Heljan Lion

Guest 47107

The Lion has escaped from Denmark and found in Shaw! :lol:

Tim at Arcadia (Shaw, Oldham) has rung me to say they arrived. I will have one shortly.

Peter

Thanks for the tip off. I've been down and picked one up. Its running in at the moment

Hi

This is a stunning model and looks superb. Got it from Transport Models, Preston. Body held on with 2 clips each side and all the pipes, coupling hook etc come pre-fitted so no bag of bits of plastic to fit except for 2 tension lock couplings. Headcodes are IM13 and 1B21 and they are ready fitted - no selection of alternative headcodes. The roof has semi-opaque fittings (to presumably let light in on the real thing) and you can partially see through it and my DCC decoder wires look like there's a rainbow under there! Will refit it later.

The headcodes light up as do the red lights on the rear. If you like running trains in the dark there is a lot of bleed through the body at each end but then it is white. Run it with normal room lighting and you can barely tell they're on.

It runs OK although mine is not a nice quiet loco (like a 26,47 or 15). Certainly rattles through the points. My noisiest loco by far but it will get a good running in so perhaps a bit early to say.

I'm no expert on whether it looks like the real thing - I'll leave that to the more learned members - but to my eyes its Lion and thought you would like to hear my immediate observations.

Tim

• RMweb Gold
The headcodes light up as do the red lights on the rear. If you like running trains in the dark there is a lot of bleed through the body at each end but then it is white. Run it with normal room lighting and you can barely tell they're on.

That is the only criticism I can make about it that the white plastic lets the light out, I think Apple have had problems with the proposed white iPhone the white plastic wasn't opaque enough. I have light bleed and it can look like the reverse lights are on when moving forward, and there is a bleed on the sides. I will look at using with some foil or black insulation tape to cut this out. I will post some pics when I find a successful solution.

I have added a Zimo sound chip with the Digitrains Class 47 project. I have used a 1" sqaure QSI Hi Bass speaker and by filing down the bottom edges of the box, which leaves a hole to be filled with black sealant, it fits nicely to the roof above the boggies. It will be running on Rederring this weekend at the Heywood Model Rail Group Exhibition in Heywood.

Regards,

Peter

Hi all,

I received my Heljan (#4005) D0260 'Lion' model today and what a super model it is! It runs well, although the lights are a little dim (the red tail lights more so), but the headcodes are nicely but subtly back-lit - nothing like Kestrel, with it's quartz halogen Freightliner Class 66 headlight, I might point out :blink: ;)

For those contemplating the idea of purchasing one of these locos, please see my photos, below. Please be warned that the photos are not colour matched. In white light the loco does look white, despite a yellow appearance in some photos below. Also, one or two photos have lens distortion, due to the close up nature of the camera.

Hope you like them! :)

Cheers,

Ixion.

D0260 'Lion' Iso, Fan End View:

post-6532-0-31070300-1300229419_thumb.jpg

D0260 'Lion' Iso, Non Fan End View:

post-6532-0-53551600-1300229435_thumb.jpg

D0260 'Lion' Iso, Front Close Up:

post-6532-0-64965800-1300229465_thumb.jpg

D0260 'Lion' Roof, Fans, Translucent Panel:

post-6532-0-98267700-1300229482_thumb.jpg

D0260 'Lion' Side, Centre Door:

post-6532-0-75724800-1300229500_thumb.jpg

D0260 'Lion' Nameplate:

post-6532-0-15178500-1300229519_thumb.jpg

Cool!

I could see having a bit of fun with those translucent panels, put a set of brightly colored LEDs in there to mimic a warp drive... smile.gif

Seriously though, weathering will be a challenge, it is going to take a light touch indeed to do those bogies and the white faces of buffers with the neatly applied black trim.

Can you imagine having to apply those parallel gold stripes on the body side by hand!?! blink.gif

If you dig out your set of 1962 Modern Railways, you'll find plenty of Lion material...

What a beauty!

I had been a bit worried about the fans on the roof, but from the fanastic photos above they look ok.

Cool!I could see having a bit of fun with those translucent panels, put a set of brightly colored LEDs in there to mimic a warp drive...

:lol: B)

Guest baldrick25

That really looks as good as the original 12inch one did, even to the slightly different shades of 'white' in different lighting conditions. What a cracker!

