Royal Wedding challenge and follow up progress

john new

• RMweb Gold

Anyone up for a not the royal yawn (wedding!!) challenge tomorrow? Nothing complicated, only one rule, no gauge restrictions and kits are acceptable just the simple build something in a day exercise to take your mind off the royal yawn.

No prizes, just post the outcomes on here later. The one rule - no starting today (28th) and stop at midnight on 29th April. All local time zones acceptable.

If you don't complete it finishing off outside the challenge time at your leisure is of course OK, but please stick to the midnight on 29th April only rule for posting us details of how far you got.

To start the ball rolling I'm probably going to have a second go at the Pebbles End diorama I built in a day for the Gnatterbox cardboard challenge back in 2007, but this time with some working track and power or have a go at a new idea based on a similar local location.

I have always like the concept of that little model but was never satisfied with the build quality hence the second go.

Personally, I will be too busy. What with work and trying to test a few N Gauge diesels for running on Saturday, with a Royal themed display outside my wifes shoe shop in Hunstanton.

Luckily I have trial for a job tomorrow which means I can avoid it and not end up playing the royal wedding drinking game. Might also attempt a van of sorts.

• RMweb Gold

Three of us are going on a nice research field trip to the heart of Sussex. Does this count?!:P ;)

I think that this might avoid all the fuss!....then again I'm finding myself curiously slightly interes..t...e....d......nah........!:rolleyes:

Sounds good but i have to work as my company doesnt recognise it as a holiday so i wouldnt have long to do anything really! Will be interesting to see what people come up with.

I've got a Bachmann 37425, Vitrains 37800 and Bachmann 150276 to convert to P4 with Alan Gibson 'drop in' wheelsets. 37425 will be a trial as the middle axle of the bogie is lower than the outer axles, so I've come up with a cunning plan which my Lord Black Adder would heartily approve of. Hopefully they'll all be ready to try out on Danby on Saturday morning.

• RMweb Gold

With my growing collection of blue diesels, I'm going to have a go at making a small MPD photo diorama, in the style of Sandhills.

Foam board for the base, a couple of lengths of track, and Scalescenes paper.

Should be possible.....

I could, of couse, use a couple of boxfiles instead....

This is the sort of madness I'd be well up for, had I not cranked my way through an average of two wagon kits a day this week, to the point where I've run down my stash tongue.gif

I recall the sleeve notes to VICE SQUAD's debut album, which was recorded on the day of Charles & Di's wedding - in suitably irreverent style. I think what I'll do this time is offer to help NGQS's owner build the long-promised bar in his railway room wink.gif

• RMweb Premium

Sounds good but i have to work as my company doesnt recognise it as a holiday so i wouldnt have long to do anything really! Will be interesting to see what people come up with.

Likewise, the myth everyone will have the day off is sadly misguided.

Rob

• RMweb Gold
Likewise, the myth everyone will have the day off is sadly misguided

Yes, yet another total f*** up by Whitehall in issuing short-term statements of intent not binding legislation.

I am luckily now retired but before I retired the organisation I worked for, and every other similar one across the country, were several times screwed for £'000s because we had to pay for system changes to meet Whitehall set instructions and guidelines but such guidelines had not been set by legislation so fell outside the maintenance contract agreement with our software suppliers!! This is just another example - a statement by the Prime Minister does not create binding employment law or a even a proper Bank Holiday.

Wedding? What wedding? - Ahh the one that is selling millions of newspapers... And in a few years time selling millions more as the editors outdo themselves to pul the marriage apart. Sheer hypocracy (and I'm a royalist):huh: !

One thing I am glad about. As I only work two hundred yards from the Abbey I'm glad it's my rostered day off. Getting to work would have been a nightmare. The downside of the day is that I'm hosting a barbie celebrating the happy event so won't be doing any modelling. Upside? The weather looks good so I can be outdoors cooking whilst the ladies are indoors weeping :lol: .

Whatever you do - have fun & I look forward to seeing the results.

Regs

Ian

PS - If this is the 'Not the 2011 Challenge', what happened to the real one??

• RMweb Gold

For me 9am BST was start time, the saccharine sweet TV coverage switched off, coffee made and importantly the big decision also made. That was do I do a shoebox sized replacement for the first 09 version of Pebbles End or an upsized version in Gn15/1:24? I'm going to go for the shoebox version.

• RMweb Gold

You are just ahead of me Stubby. Base now gluing up. Had one of those silly time waster setbacks earlier, the one box I wanted from the storage area, the track box with some new points in it, was the only one hidden from view in the last tidy up!!

• RMweb Gold

new%20pebbles%20end%20IMG_0638.jpg

Running a bit later than expected but lunch-break time with the track down. New build posed in front of old one. Now to run off the building "printie" ready to start the mark 2 shed. This one will have opening doors.

Instead of Project 'Record Debut Album' (ibid), Operation Catch-Up or Clear Workbench has been progressing well.

So far, a Parkside 20T LNER/ BR Plate wagon packet has been shaken, cut, fettled, assembled and glued and now joins the queue awaiting painting; my latest Highland Baby Sulzer's cab domes have been filled and filed three times, aiming for a coat of primer by close of play; twin Ratio Steam Bananas have been mated with carve-up Dapol chassis and await me finding better buffers than are supplied in the kit; I am now eyeing Project 100 to see if any progress can be made there. Or do I head out and help my mate build the bar in his railway room...?

Instead, do I feel an unrelated WR blog entry coming on?

This morning I decided that this was a challenge I ought to accept. Investigating a box of salvaged Airfix/part built Parkside and other unknown mineral wagons, I decided to try and create another 2 cassettes worth of coal wagons. So far, the necessary 28 have been given various attention including provision of couplings and loads with some still requiring transfers and final titivating. I've even overshot the target a bit as there are another 3 towards the next cassette!

The earphones have been on BBC 6Music on the iPlayer all day to ensure that no 'news' programmes leak through and tea is being consumed from an appropriate mug.

Pictures to follow when I've charged the camera battery....

A test run with the WD and the finished train before midnight is the target.

Andy

On a tea break

Archived