10000/10001

Pandora

Okay, am I the first person to convert one to the 'broader gauges'?

10000 was delivered an hour ago, was tested for good running and then the bogies were off, wheelsets out and pulled out to EM. I would normally wait until there is a proper conversion wheelset available but I wanted to try this idea of pulling out the RTR wheels. The difference here is that the wheels are live on the stub axle so can be pulled along the axle by the 1mm required for EM without causing the wobbles of the damaged plastic wheel centre bush seen on other models. The job was done and the wheelsets refitted. The RTR wheels at EM B2B  rub slightly on the brake pullrods but the loco runs as before. The RTR wheelsets come out at 22.1mm overall and if I had used Gibson or Ultrascale they would be 21.1mm in EM so plenty room. P4 diesel wheelsets I have are 21.65 so maybe just enough clearance. The brake pullrods are a soft plastic and the assembly is located with pegs so some paring away could be done if necessary. I will fit a proper conversion set when available, the wheels need to be live on the stub axle as the pick-ups are on the brass axle bushes.

And guess what? ..... The brake shoes line up with the treads in P4.

Now for some lunch whilst staring at this cracking model.

Dave Franks

Oh, and I forgot to mention, once moved out the RTR flanges rub on the brake cross-shaft at the inner end of the bogie just a bit so one needs to trim a wee bit off for clearance.

Only just Dave!

Used same method here.....

• RMweb Premium

Just received. mine today, just a quick look out of the box and it confirms my worst fears......it is an absolutely stunning model! the detail is incredible and fine! the body is nice and weighty. Will run it in the next few days. Bring on the the sound chip from Biff at DC kits and I shall be a happy person. There have been some wonderful examples of early diesel and electric locos, 10000/1 and the Deltic represent what can be achieved. Not too many more of these fabulous locos left to do, surely Bachmann will tackle 18000 someday soon, even if it is for a commission.

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking at the DCC set up with Paul Chetter as the loco as standard uses F1 to switch the cab lights, so sound on, cab lights on :O

Going for a remap to make F3 cab lights and F4 horn - no need for two horn sounds on 10000 ;)

(can you not switch the cab light off with a switch underneath?)

I agree Roy, my 10000 is beautiful but is missing 10001 terribly, i may have to reunite the twins in the near future

Sadly, only 10001 got preserved, and will be seen making occasional trips in green syp livery through Winchester in the late 70's..........

It's a little known fact that the NRM set up a satellite preserved diesels site in the late 70's within Eastleigh BREL works which included Kestrel, Falcon, Lion, a pair of Clayton's, D6326, D8407, D8233 and eventually D600 & 10201 when restored to service................. :O

• RMweb Gold

Obligatory postcard through the door yesterday. Down to the PO this morning. Agree it's a rather nice model given that I am remembering them from when they run through New Street.

Nice that you can change the headcode from Class 1 to Class 3 and turn off the tail lamp but I wish you could do the same with the cab lights.

Sadly, only 10001 got preserved, and will be seen making occasional trips in green syp livery through Winchester in the late 70's..........

It's a little known fact that the NRM set up a satellite preserved diesels site in the late 70's within Eastleigh BREL works which included Kestrel, Falcon, Lion, a pair of Clayton's, D6326, D8407, D8233 and eventually D600 & 10201 when restored to service................. :O

I heard about that! That's why acquired the Heljan traverser.

Apparently, there's all lot of other stuff down there. Some of which we've never even been told about. I find the part built DP3 most intriguing!

RP

I fitted a 557 decoder this morning, and my example runs beautifully.

Setting CV3 and 4 to 5, with CV29 at 22, and CV25 at 11 it picks up smoothly. No problems with a rake of 10+ Mk1's.

The banger plate which fits in the NEM socket clashes with the brake pipe when added, and requires the three link to be hooked right up to avoid fouling.

It is lighter and generally finer than the Dapol offering, however I have had two years of fun running my LMS liveried model, and have no intention of chopping that in for the Rails one.

Livery is magnificent. What really struck me is the fineness and flatness of the glazing. Best I've seen on RTR.

N

Obligatory postcard through the door yesterday. Down to the PO this morning. Agree it's a rather nice model given that I am remembering them from when they run through New Street.

Nice that you can change the headcode from Class 1 to Class 3 and turn off the tail lamp but I wish you could do the same with the cab lights.

Cab lights. Strange that one, the instuctions say that you can alter the head code lights and switch off the cab lights with the switches on the underside but the switches are marked Switch 1 - F or P for freight or passenger headcode and switch 2 - tail (light) on/off. no mention of the cab lights. So, someone has boobed....

A rewire beckons methinks, cab lights would not be on when running IMHO.

Dave Franks

My 10000 arrived on Thursday. Just enough time for me to paint the buffers red, add overhead warning flashes and shed plates, plus weathering...in time for Thorncombe show today. (See photo of the real 10000 in 1962, which I based my model on).

Drew lots of positive comment...Bachmann have come up with a winner.

Terry

post-18114-0-30959700-1384033306.jpg

post-18114-0-49905300-1384033309.jpg

post-18114-0-91573900-1384033312_thumb.jpg

post-18114-0-30522200-1384033316.jpg

• RMweb Premium

First of all a question for Terry, did you manage to turn your cab lights off? If so how did you achieve this?

Ran mine today for the first time, cab lights on all the time in direction of travel, slightly silly set up, will get them changed when I get sound decoder, or do away with them altogether. Ran very smooth if a little noisy, looks great though. Is it as good as NRM Deltic out of the box? Yes on looks no on running, Deltic gets 98% from me 10000 gets 95% but all in all a fantastic model which will improve with running.

First of all a question for Terry, did you manage to turn your cab lights off? If so how did you achieve this?

Ran mine today for the first time, cab lights on all the time in direction of travel, slightly silly set up, will get them changed when I get sound decoder, or do away with them altogether. Ran very smooth if a little noisy, looks great though. Is it as good as NRM Deltic out of the box? Yes on looks no on running, Deltic gets 98% from me 10000 gets 95% but all in all a fantastic model which will improve with running.

I fitted a Bachmann decoder I had spare and ran it yesterday with the cab lights off. I think they are too bright for daytime running.

I changed the speed from 28 to 128 steps and it ran very nicely after that.

The only criticism from a couple of people yesterday was that the view through the bodyside windows is a plain grey 'slab'. I have found a picture of the actual engine and will scan it and scale it down. Then fix it inside. I'll post when I've done it.

Yes they do......

Thank you for that. I was looking at the Penbits webpage last night and they have a nice EM/P4 conversion for the Bachmann Cl37 http://www.penbits.co.uk/Content/Class37.html ; does the model of 10000 share the same mechanism? If it does then it ought to be possible to do an EM/P4 conversion quite easily.

Regards

Thank you for that. I was looking at the Penbits webpage last night and they have a nice EM/P4 conversion for the Bachmann Cl37 http://www.penbits.co.uk/Content/Class37.html ; does the model of 10000 share the same mechanism? If it does then it ought to be possible to do an EM/P4 conversion quite easily.

Regards

The bogie axle centres are totally different between Cl37 and the Twins though......so doubt the Penbits etchings will do what you  want without severe alteration, in which case making your own parts from scratch would possibly be easier?

Archived