Heljan Lion

Guest 47107

Has anyone who ordered one from Rails had theirs yet? They took the money quite some time ago but Ihave still not received mine yet.

Not yet, but I only ordered it the other day based on the photos on here, and Rails clever pricing...

I have had an email from Rails everyday since ordering which I "tear open" only to find a newsletter full of stuff I shouldn't really be thinking about.....I daresay my Lion will turn up once they have processed all the pre-orders from the past months.

:P I'm getting used to waiting anyway, I sat patiently for just over two months for some of my Bachmann autoballasters to turn up from one of the other retailers...helps pass the time I suppose?

Getting back to the model itself, as we don't seem to gave pages of criticism, do we have a winner ?

The model has appeared in shops before the magazines so we haven't seen their verdicts yet. I got the chance to look over a friends example, and it looked spot on, and ran faultlessly.

One minor gripe was light bleed through from the headcode to the tail lights, but apart from that.......

I see in the notes with it that several names are acknowledged by Heljan in helping to craft it. I recognise Brian Daniels. Has common sense prevailed and have Heljan got a 'panel' to guide them ?

Whatever the case, can we put this in with Kestrel and the 15, rather than their 86, Western and Clayton ?

Getting back to the model itself, as we don't seem to gave pages of criticism, do we have a winner ?

The model has appeared in shops before the magazines so we haven't seen their verdicts yet. I got the chance to look over a friends example, and it looked spot on, and ran faultlessly.

One minor gripe was light bleed through from the headcode to the tail lights, but apart from that.......

I see in the notes with it that several names are acknowledged by Heljan in helping to craft it. I recognise Brian Daniels. Has common sense prevailed and have Heljan got a 'panel' to guide them ?

Whatever the case, can we put this in with Kestrel and the 15, rather than their 86, Western and Clayton ?

Do we ave a winner? I think so.

There is very little to moan about with this model. I am very pleased with mine and it is up there with the likes of the Hornby L1 and Bachmann class 105 which I have also bought. It's turning out to be a very expensive year for me model wise.

I picked mine up from Hattons earlier this week. I'll leave others to comment on the detail, but it looks like Lion to me, it runs well although there is a hint of "wobble" occasionally, and I'm very happy with it. I'd say it's a winner.

Incidentally, Hattons have really altered and tidied up the shop premises now that mail order is handled elsewhere - quite impressive.

Colin

Personally, I think that it is an excellent model. However, check all you cab door handrails as mine have fallen off already. Managed to find them all bar one and now held in place with a little dab of superglue!

Hi Bert Cheese,

glad the photos were of help! I am sure Rails will get the loco to you soon - they must have plenty of orders for Lion to dispatch, given its popularity, along with other orders too. I hope it arrives for you soon.

Brian Daniels had an absolutely fantastic website with a wealth of photographic information on it. Sadly, this is not available at the moment (fotopic), though I really do hope it comes back online. Heljan are lucky to have his support with this project. He has a large knowledge of the railways from the many years of his tours around the country. His 'O' gauge models are very impressive too, I have to say!

My 'Lion' model does run with a little wobble, but I find this is sometimes the case with other manufacturers too. I have not yet checked the light leakage but I can say that there is metal foil around the LEDs to apparently shield the light from leaking to a certain degree, so Heljan have at least tried to some extent.

Either way, this model is, in my view, superb :)

Cheers,

Ixion.

Nice one Brian ! May I ask what input you gave and at what stage... and what did the other names contribute ?

I don't recall any other model having a list of "credits", so is it a first in rtr ? And will this panel help on other projects ?

Either way, I think lion really looks the part. My mate confirms all handrails are present, and no wobble. And the model isn't bad either.

As someone who continues to use the standard NEM couplings, it always seems a shame to me to hack away at the buffer beam details to fit one. I tend to only fit one end so that the other stays intact, but it makes it a bit less flexible on the layout. Anyway, nurse! The scissors... I'm going in.

Also, Heljan couplings always seem to droop really badly and therefore don't couple smoothly; hope this is better.

It really is a belting model though.

Yes, I see what you mean- It's an area that maybe invites a bit of innovation by the manufacturers- is there a more flexible plastic that they could use for the hoses etc that will retain the shape enough to look convincing while flexing enough to allow coupling swing?

Some have and some haven't. There's an earlier post explaining the situation. Sadly I'll have to wait two weeks for mine as LMC don't get theirs till next week and it's being delivered to my parents. Ah well, be worth the wait from the sounds of things!

