Heljan Lion

Guest 47107

I feel a little unusual in that I have checked my Barclaycard balance and sure enough, the money came out a couple of weeks ago but I can't help but think "It'll turn up when it turns up..."

It is pleasing to see how well this model is being received though.

Another happy chappy here, a Lion shaped box from Sheffield arrived with the postman this morning, I have not had a chance to run the model yet but the appearance is more than satisfying.

The lack of hundreds of extra bits of plastic to fit/lose is also a bonus for me, Heljan really seem to have made an effort to keep people happy with this one.

It is turning out to be quite a good week so far, just got to make a start on making a dog house tomorrow, leaving Friday free for a session at the Winchester beer festival...D-R-I-N-K! :drink_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Another Lion on its way over the Irish Sea. Given the comments, I am really looking forward to it. I think DP2 will have to be ordered!

Both of them totally inappropriate for a late 80s Western Region layout, but who cares.

Hi all,

received mine yesterday, very happy with it apart from loose cab glazing at one end but as I was chipping it the body had to come off anyway. Runs very nicely.

But as a side issue thought you might be interested to see how it compares to the Silver Fox version, so here's a couple of snaps (hopefully, never tried this before).

Mike

post-9289-0-70450400-1300965839_thumb.jpg

post-9289-0-16811600-1300965855_thumb.jpg

post-9289-0-12783900-1300965874_thumb.jpg

post-9289-0-78958100-1300965906_thumb.jpg

As someone who continues to use the standard NEM couplings, it always seems a shame to me to hack away at the buffer beam details to fit one. I tend to only fit one end so that the other stays intact, but it makes it a bit less flexible on the layout. Anyway, nurse! The scissors... I'm going in.

Also, Heljan couplings always seem to droop really badly and therefore don't couple smoothly; hope this is better.

It really is a belting model though.

I know the feeling. I felt really guilty macheteing my way through the fine pipework on the limited edition 33s. Given my advancing age and the thought that once my friends have given me a good send-off they are going to be turning their attention to how much I was worth, I had the idea of fitting the couplings to Lion whilst leaving the pipework in place and thus maintaining its value.

I reasoned that although the pipes don't flex, the coupler housing does. To my surprise, Lion hauled a set of Bachmann Mark 1s around the layout without causing any derailments. So the pipes remain uncut and I retain the interest of potential beneficiaries. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Seems like my Lion was caged up for nearly a week by Royal Mail. Left Shaw, near Oldham (First Class Packet) on Wednesday March 16 and delivered in SouthEast Kent on Tuesday March 22.....Postman apologised for the delay.....staff shortages.....

Gave Lion a chance to stretch it legs last night and after seeing that it ran well on analogue, following Bromsgrove Model's suggestions, had a decoder installed, checked and programmed in 10 minutes. Easy peasy...just wish all models were as easy as this. Sound decoder will probably follow later....

Lion looks just great. In my opinion, the best yet from Heljan. Hope this bodes well for the other new releases due from Heljan,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Seems like my Lion was caged up for nearly a week by Royal Mail. Left Shaw, near Oldham (First Class Packet) on Wednesday March 16 and delivered in SouthEast Kent on Tuesday March 22.....Postman apologised for the delay.....staff shortages.....

Keith

How true that statement is.

Terry

Mine arrived today..finally...from Rails

what a beautiful model it is - only problem is - one of the headcode lights doesn't work :angry:

anyone else have the same issue - & is it fixable easily - or should I return to Sheffield pronto?

Cheers

Paul.

Lion arrives in Dublin.

What a lovely model, the best tampo printing I have ever seen.

Will have it's 1st run tomorrow. Looking forward to it :rolleyes:

Thanks Wife, for the Birthday (last Nov.) present.....

My 'Lion' is a real wobbler.I have run it in well with no real improvement.

Anybody else having the same problem?

Alan

Yes I did well 2 actually :angry: but my local shop now had a second delivery of these, and replace my second wobbler , wow this one is superb, smooth as you like tested in shop , even better on layout, overall fantastic model well worth the wait,

must say thanks to dave @ antics in coventry for sorting this one out for me, customer service second to none :D

• RMweb Gold

Lion arrives in Dublin.

What a lovely model, the best tampo printing I have ever seen.

