Reading redevelopment

Big crane now on site so not long to go.....

It's raining hard too, suspect a few wistful glances being cast in its direction from the commuters.

I saw that the crane was there setting up at 6.30 this morning. Fully rigged by late morning, but it was almost 1500 before they hooked up to the bridge span.

After yesterday, I half expected they'd be taking some of weight out of the span, before lifting it off, but it looks like most of it was intact.

I'm assuming that the other section comes off tomorrow?

• RMweb Gold

Overnight tonight it appears.

I suspect that is the case as both ends were being 'relieved' with temporary supports this afternoon.  An interesting new vista has opened up of course although it's very different from the one that was there before the footbridge.

Incidentally I see that the foundation tubes have been put in for ohle supports immediately in rear of the signals at the east end of the new platforms - looks like a touch of 'design clever' has struck there unless some very lightweight and thin uprights are intended.  The basic two headspan wires have been installed through the whole length of the IEP/East Yard sidings although only a couple of the headspans are any further beyond that stage.

Overnight tonight it appears.

There is no reuse planned, it's being broken up and sent for scrap.

Yes, I saw/heard the "nibbler" in use this morning but was too busy photographing 60163 and 34067 to take any pics.

There has been a tamper floating about in the new platforms this week though cannot see what its doing now theres no footbridge to stand on :-(

There are a few OHLE gantries appearing, no doubt the wires need to be in as well before they open on 2nd April?

The new northern entrance is getting there, ticket barriers & escalators are in and they are fitting out the new ticket office & machines.

post-7035-0-22356800-1363966416.jpg

The new subway has sprung a leak and it seems to be getting worse, not sure what NR are doing about it as no signs or barriers but it is getting slippy.

post-7035-0-96163000-1363966417.jpg

The demolition of the old underground car park & subway to the south has gone very quickly this week with only a few feet left to go.

post-7035-0-07691400-1363966415.jpg

Local rag says the MPs & Hesiltine were given a guided tour on Monday and NR chief, Sir Higgins was there on Wednesday for a coffee and some sight seeing. I wonder if was asking if he could scratch the new track before the public?

11 days to go....

"Local rag says the MPs & Hesiltine were given a guided tour on Monday and NR chief, Sir Higgins was there on Wednesday for a coffee and some sight seeing. I wonder if was asking if he could scratch the new track before the public?"

here's the link about their visit:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/business/s/2131285_heseltine_seal_of_approval_for_reading_station_development

For enthusiasts of trains in odd places don't forget the...............

165/166's working all the way down the B&H to Westbury

HST.s through the Wylye Valley and up the SW mainline

The saturday Theale - Robeston Lindsay tanks are booked via the B&H with the remainder of the usual Saturday freight via the Wylye Valley & SW mainline.

A charged-up camera and some reasonable weather (hopefully not sunny - too many tree shadows these days) and an interesting long weekend in prospect

Hi

At around 7.20 this morning, 2x Class 73 crossed the M25 at Chertsey with an empty Network Rail rail train heading towards Weybridge / Byfleet - presumably on the way back from Reading.

For enthusiasts of trains in odd places don't forget the...............

165/166's working all the way down the B&H to Westbury

HST.s through the Wylye Valley and up the SW mainline

The saturday Theale - Robeston Lindsay tanks are booked via the B&H with the remainder of the usual Saturday freight via the Wylye Valley & SW mainline.

A charged-up camera and some reasonable weather (hopefully not sunny - too many tree shadows these days) and an interesting long weekend in prospect

Don't forget the other diversionary route - Bristol & South Wales HSTs via Didcot, Banbury and the Chiltern Line into Paddington.

That must be a different Reading to the one that I used to live not to far from, or the alien invasion that destroyed my home town (Bracknell) is gradually moving west. It's lucky I escaped to the West Country, and then Wales!

• RMweb Gold

I would think there are quite a few busier stations south of Watford, what is the definition of "south" in this case?

Keith

'South' in this case will almost certainly mean 'in BBC South's local news region - especially as it was Paul Clifton fronting the piece.

According to some ORR info for 2010-11 carried on Wiki, and hopefully accurate, Reading is the 22nd busiest station in Britain ('busy' is based on passenger count both departing and arriving but excluding people changing trains).  The total number of passengers using Reading in that year was 17.299 miliion, Wimbledon (21st with 17.694 million was the next busiest, and Fenchurch St was immediately below Reading in the list with 16.888 million.

I'm not sure if Brighton and Gatwick Airport (also in the top 30 but not as busy as Reading are in the BBC South region but none of the other stations in the top 30 busiest are in that region - so the report was accurate.

Incidentally those staircases up to teh new footbridge are massive - I sincerely hope that the escalators will be more reliable than the present ones and won't be taken out of service for routine checks etc during the main part of the working day.

• RMweb Gold

Well not surprisingly there is quite a bit going on today (and I was even able to direct some S&T folk to a particular signal they were looking for :O ).  Anyway a few general view including some taking advantage of an excellent new vantage point ;)

The east end -

post-6859-0-32747000-1364563754_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-75257600-1364563830_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-46655000-1364563858_thumb.jpg

The west end -

post-6859-0-87957000-1364563906_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-59735500-1364563992_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-99930000-1364564024_thumb.jpg

What lies between them -

post-6859-0-23752100-1364564085_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-40780400-1364564157_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-10870100-1364564127_thumb.jpg