Signal Box in Rochester have them in stock- picked one up yesterday. Haven't run it yet as my test track has been stored away while I'm decorating, but the temptation to shift a load of furniture to retrieve it is getting stronger...

Just noticed a minor issue with mine- a centre lamp iron missing from one end, but fortunately found it in the bottom of the box (a stroke of luck given how tiny a 4mm lamp iron is!) , so I'll get the tweezers out and reinstate it.

Look like a really nice model at first sight- the roof fan treatment was a bit off-putting when the sample pics were first shown, but works much better than I expected on the 'production' model- looks as if Heljan toned the printing of the fan down quite a bit compared to the sample model

Hi dave_flint,

it's not the first time credits have been given to a RTR model. The Heljan 58 was also credited with assistance from the Class 58 Locomotive Group (C58LG) and also, none other than, Brian! B)

I think the class 15 also had help from those people who own D8233...

Cheers,

Ixion.

Guest baldrick25

Just to continue the saga with Rails, last week it was confirmed my Lion was in despatch , waiting to go out. As its still not arrived , and unsure if I am spending another day or two watching for a delivery van, I telephoned. Not only was it no longer in despatch, it wasn't even at Rails- it was on the second palet , which was expected to arrive last friday and didn't, then expected to be waiting this morning and hasn't , so far. Rails are certainly not doing it for me with this order. Once it has arrived, then any further pre-orders will be cancelled, its just a way of getting your money and the order 'captive' to them.

Once it has arrived, then any further pre-orders will be cancelled, its just a way of getting your money and the order 'captive' to them.

I have gone one step further - I've cancelled my order for LION and my order for a green Bachmann 10000.

I've placed my orders with a retailer that I know and trust, who will inspect and test-run my models before sending them off. Within minutes of placing the order for LION I had an e-mail confirming that a model had been selected, packaged and would be posted at the first opportunity.

That kind of service I am willing to pay a bit extra for; that's me finished with the box-shifters.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I haven't bought a model which was "out of location or period" for over twenty years but I saw the photos of Lion on Tuesday night, ordered the model from Liverpool on Wednesday night and then set off to go to Nottingham exhibition on Friday.

Meanwhile the postman had tried to delivery on Saturday morning so I picked up my model today. I had worried about whether the bogies looked moulded plastic when I had a quick glance at the model on the Loughborough Model Centre stand. Having had a look today I have no concerns at all and the whole model really does seem to be a thing of beauty (to me at least).

One very happy customer of Heljan and Hattons.

• RMweb Gold

Just to continue the saga with Rails, last week it was confirmed my Lion was in despatch , waiting to go out. As its still not arrived , and unsure if I am spending another day or two watching for a delivery van, I telephoned. Not only was it no longer in despatch, it wasn't even at Rails- it was on the second palet , which was expected to arrive last friday and didn't, then expected to be waiting this morning and hasn't , so far. Rails are certainly not doing it for me with this order. Once it has arrived, then any further pre-orders will be cancelled, its just a way of getting your money and the order 'captive' to them.

Please dont take this the wrong way because I am glad you are voicing the issues you are having with Rails, but is there any chance that you may add a response to the Rails thread in the retailers section? At least it would get more coverage of the issue and help warn other people too.

Mine arrived on the other side of the Irish sea this morning and I'm delighted with it. Came well packed but am not so happy with being charged at a much higher rate of postage than when I normally buy directly off their website (mine was a preorder too!). Off to the retailers thread I go...:rolleyes:

I've just added a DCC installation guide on our site.

Beware when taking the body away from the chassis that the red light bar doesn't fall out (and break!) - I found them very loose on the one I've just installed a decoder into.

Well mine finally arrived today from Hattons. Very pleased quite an impressive model, it is crying out for a touch of weathering on the bogies though. Mine had a slight wobble in one direction at certain speeds but now after a good running in session has totally disappeared , possibly it is due to some tightness in the drive line.

Had this from Rails yesterday "Thank you for your email, your parcel is in dispatch and they are very busy trying to get the Lions out as fast as they can. If yours does not leave today it will be tomorrow at the latest. (we had one pallet delivered to the wrong depot so it has caused a delay in us receiving all of the lions.) "

Can't see a reason to cancel my order and other orders from them have been dealt with well. Only wish they were as informative as Hattons with their emails as I had to ask for this one.

Only other disappointment is that my local shop didn't preadvertise the model , they usually are far more expensive on these Heljan specials and they have it on their website for the same price as Rails.

A LION has also been spotted on the prowl in Peterborough this afternoon......................................The owner a happy chappy as its a very nice model. Never new it was based at Finsbury park Depot for a very short while either..........:unsure:

Archived