Anyone thinking of weathering should take care , as the prototype never really was seen in anything other than just a very light spray condition. The original was a 'show' loco and intended to win orders for BRCW and their suppliers, and was cleaned at every opportunity.

Take a look at D0260 Lion for a shot in about the dirtiest condition it ever was seen.

Another nice slide is for sale on Ebay HERE Scroll down to the Auctiva section below, and click on the image for a supersized image.

I still remember the ground shaking as it took off up Lickey on a standing start test run with the dynamometer coach.

Just rang Rails and they are in stock ready to be sent out, can't wait to get mine.

Guest Max Stafford

If ever a model needed to be sold weathered as standard, to give it a bit more 'solidity' this is the one. Doubtless the dab hands at this work will soon get some muck on and have it looking right... (What were BRCW thinking of, does anyone know for sure?)

It was the 1960s. It's what they did! :D

Dave.

Guest baldrick25

Modellers Mecca at Kingswinford, claim to have sold out already, 12 noon , 16th March as it was a 'limited edition'...

Wow - what a fine looking model (thow those chunky windscreen wipers in the bin though ) the translucent roof panels are a nice touch B) - not knowing the real thing, should they have that 'frosted' glass appearance of were they a translucent fibreglass yellowy sort of affair? I wonder if that feature will catch on with futire models ?? Very interesting model.

tfn

jon

Guest baldrick25

.... were they a translucent fibreglass yellowy sort of affair?

Yes they were the whitish translucent glass fibre from memory- , the sort that would have yellowed had they been in service longer..

If ever a model needed to be sold weathered as standard, to give it a bit more 'solidity' this is the one. Doubtless the dab hands at this work will soon get some muck on and have it looking right... (What were BRCW thinking of, does anyone know for sure?)

I saw the real thing 3 times, twice while on the WR and the third time on the ER. Each time it was clean, even the bogies.

• RMweb Gold

Yes they were the whitish translucent glass fibre from memory- , the sort that would have yellowed had they been in service longer..

Interestingly the plan, plus lots of other interesting information, here http://www.class47.c...feature_425.php states they are "Translucent Glass Panels" .

Plus the original name for the loco on the design drawings was "Trigon"

And for weathering fans heres a mucky pic of Lion http://www.railphoto...g=0969000000000 and http://www.class47.c...g=0957050000210

Hope thats of interest :-)

Garry

The couple of decent colour pictures I have to hand (one of them a colour-rail example) show Lion in a similar state. Milky coffee tones on the bogies from brake dust and track dirt, some dusting of the lower body sides. Clearly the loco was being groomed regularly, but after any extended running the inevitable dust would be adhering to the running gear in particular. It actually sets the thing off quite well in my opinion.

Guest baldrick25

And for weathering fans heres a mucky pic of Lion http://www.railphoto...g=0969000000000 and http://www.class47.c...g=0957050000210

Both those shots were taken in September 1963, when Lion was on its last outings, Its dim future had already been decided to scrap it , so that's why it was 'dirty' in public for the only time in its life. No longer was a BRCW fitter and support staff following it around. It wasn't typical of its general appearance. The shot at Doncaster could well have been after it stopped working whilst the paperwork was ratified for its official withdrawl in December 1963, and its drag to Attercliffe for stripping and disposal.

The engine was re-worked and fitted to an unknown class 47, which is staggering to think it could still be pottering around on the mainline or in preservation.

• RMweb Gold

Both those shots were taken in September 1963, when Lion was on its last outings, Its dim future had already been decided to scrap it , so that's why it was 'dirty' in public for the only time in its life. No longer was a BRCW fitter and support staff following it around. It wasn't typical of its general appearance.

Yes I did wonder if these were taken either just before or after withdrawal.

The only "dirt" if you like I can see on other shots is on the roof around the exhaust.

I guess that was not in the public eye too much :-)

Guest baldrick25

There is a whole section of D0260 Lion images here :-

Lion In Service

I didn't realise that Lion had two differing nameplates :-

Full names nameplate

Abbreviated names nameplate

EDIT :- Having now read the ( very important) full text for each image , one is digitally enhanced and it seems Heljan got it right with the correct version of the nameplate.

Archived