exhaust sound would have slightly different.;)

• RMweb Gold

Lion may have had a different design of silencer to the class 47 though. Certainly it had two exhaust ports, so maybe the exhaust sound would have slightly different.;)

It's a long time ago but I don't think it sounded quite the same for some reason but it might be that 'Lion' used an engine built on Sulzer's home ground instead of the Barrow built ones so it had a different accentblink.gif (more likely the silencing was different in some way?). I don't know what would have happened with mass production but in general those who worked on both thought the Brush Type 4 was a cheapo copy of 'Lion' and wasn't as good - but then the Brush design was a bundle of unreliability when new so that no doubt influenced opinions.

Maybe it had, to use the technical term a phat exhaust pipe like my neighbour's Focus? Presumably Lion didn't get the same anglo-saxon exclamations that the passing of his car gets though ;).

I always think Lion looks like a Hymek on steroids with the same cab design but the extra wheels and that pod on the roof!

Actually Lloyd, Lion only had one exhaust port and we used the official BRCW drawing for that on the model. I know other drawings of Lion in books show two ports but the fact is there was only one, much like that on a 47. Glad you liked the model. My recollection of Lion was that it sounded much like a Peak, I only saw it three times, once at Stratford and twice at the Cross. The Eastern men nicknamed it 'Lenny'

• 5 weeks later...

I can see why - dressed out in white like that, it had to be in showbiz :D

At least I'm not the only old git on here. I wonder how many others remember "Lennie the Lion" and the bloke who had his hand up his bottom, Terry Hall?

... the bloke who had his hand up his bottom ...

Would that be a related condition to 'foot in mouth' disease?

The strange 'humpbacked' appearance of Lion was a notable deficit in external appearance compared to the externally neat Brush type 4. Whatever the internal shortcomings of the latter, the exterior looked good at launch, notably tidier and more compact than anything of comparable power output among BR diesels.

• 4 weeks later...

At least I'm not the only old git on here. I wonder how many others remember "Lennie the Lion" and the bloke who had his hand up his bottom, Terry Hall?

Terry Hall? THE SPECIALS' frontman, later of the FUN BOY THREE and solo success, surely not :P

Guest baldrick25

Have just found a bit of film on Youtube (of Lion, not Terry Hall).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW9-s_J53N8

The URL contained a malformed video link was the message I got.

Archived