10000/10001

Pandora

They will sell their exclusive, black, versions for a price "similar" to the RRP of the green version.

Which would be about £106. I don't see what else it could be, so thats £18 less that Hattons Dapol version. I expect that Hattons profit margin will be big enough to enable them to reduce the price of the Dapol one to be competative if they need to.

This might end up to the customers advantage in the end, competition reducing price. On the other hand if either Rails or Hattons loose out they might thing again about commsioning another loco, so we might loose out too!

Jim

• RMweb Gold

My gut feeling is that Rails will pitch the black ones at £110 otherwise why would they have not said "at the same price as the RRP of the green ones"

Still lower than Hattons so may push them into reducing the price and reducing their margins....

Guest 47107

No it isn't.

That states exactly what I put in my last post prices TBA.

Bernard

Yes it is. Read the text on the left hand side.

Yes it is. Read the text on the left hand side.

I am.

Here it is.

'All advance orders we have received for green liveried versions will be honoured at our discounted price, details of which will be announced very shortly.'

As I said, price TBA. Anything else, at this stage, is speculation.

Bernard

I am.

Here it is.

'All advance orders we have received for green liveried versions will be honoured at our discounted price, details of which will be announced very shortly.'

As I said, price TBA. Anything else, at this stage, is speculation.

Bernard

Not on the black ones which are going to be a similar price to the RRP of the green ones (£106.60). The green ones will be under £100 from retailers with the discounting so its hardly complete guesswork.

Guest 47107

Quote "The RRP of the green versions is £106.60 but Rails will be offering these through our usual competitive pricing structure. The price of the black liveried versions exclusive to Rails will be similar to that of the full RRP of the green versions."

They may not yet have announced the exact price of the black ones, and nobody in the any of the above posts has said they have, but your original question was " Where do you get the information about 'considerably cheaper' from and how significant is the difference?", how much clearer can the Rails statement be ?

With the announcement of the Bachmann models of these two early diesels I am looking for an excuse to buy one.

I am aware they spent their early lives on the West Coast and St Pancras to Derby routes when they were shedded at Willesden/Camden, followed by a number of years based at Nine Elms to operate the Bournemouth and West Country routes but can anybody tell me whether they ever worked the Birmingham, Gloucester Bristol route during their lives? It would be nice to have a reason for use on my Bristol Barrow Road layout passing on a train in or out of Bristol.

Who needs an excuse - I'll probably get one anyway.;)

Robin

I hope this link works - I've not tried this before, but this mylink will hopefully take you to a thread from last year in which the Twins, their liveries and workings were discussed in some detail. If the link doesn't work then it's on page 7 of this Bachmann section.

In short, no the twins did not operate between Birmingham and Bristol but I'm sure the locos will look very good on your layout anyway! :D

Regards

Graham

I am aware they spent their early lives on the West Coast and St Pancras to Derby routes when they were shedded at Willesden/Camden, followed by a number of years based at Nine Elms to operate the Bournemouth and West Country routes but can anybody tell me whether they ever worked the Birmingham, Gloucester Bristol route during their lives? It would be nice to have a reason for use on my Bristol Barrow Road layout passing on a train in or out of Bristol.

Who needs an excuse - I'll probably get one anyway.;)

Robin

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when the pair were available they ran on the WCML together but when one was out of action / in works, the other one was used on St. Pancras - Manchesters. It may have depended on dreivers route and traction knowledge but, like you say, who needs an excuse?

I hope this link works - I've not tried this before, but this mylink will hopefully take you to a thread from last year in which the Twins, their liveries and workings were discussed in some detail. If the link doesn't work then it's on page 7 of this Bachmann section.

In short, no the twins did not operate between Birmingham and Bristol but I'm sure the locos will look very good on your layout anyway! :D

Regards

Graham

Interesting link Graham - thanks. I'm sure I can stretch the use of one for a Derby - Bristol - maybe a test run following a works visit :D

Robin

I notice that Hattons are quoting a pre order price of £87.00 for the Bachmann release. Price of there own release still £124.00, just wonder if the price of the Dapol/Hattons price might change.

I notice that Hattons are quoting a pre order price of £87.00 for the Bachmann release. Price of there own release still £124.00, just wonder if the price of the Dapol/Hattons price might change.

That was a pretty good guess by me then, but I'm still supprised they are even selling them as any sale will undermine their own/Dapol version with its associated costs.....

• RMweb Gold

My gut feeling is that Rails will pitch the black ones at £110 otherwise why would they have not said "at the same price as the RRP of the green ones"

Still lower than Hattons so may push them into reducing the price and reducing their margins....

Rails have announced the price of the black versions - £109.99.

Do I win a prize :lol:

Do I win a prize :lol:

Yes - the one penny difference! :D

That being the price for the Rails version, I'm going to hold out until I see some reviews of both sets of models before deciding which I go with. My gut feeling is that I like the Dapol one's front end better, but the Bachmann pre-pod looked better in the sides.

Going to calmly await events, and see what happens.

Interesting link Graham - thanks. I'm sure I can stretch the use of one for a Derby - Bristol - maybe a test run following a works visit :D

Robin

I dunno Robin, I don't think you can justify the one!.............................. Surely you'd have to get a pair for the testing on the 12-14 coach non-stop trial runs over the Lickey!!! Ummmm, you're going to need to increase the size of that fiddle yard!!! :P :D :D B)

Following a related enquiry, Rails' Dick Flower informed me that the black & chrome versions of 10000 and 10001 will probably be issued only as a boxed pair (initially but may be available individually later) as most orders so far received are for both locos in original condition. This set will be priced at £249.99. As previously mentioned here, the remaining black locos will be exclusive to Rails and will be £109.99. Rails price for the green Bachmann general release versions will be (quote) about £87 (RRP £106.50). This is generally good news if it is remembered that the original estimated price of all versions was to be c.£135. This should allow room for manoeuvre for anyone wanting more than two of these things. This also explains what many may have suspected following the Bachmann 2011 announcements.

RP

Following a related enquiry, Rails' Dick Flower informed me that the black & chrome versions of 10000 and 10001 will probably be issued only as a boxed pair (initially but may be available individually later) as most orders so far received are for both locos in original condition. This set will be priced at £249.99. As previously mentioned here, the remaining black locos will be exclusive to Rails and will be £109.99. Rails price for the green Bachmann general release versions will be (quote) about £87 (RRP £106.50). This is generally good news if it is remembered that the original estimated price of all versions was to be c.£135. This should allow room for manoeuvre for anyone wanting more than two of these things. This also explains what many may have suspected following the Bachmann 2011 announcements.

RP

Thank you Roy - thats very interesting! The green versions are the ones I am after. If the price you suggest Rails will sell the BR green ones is correct, I think Rails will get my money after all, regardless of the quality debate between the Bachmann and Dapol offerings. They do not look so different that they are not both instantly recognisable as 10000/10001, after all.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I see Rails have finally put a price on the green Bachmann 10000/10001 for pre order, the price being £85.50 which if you add postage is £90.

Hattons are showing £99 plus postage for the same models.Price still the same for there Dapol Version £124

Just wonder who is going to sell the most. :D :D :D

Archived