Will have it's 1st run tomorrow. Looking forward to it :rolleyes:

Thanks Wife, for the Birthday (last Nov.) present.....

Couple of Lion's running around Dublin so. What do folk think of the nameplate? I think its actually fairly well done.

• RMweb Gold

Couple of Lion's running around Dublin so. What do folk think of the nameplate? I think its actually fairly well done.

It certainly is. I had a good look at one tonight, mine still in transit due Monday.

Finally unleashed my Lion today! B)

It's a stunning locomotive! I think it would be difficult to say which had more "wow-factor", Lion or Deltic....

Now as for the model, Heljan seem to have done a fairly nice job. And I must admit those roof fans really aren't too bad after all. So all in all I think it's been well worth the wait. Let's have a big round of applause for Heljan! :)

I have to confess, I actually went and washed my hands before handling this model as I was afraid of getting it dirty! :lol:

I don't mean to be a rivet counter, but it's just something which stood out boldly to me, and that is I can see some very minor issues with this model - which however shouldn't be too difficult to correct. That is:-

1. The coupling should be white, not black.

2. The headcode numbers would have looked much more realistic if they were flush with the "glass".

3. It seems the real locomotive had, at Number One (fan) end, a "plate" below the bufferbeam/behind the coupling, which is not present at Number Two end in any photos I've seen of the locomotive.

All very easy to put right though. So no major worries.

By no means a criticism, but just another observation is, another thing which struck me about the model was the thickness of the plastic. Perhaps it's a different type of material but it seems somewhat flimsy to me. My other Helan models (Class 33s; 47s; Western; Kestrel) seem more robust.

Finally, I'd like to ask my fellow RMweb brethren if any of you got a numbered certificate with your Lion, because I didn't with mine and I was expecting it, seeing as there was one with both Falcon and Kestrel. The only paperwork enclosed with mine was the history of the locomotive and the spare part diagaram. :unsure:

Mine arrived in West Oz on Wednesday, but only got to run it today! Washed hands before handling too!

Verdict: Superb, runs smoothly and quietly at all speeds, definite WOW factor, possibly Heljan's best to date? (Although I don't have a Kestrel).

cheers, Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

Received mine earlier in the week. I was interested to see that the buffer details had been factory fitted so no fiddling there!

I presume that this has to be partially removed to allow the tension lock couplings to be fitted. Anyone done it yet?

97403 Ixion thanks for the info about the certifficate.

the buffer details had been factory fitted so no fiddling there!

I presume that this has to be partially removed to allow the tension lock couplings to be fitted. Anyone done it yet?

Reading glasses on old chap :P ;)

As someone who continues to use the standard NEM couplings, it always seems a shame to me to hack away at the buffer beam details to fit one. I tend to only fit one end so that the other stays intact, but it makes it a bit less flexible on the layout. Anyway, nurse! The scissors... I'm going in.Also, Heljan couplings always seem to droop really badly and therefore don't couple smoothly; hope this is better.It really is a belting model though.

I know the feeling. I felt really guilty macheteing my way through the fine pipework on the limited edition 33s. Given my advancing age and the thought that once my friends have given me a good send-off they are going to be turning their attention to how much I was worth, I had the idea of fitting the couplings to Lion whilst leaving the pipework in place and thus maintaining its value.I reasoned that although the pipes don't flex, the coupler housing does. To my surprise, Lion hauled a set of Bachmann Mark 1s around the layout without causing any derailments. So the pipes remain uncut and I retain the interest of potential beneficiaries. ;)

:rolleyes:

Hi, is everyone happy with the paint finish on their Lion, or does anyone have any issues. To be honest, for £100 mine is a bit of a joke. I can see 5 places where scratches on the bodyside have been touched-up with a brush. It looks rather unprofessional. Just wanted to see if it was a general problem before I sent it back. Thanks !!!

Hi, is everyone happy with the paint finish on their Lion, or does anyone have any issues. To be honest, for £100 mine is a bit of a joke. I can see 5 places where scratches on the bodyside have been touched-up with a brush. It looks rather unprofessional. Just wanted to see if it was a general problem before I sent it back. Thanks !!!

Mine's as pure as the driven snow. Sounds like you've got a rogue one there........................

Archived